Feb 07, 2020, 11:35 PM
Der Schaum-Kriegsvogel Pilot
Motion appears to have quietly changed it, the link would be on their site. From what I'm gathering, they added ribs to the backplate to help keep it from breaking. Do an image search on this thread, and you'll see new vs. old pics.

I really don't want to go to the trouble of changing to different props, spinners, batteries, ESC's. I'd like a cheap and easy fix to be able to fly my plane safely...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2020, 12:37 AM
Captain Coolite
I have used the same props and spinners for 50 flights now.
Iíve had some prop strikes, on grass runways, and no damage.
Iíve always inspect3d after prop strikes, and, so far so good.

Donít stress mate, the supplied props and spinners should be fine..... based on my experience.

Go for it and fly.
Feb 08, 2020, 08:07 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI
Motion appears to have quietly changed it, the link would be on their site. From what I'm gathering, they added ribs to the backplate to help keep it from breaking. Do an image search on this thread, and you'll see new vs. old pics.

I really don't want to go to the trouble of changing to different props, spinners, batteries, ESC's. I'd like a cheap and easy fix to be able to fly my plane safely...
I don't see any difference.

Mike
Feb 08, 2020, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Long time, no check in...

I see Motion now has an upgraded spinner backplate. Does it work? Or more appropriately, has anyone that is using them had a prop strike, followed by a catastrophic failure?
Yes I saw that and tried ordering a spare set from Motion RC, but when they came they were the old type without the extra reinforcement, so I guess the upgrade backplates are only available with new planes at the moment
Feb 08, 2020, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2
Yes I saw that and tried ordering a spare set from Motion RC, but when they came they were the old type without the extra reinforcement, so I guess the upgrade backplates are only available with new planes at the moment
That's disappointing. I wonder if I called them and asked if I could get the new ones...
Feb 08, 2020, 02:39 PM
Quote:
That's disappointing. I wonder if I called them and asked if I could get the new ones...
Itís got to be worth a call. Iíd be interested to know how you get on.
This is what I found after a flying session last year. No prop strikes or anything, but I thought the plane had an unusual sort of buzzy sound to it during flight, glad I checked before it failed
Feb 08, 2020, 03:09 PM
Yikes, that's not good! Doesn't look like the reinforced spinners would have helped in that area either...
Feb 08, 2020, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2
Itís got to be worth a call. Iíd be interested to know how you get on.
This is what I found after a flying session last year. No prop strikes or anything, but I thought the plane had an unusual sort of buzzy sound to it during flight, glad I checked before it failed
Nasty. I make it a habit now to inspect the backplate every 3 or so flights. Already saved me once when when I found a radial crack in the backplate.

HT
Feb 08, 2020, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyTacco
Nasty. I make it a habit now to inspect the backplate every 3 or so flights. Already saved me once when when I found a radial crack in the backplate.

HT
Definitely! I do the same thing myself now.
Feb 08, 2020, 08:50 PM
During my build, I back filled the spinner plates with epoxy. My guess is that crack would not happen with the epoxy fill. I've had no prop strikes, but have only flown mine maybe 3 times now(?). I love how this plane flies, just need to get it out more. I have four of the 4s 3000's, so I can get two flights per outing.
Feb 20, 2020, 06:18 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Hi friends let me shime with you all that last Sat. was the maiden of my P38... went to the runway with a couple of friends, good day to maiden.. only we were on the flying club, light wind from east straigh to the runway... sunny but cold..., superb meteo for flying our warbirds and scratch built e vintage sailplanes. D
id three flights, two with my well honed 3.700 mah. batts and other one with new one motionrc. 2.500 mah... all set up travels, mix and cg per instructions... give power and oh boys what a nice surprise... straigh like and arrow from the bench... doesnīt need trim at all, feel really confortable after some seconds of flight...with half flaps feel really nice and slow, scale really low, down on the deck passes... flaps up and power and this ship moving, and have a good maneuvers repertory... must to keep calm myself and think it was only the very first flight..
Gear down with a long aproach and ... what a nice surprise... one of the best easy landing warbird I ever seen...
Of all my fighter WW2 fleet, and this incluides P-51, P-47, Spitfire and ME-109 this one is the best, friendly for the pilot and well manners I ever seen... doesnīt need to say that love this ship... not only by the looks also by the fine performance and easy handling...
Want to give thanks to all buddies whose posted here cause I find a invaluable fountain of information about this ship and somewhat you all did a contribution the maiden... will do a video soon...
Next step is remove the canopy and do a more scale interior and pilot but will take some time...no prop strikes at all but take note about prop issues and will check removing nose cone every two or three flying sessions..
All my best.

Manolo Barba.
Feb 20, 2020, 07:56 AM
Glad to hear your maiden flight went well! Hoping to take mine out again when the weather finally settles down.
Feb 20, 2020, 03:06 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Tx so much...
Manolo.
Feb 23, 2020, 08:50 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
(6 min 39 sec)
Video...
Feb 23, 2020, 12:42 PM
The guy in the hat has some friken huge arms on him

Funny as this P-38 looks so little next to the Liberator, but seems big when you have it out. A couple of nice war birds for sure.

Quick Reply