Nov 27, 2021, 02:26 PM
Work hard, play hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangBanger
Chuck...how much to ship the wreck to Alberta, Canada? Just curious...and a bit of a vulture...
Simon, I’d pull the motors, ESCs, and retracts. If you’re interested in just the foam, I can check into packaging it as small as possible and shipping it.

PM or email me, if you want to discuss this more.
Last edited by Oxotnik; Nov 27, 2021 at 02:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2021, 02:32 PM
Work hard, play hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
The P-38 flies very light even with heavier batteries. No fear!
I agree. She is on the heavy size, for a plane of this size. Definitely keep the speed up in the turns. Landing, though, you don’t have to land crazy fast. You can definitely land slow enough for a nice flare. I’ve always liked the wing loading of my P-38. It has always been a go-to plane on windy days.

I’m really looking forward to getting the new one up and flying.
Nov 27, 2021, 03:03 PM
This plane really does not like crosswinds on landing.
Nov 27, 2021, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith
Man this is one heavy airplane! I haven’t flown mine yet been fooling with it off & on. How fast are you landing this model? I am thinking about 40-45% throttle. I had to add 6 pounces of nose weight, the Hobbystar battles I am using weight 8.4 as opposed to the suggested batteries that weigh 10.4 oz, so I am starting 4 oz in the hole.

Has anyone weighted their model, if so what is it

Thanks, Ken
Mine weighs 4.1 kg in total with a single battery 4s 7000mA 80C, 590 grams (so-called RC-Car battery) I understand your concern regarding the weight. I bought my P-38 used. Once home, I put it together for the first time, weighed it and thought: this is a brick for display only! And the battery was not even included! But I was convinced here, in this forum, that weight was not a problem, which raised my self-confidence before the first start. I just made sure to have a little weak headwind, as help the first time. Personally, I think it's easier to land a slightly heavier model. It is less sensitive to possible turbulence near the ground. I usually land with the throttle closed, or almost closed on the final. The propellers spin freely and brake nicely then.

Peter
Nov 27, 2021, 04:54 PM
I can fix that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Pankratov
This plane really does not like crosswinds on landing.
I can't say that that has been my experience.
In fact I would say that most of my lightly wing-loaded planes are more skittish in a crosswind than the P-38.
Nov 27, 2021, 08:47 PM
Retired US Navy
I agree Doug.
Nov 28, 2021, 03:04 PM
Does it have invasion stripes?
+2 in agreement with Doug. I flew mine yesterday midday at the club field. The wind had most everyone out of action. I reached for the big P-38 and logged two flights while everyone watched with admiration. Both landings were flawless greasers. It actually drew applause from some of the newer members.
She never disappoints! 😎
Nov 29, 2021, 07:19 AM
Work hard, play hard
+4. I’ve never experienced a problem with crosswind takeoffs or crosswind landings. With the high wing loading of this aircraft, it’s a great windy-day (including crosswinds) flier. Rudder and throttle are your friends when landing.
Dec 22, 2021, 04:17 PM
Hi All,
Finally get to building mine. I guess its an older version as none of the control linkage were installed. It also only had 5 sets of screws (don't know if thats right as the manual indicated ones I did not have-ordered replacements from motion). Idk if its my covid fever or if I'm missing something - in regards to the esc wires, do you NOT pull 1 red wire and just Y them together? Never had a multi engine plane before.
thx for any assistance/direction-sorryif this is a redundant question.
Dec 22, 2021, 04:20 PM
Retired US Navy
On this you don't need to pull a red. Just Y them...
Dec 22, 2021, 05:00 PM
Work hard, play hard
And you don't have to Y them, if you've got an available channel to give each throttle its own channel (and mix them with the rudder). I agree with Evan, there's no need to pull the positive wire out of either throttle cable.
Dec 22, 2021, 07:03 PM
The only time you need to pull the red wire is if you're running a separate BEC.
Dec 23, 2021, 02:09 PM
Does it have invasion stripes?
Since we're on the topic of a fresh build. I highly recommend doing a Y-connector for a single battery pack. I use the HRB 4s 5000. It gives plenty of punch and balances perfectly.
Dec 23, 2021, 04:35 PM
Work hard, play hard
Ute, I have quite a few 4S-5AH batteries and I use them. However, after losing my first P-38, due to a battery that took a shat during the initial climb out, I prefer to run dual batteries with a parallel power harness ( both batts feeding both motors). It’s all about what you feel presents the most risk and what you’re willing to do to mitigate that risk.
Dec 23, 2021, 04:39 PM
Retired US Navy
Great post!

Quick Reply