Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 11, 2016, 06:28 PM
Lawrence Godson
Thread OP
Question

Wanted: RC tank transmitter programming for Dummies

The title would describe my ultimate dream for myself for this hobby .
For now though I would just be satisfied with a "for Dummies" step by step (with no assumptions of prior experience) explanation of how to create and also to deactivate the mixing function for channels 1&2 (right hand joystick). I had someone create, long ago, a program on my Futabe 7C transmitter which went like this for the tank drive control:
Channels1 and 2 are mixed and assigned to the right hand joystick such that they control the two drive motors on my tank (an Armortek Panther).
Push the joystick straight forward and both motors go in the directions which result in straight ahead movement, lean the stick to the right and the right track starts to slow etc.. I have copied this program to the model 2 programming slot for my new model (a Metalbox Luchs with all new Field of Armor control and sound internals) but the catch is that my new control system which has its own mixing board (inside the tank) negates the need for the internal transmitter mixing. Figuring out how to "un mix" channels 1&2 on the right hand joystick is my first and most important goal right now. I can not find anything in the 7c manual which I can understand to be the correct step by step (button by button) procedure to do this unmixing. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.
Larry
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2016, 01:52 PM
Here is the mix settings I use (on Flysky FST6), hopefully your Futaba is similar. You could substitute channels 1 and 2 for the right stick instead of left. I've not used that transmitter but if you can find the mix menu and turn any mixes off, then it should return to normal.

I ran the esc's into the 3rd and 4th channels(left stick). On my Flysky FS-T6 I went into the functions menu and scrolled down to MIX. I turned Mix #1 On
Master ch.3

Slave ch.4

Pos mix 100%

Neg mix 100%

Offset 0

I then turned Mix #2 On

Master ch.4

slave ch.3

Pos mix -100% (note this negative 100%)

Neg mix-100% (note this negative 100%)

Offset 0

When I push throttle forward, both motors rotate in same direction/backward=same direction but the other way.

When I move stick side to side they will counter rotate, rotation depending on which way the stick is pushed.

When I push throttle forward and stick to the left the right motor increases speed and left decreases and vice versa for other directions.
Jan 15, 2016, 12:00 PM
Dongskie
I've been looking for this

I have a 7ch Tx/Rx and plan to use 2 ESC's for the L & R motors.

IS it possible to do mixing? like one throttle stick for both ESC and a steering stick to control each esc?

Im stumped as well
Jan 15, 2016, 03:37 PM
Yes, the above setup will work for what you're talking about. You would just substitute channel 1, in place of channel 4. This would give you throttle on the left stick and steering with a side-to-side movement on the right, like an old RC car stick radio.

So basically, mix # 1 setting is just slaving a 2nd channel to your throttle movement, allowing both esc's to move in unison, i.e. both forward, both backward at the same time.

Mix # 2 creates an inverse of the first mix when you push the steering channel left or right, and is proportional to how far push the steering stick. So, for example, if you push the steering stick to the left, and then throttle forward, the right track will continue moving forward while the left track slows, stops, or rotates backward depending on how much steering is applied.

Hopefully that makes sense. It does work! I have a couple of tracked vehicles set up that way.
Jan 16, 2016, 01:44 PM
Dongskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashL
Yes, the above setup will work for what you're talking about. You would just substitute channel 1, in place of channel 4. This would give you throttle on the left stick and steering with a side-to-side movement on the right, like an old RC car stick radio.

So basically, mix # 1 setting is just slaving a 2nd channel to your throttle movement, allowing both esc's to move in unison, i.e. both forward, both backward at the same time.

Mix # 2 creates an inverse of the first mix when you push the steering channel left or right, and is proportional to how far push the steering stick. So, for example, if you push the steering stick to the left, and then throttle forward, the right track will continue moving forward while the left track slows, stops, or rotates backward depending on how much steering is applied.

