Jan 12, 2016, 02:35 PM
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar9
Discussion

Hangar 9 Carbon Cub 15cc

Not sure if this the "right" thing to do? But the new Hangar 9 Carbon Cub has been released for pre - order ( Stock expected March )
There is a thread running in a separate part of this forum which focuses on Glow/ petrol power. However. Lots of discussion there is about electric set ups. This model was developed to be operated with either Gas, glow or electric power from the start. In fact the flight testing and video was done mainly using the electric set up.
I just thought it maybe of interest in this section as it is Giant scale and electric suited.
I am happy to try and answer any questions. For now here's a link to the other section for those interested.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2577184

As well as a link to the actual model itself.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...n%20Cub%2015cc
Last edited by Ali Mach; Nov 09, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2016, 07:04 PM
DFS#000178
I definitely think this needs some presence in this section since it's also an electric plane and not many electric guys ever venture down to the fuel subforums.
Jan 13, 2016, 11:07 PM
FYI. The Video for this model just went live this evening.

Hangar 9 Carbon Cub 15cc ARF (3 min 50 sec)
Jan 13, 2016, 11:45 PM
Wow !!! Very impressive . Not only a fun looking cruiser but would be alot of fun for all types of pilots . I`m wanting to go big this spring and so far this looks like it might be the "One" .
Jan 14, 2016, 09:58 AM
An image that helps lend scale to the model.
Jan 14, 2016, 05:44 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Mach
An image that helps lend scale to the model.
I love that color scheme... I need another Cub like I need a hole in the head but it's just so pretty...
Jan 14, 2016, 09:59 PM
Mine is ordered going with a 110 and 8 cells it's what I have on hand.
Jan 15, 2016, 12:24 AM
DFS#000178
I have a bunch of 4S 5000 packs. Run them mostly in parallel in an RMRC Anaconda. I could see running them in series in this, though. They've been excellent packs.
Jan 16, 2016, 06:27 AM
One more flight...
i am curious about performance on the 6s option with floats.
Jan 18, 2016, 04:04 PM
Ali,
I'm wondering about a little bit more motor than the associated Power 60. I'm looking for say another 50 to 100 feet vertical with possibly an aileron roll thrown in along the way. What can you say about the Power 90 or 110 in this airframe?
Jan 18, 2016, 08:30 PM
I pre-ordered mine from my LHS. My plan is to move all my gear from the Eflite Carbon Z Cub that is no longer with us, to this ship. No more hovering with this air frame for me.
Jan 18, 2016, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOJONES
I pre-ordered mine from my LHS. My plan is to move all my gear from the Eflite Carbon Z Cub that is no longer with us, to this ship. No more hovering with this air frame for me.
I was considering the same thing do you think the motor will be enough?
Jan 19, 2016, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyss
Ali,
I'm wondering about a little bit more motor than the associated Power 60. I'm looking for say another 50 to 100 feet vertical with possibly an aileron roll thrown in along the way. What can you say about the Power 90 or 110 in this airframe?
I have not tested the air frame with this much power so I could really not say how it would work out. Its one of those things where I have seen people overpower planes in the past and with sensible throttle management they have had great results. On the flip side. I have seen many ruin a great plane by putting in too much power and not being overly compassionate when using it.
I do worry about the extra weight. Not only the AUW but also the extra nose weight implications of fitting bigger motors and batteries. I have flown with a 6S 5000mah battery during testing. Whilst it flew without issue. It was obvious that the model handled differently. Higher loaded ( Which was not too much of a big deal ) But noticeably nose heavier.

Hope this helps?
Regards Ali
Jan 19, 2016, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOJONES
Transplanting the internals from a Carbon Z Carbon Cub is something that was asked somewhere else.
Whilst I am sure it would fly. It wont have breathtaking performance. Very scale like is my estimation.
Also. Be aware that the 30cc is designed for standard size servos all round. The Carbon Z was not.

Regards Ali
Jan 19, 2016, 12:46 PM
Hi Ali,
Noted: your flying video done with 4000 mah and a 16 x 10e prop. Also noted the recommended battery size is a 50000mah.

Were you at the maximum height when doing the vertical maneuvers or were you just "keeping it in camera range"? Is the 10 pitch prop necessary for knife edge? Did you test with a 16x8?

Also What is the C rating on your batts. and the ES size, Hv80 amp?

Thanks
Last edited by Garyss; Jan 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply