Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Pics of the chocks.
Thatís pretty slick!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2021, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Thanks guys - yes, I'd prefer to go with a single battery pack, I have a couple of little used 4s1p 4200mah packs, which should fit the bill. The connectors have got to go, I long ago standardised on 4mm gold bullets, before any of the current connector types were even thought of. The upgraded landing gear is moot, as Motion RC don't have stock just now.

SanDiegoUteFan - I read you are using an AR620 in this model -I guess you are doing that through the integrated module in the wing for ailerons, flaps and gear with just three receiver ports?
The other thing- I saw the pictures of your P-38 in your van. I've been looking at the possibilities of having a van, just for model transport - could I ask how are you securing these fully rigged models in your van? Always open to good ideas for model storage and transport. :0
I went with one 4S 5000mah battery, added extensions to each servo/retract cable to make it easier to mount the receiver. Actually mounted a wooden board inside the tight enclosure for the receiver, that gave me additional room to mount the receiver away from top canopy and away from the bundle of wires. Itís not very pretty inside the battery/receiver area because of all the glue and additional wood needed to reinforce after the crash, but itís a good fit with receiver mounted safely and wires are not stressed to rip out.

Will enclose a few pictures, give others another view to mount the receiver and battery wires. Please note, my P-38 has gone through a terrible crash and had to rebuild the battery/receiver mid-Wing fuselage from scratch gluing all the broken foam pieces. Overall it looks decent enough to show , and still flies great. Will also include a picture of the crash after gathering up the pieces, and another after the rebuild.

Good luck, youíre going to enjoy your P-38,
Paul
Sep 14, 2021, 07:37 PM
Does it have invasion stripes?
THAT is one of the most impressive rebuilds Iíve ever seen! Hats off to you, sir!
Sep 14, 2021, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoUteFan
THAT is one of the most impressive rebuilds Iíve ever seen! Hats off to you, sir!
Thanks San Diego,

I was determined to put it back together original, Luckily all pieces came together and the pieces beyond repair used balsa wood.

Actually did order a midwing section and battery/receiver fuselage for future replacement, Iíll probably switch over if I ever crash it again. Did crash again last month, but was able to repair again leaving it original. This time was a rear rudder portion, and front boom motor assemblies caved in. All good now, canít even tell.

Thanks!
Paul
Sep 14, 2021, 08:18 PM
DANG Apolonio- that is an INCREDIBLE rebuild!!! Good on ya!
I put in the upgraded LG mains but still need to do the nose, then rake them. Waiting to build it out completely as there is no room in the hanger. Found an awesome pan/tilt gimbal from Turbinfancy/motionsic, that will fit perfectly.
Sep 14, 2021, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukhan
DANG Apolonio- that is an INCREDIBLE rebuild!!! Good on ya!
I put in the upgraded LG mains but still need to do the nose, then rake them. Waiting to build it out completely as there is no room in the hanger. Found an awesome pan/tilt gimbal from Turbinfancy/motionsic, that will fit perfectly.
Thank you Loukhan,

Good luck on the build, sheíll fit together easily with minor adjustments. The upgrade retracts, yes indeed the nose is the toughest. I actually ordered another set of retracts and upgrade struts, for backups. And shortened/soldered the retract connectors to connect in the wheel bay area, now if I switch out a retract donít need to fuss with rerouting of cable. Can replace a retract in minutes now, very simplified.

Enjoy your P-38, sheís definitely a joy to fly !
Paul
Sep 15, 2021, 12:15 AM
Get One Up!!!
Thanks Paul - that is a stunning rebuild. From the pictures I would have thought that there would be very little chance that model would fly again, Well done on an outstanding result.
Sep 15, 2021, 06:32 PM
Thanks Leccy,

Haven’t flown the P-38 in three weeks, I’ll take her out this coming weekend. My favorite part of flight are during take offs, P-38 handles runway takeoffs with ease she’ll run straight as an arrow with little rudder stick movements. It’ll eat up most of the runway and lift off towards the end, Beautiful site to see.

Enjoy the P-38, definitely a well made RC warplane.
Sep 24, 2021, 08:48 PM
I want to fly this but I am very unsure just where the CG should be any help out there?
I used this photo, measured right at the engine nacelle, is this right? Of all the planes I have this on this one, I am unsure of.

Ken
Last edited by Ken Smith; Sep 24, 2021 at 08:54 PM.
Sep 25, 2021, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith
I want to fly this but I am very unsure just where the CG should be any help out there?
I used this photo, measured right at the engine nacelle, is this right? Of all the planes I have this on this one, I am unsure of.

Ken
I am running a 6s setup and placing a 4000 pack as far rearward as possible.

Landings are much easier on the nose strut.
Sep 25, 2021, 08:22 AM
Retired US Navy
Marwady, is that supposed to be information he can use to set his CG??

Even if he had the same set up as you and used the exact same battery there are still small differences so that someone should never use another persons battery position to set their balance point.
Sep 25, 2021, 08:23 AM
Retired US Navy
That's what worked for me. Balancing it anywhere in the little circle on the wing works.

Quote:

Ken
Sep 25, 2021, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Marwady, is that supposed to be information he can use to set his CG??

Even if he had the same set up as you and used the exact same battery there are still small differences so that someone should never use another persons battery position to set their balance point.
Just offering what works for me....
Sep 25, 2021, 12:03 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Quote:

Ken
Here's where my Lighting balances, vs Chinese and U.S. reference points and recommended CG ranges... Outstanding flight characteristics at this CG.

J.B.
Sep 25, 2021, 12:13 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
I never got around to posting pics of my Lightning. I wanted a unique livery, so I went with the paint scheme from the 459th Fighter Squadron ďTwin DragonsĒ in Burma. The airplane represents Lt. Harry Sealyís P38-F, ďHaleakalaĒ (named for the Hawaiian fire god). I made vacu-formed hub caps for the main wheels since they are a prominent part of the paint scheme. The nose cone and exposed servos were painted with matching Home Depot sample paint. The clear plastic around all of the lights were painted as well. I used a combination of Rustoleum rattle-cans, airbrushed Testor enamels, custom-cut vinyl sheets, custom-printed water-transfer decals, and cut-vinyl masking film to make markings (Yellow dashes were a B#&*%!). I made the vertical tail numbers with my cutting machine using the large, white squares in the kit-provided decal set. There is still some detailed painting and weathering to be done, but I wanted to get some air time on the bird before finishing that up.

Quick Reply