Oct 09, 2019, 10:15 AM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps
I have decided to convert mine to 6s. I test fitted one of my 4a 6s pacs yesterday and the CG if not just a very small amount more nose heavy remained the same. Any one report flight times with a 4a 6s using the MAS 11x7 3 blade props? Ive tried searching with not much luck. Thanks to all.
I was getting 5- 6 minuets of hard flying (60% and more throttle. loops, verticals, fast and low) and my last flight before my crash on Takeoff I got 10 minuets. I was using 5200 mah packs. The 10 minuet flight was formation flying at 40% throttle.

Gravy
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2019, 12:54 PM
bps
bps
Thank you for the information
Oct 09, 2019, 06:28 PM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
Well I couldn’t resist. Motion had one in the scratch and dent for $340. This time I’m going to drill and tap a set screw in the prop adaptor so it has no chance of flying off again.
The P-38 was one of my all time favorite flying warbirds. I just had to replace her.

Gravy
Oct 09, 2019, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravythe Clown
Well I couldn’t resist. Motion had one in the scratch and dent for $340. This time I’m going to drill and tap a set screw in the prop adaptor so it has no chance of flying off again.
The P-38 was one of my all time favorite flying warbirds. I just had to replace her.

Gravy
Congrats! I've rebuilt mine 3 times and never have regretted the time or money to get it back in the air. Just one of those planes I'd always miss if it weren't in the rotation.
Oct 11, 2019, 07:25 AM
bps
bps
I just ordered my props from Master Airscrew directly, in stock and free shipping over $25. I tried to order from Tower but looks like their shipping is $9.99 now. I have extra spinners so we shall see how it goes!
Oct 13, 2019, 04:51 PM
Hopefully weather will be good tomorrow and I will be able to get some flights in on the 38. 19000/MNwarbirder will you be out?
Oct 13, 2019, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter49x
Hopefully weather will be good tomorrow and I will be able to get some flights in on the 38. 19000/MNwarbirder will you be out?
As luck would have it I'm busy all day. Hope you have a great day! If anything changes I'll let you know. BTW if you have a spare "Pudgy" decal I could use it.
Last edited by 19000rpm; Oct 13, 2019 at 05:13 PM.
Oct 13, 2019, 06:27 PM
gahh, I was going to do my maiden today, and had everything assembled ready to go. When I powered up, for some reason one of my main retracts wasn't coming down?? Another guy and I were doinking around trying to see what was going on, and ended up just bringing it home. When at the field, I ended up flipping the connectors upside down, so the ground was on the wrong pin, at home I just pull everything off and started over again. Everything is working now, so all I can guess is the original problem was one of the connectors had come loose or something, as they had been working through several cycles beforehand.

Has anybody had any intermittent problems with the blue box before? I'm still curious as to why all of a sudden things just stopped working.
Oct 15, 2019, 09:04 AM
MNWarbirder
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
As luck would have it I'm busy all day. Hope you have a great day! If anything changes I'll let you know. BTW if you have a spare "Pudgy" decal I could use it.
I’ve got one - saved all of them and glad to give away. Lmk if you want me to mail or just wait for a decent flying day (in MN October that could be a while!).
Oct 15, 2019, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWarbirder
I’ve got one - saved all of them and glad to give away. Lmk if you want me to mail or just wait for a decent flying day (in MN October that could be a while!).
Thanks MNW. No need to mail. I'll catch up with you out at the field.
Oct 15, 2019, 03:29 PM
P-47 and Luftwaffe fanatic
Well i got my Robart tires today. 2.75's for the main and 2.5 for the nose. I think it'll make the appearance will be better!
Oct 15, 2019, 04:44 PM
Finally had my maiden today I've had this plane built for over a year, and just never had taken it out for one reason or another, and thought I'd better poop or get off the pot, so goes the saying. Things for the most part were totally smooth. Good take off power, no trimming (that I could tell for now), and smooth in the air. I just kept things simple without any stunt flying, just flat and turns.

The only "event" that did happen and had me worried once I was in the air, is the rubber wheel came off one of the main landing gear on take off. There was still the hub, just no rubber part on one wheel. I figured I might as well finish the flight and figure things out around landing time (ok, I thought about it before landing time). I figured I'd just drop full flaps and come in nice and slow like. I was mostly worried about hitting a prop, but that didn't end up happening. The wheel hub provided plenty of clearance so the plane just rolled on in. I came in super flat and smooth, touched down, and the plane did spin some because of the different drag between the two landing gear, but no prop strike or wing dragging. Once on the ground I laughed, but when in the air, I was just a tad worried as to what would happen.

My landing gear is not stock, but was provided by the guy I bought this kit from. I "think" the mains are off a P-51 and the nose wheel is off a P-47 (????). I had to do a lot of foam cutting to make them work, but they are large and look good with really nice shock absorbers. The main wheels as they come have the rubber tire and outer hub cap/hub just slide onto the inner hub. I had left them that way as there is a C-clip holding the inner hub to the axle, and I didn't know if I would ever need to get to that. They are glued now, so I'll figure out about that C-clip in the future if I ever need to.
Oct 16, 2019, 03:22 PM
bps
bps
I just received my props from MAS so that I can convert from 4 to 6 cells. I could not resist a pair of 13x12” props both push and pull for $10 each. Before I convert to 6 cells I am going to check amp draws with the stock set up and 13” props using 4 cells. Interested to see what I get.

I tested each prop on 4s and here are my results

Std 12x7 prop 44 amps per motor
11x7 MAS 22.5 amps
13x12 MAS 52 amps

I did not get a chance to test the 11x7 on 6s yet. That will give a comparison as to how accurate my tester is.
Last edited by bps; Oct 17, 2019 at 12:32 PM.
Oct 17, 2019, 10:44 AM
Do you mean 13x8 (as first mentioned) at 52 amps?
Oct 17, 2019, 12:32 PM
bps
bps
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas
Do you mean 13x8 (as first mentioned) at 52 amps?
Good catch. It’s 13x12. I made the correction in the post. Thanks for catching that!

Quick Reply