MultiGP Announces New FPV Wing Racing Rules

MultiGP allows fixed wings to officially race in the 2016 season. But how will the rules go over with racers?

Splash

The Fixed Wing Rules Are In For 2016!

Opening up the exciting hobby of FPV racing to all the plank pilots out there, MultiGP has introduced the rules for the 2016 season. You may notice only three rules to fly by at the moment, and that was done on purpose, accirding to MultiGP president, Chris Thomas: "you may see holes on these specs where certain airplanes may have an unfair advantage. I encourage you to exploit these as much and as often as you can. We will revise these specs after the first quarter of 2016 based on what feedback we receive from chapters."

So the idea is to test the wing racing format for the year, with MultiGP chapters reporting back on their thoughts, and further refinements being made. I was curious if standard airframes with a fuselage and tail would be allowed to race, as the infographic lends itself to wing racing only. Chris replied to me by saying "[standard aircraft] can compete if it does not have a rudder." That means my VAS Banshee is fair game because it does have a pair of vertical stabilizers, but no rudder. The classes are divided into three size brackets listed in the infographic below.

The rules are as follows:

• Max motor size is 2700kv
  • No rudders
  • No EDF units

Check out MultiGP's homepage for more information

Jan 13, 2016, 08:28 PM
Great work guys.

Where can i get more information?

Ive checked out he webpage but I was unable to find anything out.

Ive got a few multirotor events under my belt but I wouldent know where to start with setting up a "wing" event or even a track

Is there anymore information for event managers like myself so we can get an idea of how different safety and track layouts will be compared to multirotors?
Jan 14, 2016, 01:36 AM
Curious what models people are flying... I sold my Wing Wing Z84 and that would have made for a great little wing racer.

OTOH, my larger RVJets (short and long wings) would not. Wings have terrible "mobility"

Why no rudder? I feel the best fixed-wing racing platform might be small high wing planes like a mini skywalker.
Jan 14, 2016, 06:14 AM
iFly SL
More than anything else, the size and design of the racing course will define the airplane design. Is there any information on that? Will the planes be flown in the same courses now used by FPV drones?

sportjet
Jan 14, 2016, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjet View Post
More than anything else, the size and design of the racing course will define the airplane design. Is there any information on that? Will the planes be flown in the same courses now used by FPV drones?

sportjet
+1, need to know.
Jan 14, 2016, 09:17 PM
with FPV system, medium size will be good for this.
Jan 15, 2016, 12:30 PM
Looking forward to details on the course layout. Sooner the better as my local chapter is working on setting up a new site and we have an event at the end of the month.
Jan 15, 2016, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjet View Post

sportjet
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Won;t the airplane design dictate the course design. One has to think about the turning radius of the planes.
Jan 16, 2016, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga View Post
...think about the turning radius of the planes...

This is what I was thinking as well... Wings would need a huge course compared to a 250 quad. I like the look of a flying wing in flight though, it would be great to watch!
Jan 16, 2016, 09:12 AM
In Slovenia we plan to have 800-900mm wing 3S class , modified Z-84 flies great at approx 350-360g RTF weight.

Races will be held on the same course as miniquads, maybe simplified little bit but not much

MultiGP SLOVENIA intro [OneDrone DemoTeam] (2 min 49 sec)

Interest is huge!!!

Jan 17, 2016, 06:25 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
We will be watching and setting up a course at the 6th Annual South Eastern FPV Fly-In.

To me this is more excited than Quad racing.
Latest blog entry: 6th Annual South Eastern FPV...
Jan 18, 2016, 08:08 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
We will be watching and setting up a course at the 6th Annual South Eastern FPV Fly-In.

To me this is more excited than Quad racing.
Agreed! Love the fixed wing!
Jan 18, 2016, 07:17 PM
also agree, fixed wing would be a lot more fun.

I'd like to do stock class, everyone on same equipment, so it's a skills challenge.
Jan 19, 2016, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Why no rudder?
Good question... Quads use yaw/rudder to make relatively flat co-ordinated turns, which helps them see where they are going. I can imagine that flying a wing fast on a tight FPV track would be tough if you have to fly it "bank and yank", as you wouldn't be able to see through the turn.
Jan 19, 2016, 02:10 PM
The rules that were released have been changed a bit. There is going to be an open class. That will encompass fixed wing with or without rudder as well as a place for the wings such as delta wings (i.e. Stryker/funjet/rvjet) the "wing class" is designated for flying wings only.