Jan 11, 2016, 10:53 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Discussion

RC Classics redesigned for 1S

Between my dislike for foam and my interest for vintage RC designs, I was inspired to create some classic RC designs to fly in our small indoor venues. I thought I would post my plans here for anyone else you may be interested. These designs all utilize the Parkzone P-51 motor/prop and Spektrum brick.
I will update this post with pics and pdf's.

Dwarf - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=22
Flite Streak - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=39
Kaos - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...95&postcount=5
LiveWire - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=15
Twin Skylark - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=38
Ugly Stik - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=21
Last edited by FlyingTyger; Mar 04, 2016 at 11:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2016, 11:02 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
First up wil be my Micro Kaos. I have a few updates to make to the plans before they are ready for upload. Prototype features a castoring nose wheel but taxis quite well still. I found it to be able to do most basic aerobatics including inverted flight. Loops are not very tight due to the long tail moment, but still managable even under our 20' ceilings. Covering is Coverite Coverlite. The canopy was carved from foam.

Debolt LiveWire Trainer coming soon...
Jan 12, 2016, 07:09 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
pretty interesting plane there. I also tend to build with wood more than anything.. I slope soar alot and I still build out of wood aside from my foam core wings sheeted with wood. not alot of us still around. everyone seems to have arf's...its cool but everyone and I mean Everyone has one.. I like what you doing there...

guamflyer
Jan 12, 2016, 07:12 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
I've been looking at really small slope type areas and looking for ideas..I fly stand off scale alot and saw ur posts..any new ones? please post pics
Jan 13, 2016, 03:18 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP

Kaos

Here are the pdf's or the Kaos plans in both fullsize (18x24") and tiled formats. Also attached is a pdf of the graphics I cut for my prototype.
Joe Bridi designed the original Kaos and it was published in 1970. He followed up that design with the Super Kaos in '73. I used these Super Kaos plans as the basis for my micro design.
Last edited by FlyingTyger; Jan 19, 2016 at 12:54 AM.
Jan 13, 2016, 06:56 PM
Or current resident
This is a great idea!
I built Andy's LilSatan and used the UM brushless setup. It's a hoot to fly!
I have accumulated a number of 6400 bricks both 1S and brushless and have started building smaller models. Benefit of sub 5.5oz models is no FAA registration required......
My only concerns with the 1S setup is the motors don't last too long and how long replacements will be available.
Glenn
Jan 13, 2016, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
My only concerns with the 1S setup is the motors don't last too long and how long replacements will be available.
I assume you mean for the brushed gearboxes? Are any of the motors sold for toy quads suitable?
Jan 14, 2016, 12:13 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
Hi FT -

I sure like this concept and will be watching here... thanks for posting the Kaos plan....

best regards,

jeff
Jan 14, 2016, 04:15 AM
cranium accessories
Awesome concept! Love the Kaos. Do you think a full-flying horizontal stab would work with the brick servo? Would definitely help tighten up loops!
Jan 14, 2016, 03:42 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustn
Awesome concept! Love the Kaos. Do you think a full-flying horizontal stab would work with the brick servo? Would definitely help tighten up loops!
The brick may be able to handle a full flying stab. It definitely would give it more elevator authority.
Jan 14, 2016, 03:48 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
The LiveWire prototype is done and ready to go. Plans are finalized too. We have indoor flying scheduled for tomorrow night, so I will be able to test fly it then. If all is good, I will post the plans.

Meanwhile, I keep drawing while I wait for parts to arrive for the next one....
Jan 14, 2016, 06:01 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
This is a great idea!
I built Andy's LilSatan and used the UM brushless setup. It's a hoot to fly!
I have accumulated a number of 6400 bricks both 1S and brushless and have started building smaller models. Benefit of sub 5.5oz models is no FAA registration required......
Glenn
So far I have had good luck with the Parkzone motors (knock on wood). I have one that is three years old now and still going strong. I have had to resolder the plug onto the end of the motor wires on two of them, but that's the only problem I've come across. And I fly alot. I usually fly 6 flights minimum per hour (approx 4 minutes each) during our indoor sessions.
Jan 14, 2016, 07:14 PM
Or current resident
I have some that have many many flights on them and others that didn't last long at all.
Jan 15, 2016, 02:51 PM
Pan Pan Pan
I like this idea! Looking forward to the Debolt LiveWire Trainer.

I enjoy building with balsa and have never tried to build with foam. Glad these will be balsa. Thanks for doing this.
Jan 16, 2016, 12:34 AM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP

LiveWire

The LiveWire flew perfect. So here are the pdf's in both fullsize (18x24") and tiled formats. Also attached is a pdf of the graphics I cut for my prototype.
The Live Wire Trainer was designed by Hal Debolt and was released as a kit by Dmeco in 1952. The Live Wire series became very popular for Dmeco over the next several years.
Last edited by FlyingTyger; Jan 19, 2016 at 12:57 AM.

Quick Reply