Sep 14, 2021, 09:08 AM
Just ordered a sea fury with admiral 6 Chan stab plus receiver for my first warbird. Good or horrible idea?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2021, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB_141
Just ordered a sea fury with admiral 6 Chan stab plus receiver for my first warbird. Good or horrible idea?
Personally would not recommend as a first warbird. They fly well but are fairly heavy and need care with the elevator on takeoff and landing.

Id leave this in the box and try and get hold of an EF lite P47 (any version) or maybe a Corsair by the same co.

Cheers Shaun B
Sep 15, 2021, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmantooth
Personally would not recommend as a first warbird. They fly well but are fairly heavy and need care with the elevator on takeoff and landing.

Id leave this in the box and try and get hold of an EF lite P47 (any version) or maybe a Corsair by the same co.

Cheers Shaun B
Thanks Shaun. Was having trouble finding anything from eflite other then the Trojan which doesn’t really excite me. Seems most of there warbird are out of stock or discontinued other then the 1.5m mustang and FW which I know is too much plane
Sep 16, 2021, 07:39 PM
Quote:
I agree with Shaun on this one. She flies heavy and would not make a good first warbird. It took me a while to get my Seafury flying right and I used to nose over a lot.

An Eflite P-47 would be great. But my first warbird was a Dynam Hellcat.. It had a wider stance then a spitfire (Better ground handling), is nice and light and flew like a dream.. I held onto my Hellcat for 7 years before I sold it on. Kinda regret doing so.. Or the Dynam corsair or P-47 would fit the bill to..

Good luck with it!

Cheers,
HT
Sep 21, 2021, 12:06 PM
My sea fury came in. Still got some final setup to do but it’s a really good looking plane. Nice fit and finish. Now I just need to get good enough to fly it
Sep 23, 2021, 06:43 AM
Quote:
My sea fury came in. Still got some final setup to do but it’s a really good looking plane. Nice fit and finish. Now I just need to get good enough to fly it
The finish looks great! Much better than mine from memory, but mine was purchased years ago..

Just make sure the CG is correct. I had to add a fair bit of weight to the nose to get it in the recommended range. Even with a graphine 4000 4s lipo.

All the best with her! Keep at it and you’ll be tearing up the sky with her in no time!

Cheers,
HT
Sep 23, 2021, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyTacco
The finish looks great! Much better than mine from memory, but mine was purchased years ago..

Just make sure the CG is correct. I had to add a fair bit of weight to the nose to get it in the recommended range. Even with a graphine 4000 4s lipo.

All the best with her! Keep at it and you’ll be tearing up the sky with her in no time!

Cheers,
HT
Thanks HT

I should be able to get my feet wet on a eflite Trojan or air tractor before I step into the sea fury. I agree it’s a great looking plane. Finish is really nice 👍🏻
Sep 25, 2021, 04:03 PM
Welp I maidened the sea fury today after getting one flight in on the eflite trojan

I got her in the air ok and cruised around for a few minutes. Was getting ready to set up for approach the plane rolled to the left and then nose dived. Damage wasn’t too bad all things considered and having never flown a warbird before outside of one flight in the trojan I think it went ok ��

I may get a spektrum receiver with safe on it. But we will see.
It’s a gorgeous bird and I had no problem getting it in the air. It didn’t want to fly very level which I now think may have been from a manufacturing error, see below…
Last edited by DBB_141; Oct 19, 2021 at 08:12 AM.
Sep 27, 2021, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Thanks HT

I should be able to get my feet wet on a eflite Trojan or air tractor before I step into the sea fury. I agree it’s a great looking plane. Finish is really nice 👍🏻
Strongly recommend you try the Trojan. Its not a great looking plane, but an ideal low wing "trainer" as you step up to warbirds. I've got an old 1.1m Trojan that goes out every weekend, its my go to for "dumb thumbs practice," prior to getting my nice birds in the air. It's been crashed many times, but I've added flaps, replaced the wings, added a second pilot in the cockpit, etc. But it still keeps going.

Its gotten to the point that if this plane is not operational, I generally don't fly. Although the Ultix 600 is gradually weening me away from this viewpoint.
Sep 27, 2021, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknTan
Strongly recommend you try the Trojan. Its not a great looking plane, but an ideal low wing "trainer" as you step up to warbirds. I've got an old 1.1m Trojan that goes out every weekend, its my go to for "dumb thumbs practice," prior to getting my nice birds in the air. It's been crashed many times, but I've added flaps, replaced the wings, added a second pilot in the cockpit, etc. But it still keeps going.

Its gotten to the point that if this plane is not operational, I generally don't fly. Although the Ultix 600 is gradually weening me away from this viewpoint.
Thanks BnT I did get a couple flights in on the Trojan. The sea fury is definitely more of a handful. I don’t have room for a bunch of planes so I may put a safe select rx in the sea fury to make it a bit more manageable.
Oct 19, 2021, 08:09 AM
So after my failed maiden which I thought was maybe just my inexperience I believe my motor board may have been in correct from the factory. Can someone help me out with the motor mount/ thrust set up on this plane? It seems my motor/board may have a fault from the factory. The mount board is shimmed at the bottom, see picture. It likely contributed to a crash on its maiden flight. Looking at the replacement motor board I got it is shimmed with down thrust. Is this an error from the factory? Will motion help me out? Kinda bummed as it did a number on the retracts, banged up the wings and fuselage along with a bent motor mount. what I thought was my pilot error may have been a manufacturing error.
Last edited by DBB_141; Oct 19, 2021 at 08:15 AM.
Oct 19, 2021, 11:06 AM
You most likely can't see the down and right thrust because the outer edge of the mount is buried in the fuselage. This would have affected all of your flight if it was wrong, IE: uncontrolled climbing under power. Most likely got too slow and stalled it listening to your description. If this plane gets too slow it will stall and snap into a spin.
Oct 19, 2021, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu5tanggt
You most likely can't see the down and right thrust because the outer edge of the mount is buried in the fuselage. This would have affected all of your flight if it was wrong, IE: uncontrolled climbing under power. Most likely got too slow and stalled it listening to your description. If this plane gets too slow it will stall and snap into a spin.
It’s definitely not down and right. I can take a picture with the prop on when I get home but if you look at the picture of the mount in the plane you can see there is a spacer at the bottom of the motor board. And in fact the spare motor board I have is an entirely different design. Also the spare fuse I have has the same board as the spare motor board I have.

I won’t deny there may have been some pilot error but it was very hard to control the attitude of the plane fore and aft. And an incorrectly assembled motor setup would contribute to the unpredictability.
Oct 21, 2021, 12:57 PM
retired ATC
dbb where was your cg set at ??? what battery did u use and how was it placed in the battery compartment? iam just nosey as i have one coming
Oct 27, 2021, 11:55 AM
retired ATC
got my sea fury put together and like everyone else i had to put about 2 oz in the nose..flew it with a 4000 all the way forward and it flew a bit nose heavy..tryed moving he battery back a half in to see if the cg was as usual wrong. flew about the same. took out a half oz and it still seems to cg at a good spot...biggest problem now is still the nose over on landing it touches down nice and soft rolls 10 feet and noses over lol... 3 times it has nosed over ,,, three for three on nose overs.. going to take out more weight and try again.. btw it also nosed over on take off roll unless you hold it run it up full power and release then it jumps off the ground
Last edited by ron1950; Oct 27, 2021 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply