Jan 20, 2016, 05:24 PM
Ken, I was thinking... (always dangerous) This one might be a good candidate for the hinging technique that DBacon posted.

A CF Tube is cut into sections and glued to the TE of the flying surface, and then a CF Rod is passed through the sections of tube. The control surface is then glued to the CF Rod. You could extend the rod into the fuselage and use it as a torque rod for control. That way, you could drive both ailerons from a single internal servo.

With a little bit of shaping, you could make this a zero gap hinge.

There's my $0.02 Take it for what it's worth.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2016, 05:50 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Okay, I've decided on these motors. Not as big as the 2204, but looks to be plenty powerful for this size model. Plus I want to try these out. Couple them with Turnigy Plush 10 ESCs

Ken

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Jan 20, 2016, 06:41 PM
Nice.

Just need to find a way to remove that anodizing and give the prop nut some shine.

Add a couple three blade props:

And you're ready to go.

Are you thinking 5 Gram servos ?

Rudder, or just differential thrust ?

1000 Mah 2S ?
Jan 20, 2016, 09:28 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter
Nice.

Just need to find a way to remove that anodizing and give the prop nut some shine.

Add a couple three blade props:

And you're ready to go.

Are you thinking 5 Gram servos ?

Rudder, or just differential thrust ?

1000 Mah 2S ?
Yes on the 5g servos. Probably 6 of them. Rudder, elevator, aileron (2x), and flaps (2x). This plane will be flexible as flaps could be optional.

Both rudder (on left stick) and differential thrust (on aux 3 knob because I can) as separate functions. Optional on the DT.

I was thinking more like 1000 mAh 3s.

Ken
Jan 21, 2016, 09:00 PM
You know... I don't think I had an appreciation of the size of this model. I had to go read your first post again. For some reason, I was envisioning something much smaller.

Personally, I still think I would build mine with a single aileron servo, no flaps or rudder, and the smaller motors I found, to keep it as light as possible. I like where your head is at, though.

This is going in the build queue for sure. Keep us posted!
Mar 18, 2016, 07:39 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Still gonna build this one Ken?
Mar 18, 2016, 08:05 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
Still gonna build this one Ken?
Yes indeed!

Ken
Mar 18, 2016, 09:06 AM
Warbirds Lover
Quote:
Ken, I was thinking... (always dangerous) This one might be a good candidate for the hinging technique that DBacon posted.

A CF Tube is cut into sections and glued to the TE of the flying surface, and then a CF Rod is passed through the sections of tube. The control surface is then glued to the CF Rod. You could extend the rod into the fuselage and use it as a torque rod for control. That way, you could drive both ailerons from a single internal servo.

May be the 2.4GHz don't mind it but... be careful.

I used such hinges many years ago on an airplane .

Carbon is a "not too bad" conductor of electricity and i had some interference problems because when the two carbon parts rubbed the one in the other it created some interference and Rx perturbations - i was using a 41MHz Rx/Tx.
It may be safer to use a plastic tube as a sleeve for the carbon rod
May 08, 2016, 07:57 PM

still going to build this one Ken?

I hope this has not been forgotten. Looking for a general aviation twin like this one.
May 09, 2016, 07:08 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Yes, been working on it recently. The design for the wings, nacelles, vertical stabilizer and rudder, as well as the horizontal stab and elevator are complete. Just working out the internal details for the fuselage.

Ken
May 31, 2016, 05:42 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
I've been away from the groups for a while. I come back to find this project... interesting. I will be watching. :-)

J.P.
Jul 20, 2016, 01:38 PM
Hi Ken. Just a friendly nudge.
Jul 21, 2016, 10:05 AM
Build it and it will fly!
Quote:

I've used a similar application using a wooden dowel and plastic strapping. It works fine on my DR1,, but I haven't flown it yet
Sep 11, 2016, 03:04 PM
Ken did you ever get the internals for the fuselage worked out. Just curious, it's been a while since any posts on this thread. still watching with interest.
Sep 11, 2016, 05:43 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
I've been quite distracted this year.

Ken

Quick Reply