Jan 12, 2016, 05:15 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking at creating RC Flight events here in UK, ideas and thoughts welcome!

I've got experience of organising and managing events here in my home town, with attendances ranging from a couple of hundred people for the smaller events to well over 2000 people for our biggest event. I run a social enterprise, our goals are to promote community spirit and unison, encourage entrepreneur-ism in our community and to promote family activity. We run a range of activities and events for this. We're a non-profit, community interest company, so any profits and assets we have are turned over for the benefit of our community.

Although I'm still pretty new to the hobby, having taken it up last summer, I want to see if I can organise some RC flight events here in the UK. My idea is to get family units out together, to try out RC flight, whether it be multi rotor or fixed wing, but also offer more seasoned enthusiasts something to enjoy too. I think the experience could be great for families and hard core enthusiasts alike. It could help mend some broken bridges in terms of the public's perceptions of the hobby too.

We've got a lot of event equipment, the contacts we'd need for the usual event stuff like caterers etc. etc. We do have an event insurance policy in place that covers our events for up to 10m but we'd probably need to pay a premium for the RC flight activities to be covered. We'd probably try a couple of regional events first, to test the waters with the idea.

So, as enthusiasts, what would draw you to such an event? Would it be all about what's happening on the flying strip or would you like other activities happening at such an event? If you've been to such events, what did you enjoy the most and the least? If you're in the UK would you be interested in getting involved with such an event?

I'm definitely going to be sounding this idea out. It may not have legs to stand on but I think it's definitely worth exploring.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2016, 11:50 AM
Stuart

Here is the link to the AMA here in the US.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

I am sure they would be of great help to you and what you are looking for.

thanks

CARL C ISNEROS AMA DIST. IV
CONTROL LINE RACING BOARD
Jan 12, 2016, 12:28 PM
Before you spend much in the way of time or resources, you might want to check with your government to see what plans may exist for regulating model flight in the future. You may decide to ditch the aircraft for this first event and use ground and water based models only. Model aircraft can be added in following events, if deemed appropriate.

Following AMA guidance on anything involving models may not be the best advice for you.

Good Luck!
Jan 13, 2016, 12:53 AM
Stuart

I almost forgot

try the BMFA
Jan 13, 2016, 01:20 AM
Crazy Canuck
Well I guess you are far enough away from the NO FLY ZONE in the DC area to have your own club LOL
Jan 13, 2016, 09:00 AM
aint that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 13, 2016, 11:58 AM
That sounds like a great idea.

As was previously suggested, contact the BMFA as they may have set up similar public outreach events in the past. They can probably help with demonstration ideas, safety guidelines, special insurance if needed, local laws, etc. as well as put you in touch with local clubs who have probably done demonstration flying in the past. Safety would be of primary importance and you would need full control of the flying and viewing areas.

If this is to introduce the general public to the model aviation hobby have flight demonstrations set up throughout the day highlighting different aspects of the hobby as well as static displays of the various types of aircraft so they can see them up close.

Flights of scale models, park flyers, some pattern flying, combat, fpv racing, sailplanes, 3d fixed wing and heli, jets, whatever you think would best show the diverse aspects of the hobby in the space you have available.

A kids building area and flying of rubber band powered free flight models that they can take home and get them involved would be nice if the budget allows. There are some on aliexpress as low as £1.23 / piece in lots of 10.

For the slightly (or a lot) older, you could have introductory flights of high wing park flyer trainers using a buddy box system. These are probably the easiest aircraft to pick up on. Again, you local clubs could probably help with this.

Don't forget to include "Drone Rides" if there is any FPV flying, especially proximity flying. Have extra goggles or monitors set up so the public can see what it's like from the aircraft's point of view, as well as settle some fear of the "high tech spy cameras" that will quickly be dispelled once they see the quality of view from an FPV setup.

Good luck with whatever you plan and keep us posted, we could use some positive press around here.
Jan 18, 2016, 02:52 AM
Thread OP
Brilliant advice everyone, thank you very much and really appreciated. Waltm, I love the suggestions you made, they would be great, especially the kids build area and the rubber band powered planes, I'm sure the young kids would love that.

I've got a meeting lined up with our local town council to sound the idea out informally. I've also got some meetings arranged with our local school about community engagement so I may put this idea to them and see if they could get involved, either with the event or some relevant extra curricular activities. If the council agree in principle, the next step will be to approach the flight clubs and the BMFA. As I'd be reliant on using council owned land, I want to sound the idea out with them before I go any further. Fingers crossed but I think they would welcome the idea as long as safety was paramount. I'll post up as and when I have more info

Quick Reply