Hopefully that makes sense. It does work! I have a couple of tracked vehicles set up that way.
Thanks man!!!
Feb 14, 2016, 05:16 PM
Hi, I'm trying to achieve exactly this type of steering (dual ECS, no steereng servo) for my tracked garden RC robot, and I want to use one CAR RC transmitter one with the steering wheel and throttle trigger.
Can you please advise me on which known brand of the Surface RC transmiter is for sure capable of such a mixers, I red cople manaual and they are not conclusive for me, Futaba 4PLS for example?
Feb 15, 2016, 06:42 AM
Suspended Account
radiopost
spectrum 3 ch radios
futaba
KO propo

all have mixing capabilities
Feb 15, 2016, 05:02 PM
I have read spektrum DX4R PRO manual and at no point i found info that it can have 2 concurent mixers. steering->ecs1 and steering to ecs2

Maciej
Feb 15, 2016, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure regarding the trigger/wheel style radios but I think you could achieve the same effect by using an inexpensive mixer board between the RX and the ESC's such as this one. http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-GWSMXR.html
Apr 25, 2017, 05:02 AM
Flyin' Finn in eternal spin...

Setting reverse?

Old post, where else to ask? I'm planning to build smt similar with differential steering and wonder, how to make reverse? I've done a lot of flying contraptions and couple of normal cars, but this is my first tracked one. Also, that kind of function would be very useful in a boat with twin propellers.

I will use two separate ESCs with reverse. Like pulling right stick back (FlySky i6 or X9, mode 2) would activate reversing, steering can be in which ever stick.
Apr 27, 2017, 06:59 AM
Kamikaze Ace
You should be able to use an ELEVON setting on your transmitter. Or the use of a stand alone elevon mixer if your transmitter is not capable.
Elevon controls both channel 1 &2 on Hitec/Futaba type or 2 &3 on Spektrum/JR type radios on the right stick.
You may have to fiddle around with which esc goes to which channel on the receiver, and possibly even reverse one or the other to get it all working correctly. And most importantly, your esc's will have to be reverse capable.

Or simply buy a Sabertooth dual esc, it's already set up to be able to operate a tracked vehicle. That's what I use on all the 1/6th scale stuff I own and build.
Apr 27, 2017, 12:38 PM
Flyin' Finn in eternal spin...
OK, thanks! I have brushed ESC's with reverse to use. Those Sabertooths are slightly expensive for a toy offroader, which I'll make for my son.
Jun 15, 2017, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashL
Here is the mix settings I use (on Flysky FST6), hopefully your Futaba is similar. You could substitute channels 1 and 2 for the right stick instead of left. I've not used that transmitter but if you can find the mix menu and turn any mixes off, then it should return to normal.

I ran the esc's into the 3rd and 4th channels(left stick). On my Flysky FS-T6 I went into the functions menu and scrolled down to MIX. I turned Mix #1 On
Master ch.3

Slave ch.4

Pos mix 100%

Neg mix 100%

Offset 0

I then turned Mix #2 On

Master ch.4

slave ch.3

Pos mix -100% (note this negative 100%)

Neg mix-100% (note this negative 100%)

Offset 0

When I push throttle forward, both motors rotate in same direction/backward=same direction but the other way.

When I move stick side to side they will counter rotate, rotation depending on which way the stick is pushed.

When I push throttle forward and stick to the left the right motor increases speed and left decreases and vice versa for other directions.
I am converting a zero turn lawn mower into rc i want the right joystick to control movement of mower and the left to control a gimbal for camera. ive built a frame around the control arms with large servos for each arm to move the arms forward and back. I set my rc transmitter up the way you have above and it works, but the only problem is the control arm can only go so far. Lets say 0% is in the middle that is neutral, then you can push arms 100% forward and -100% backwards, they cant go past 100%, the arms physically stop. When i push the throttle straight forward and both servos move forward to 100% and then when i turn left or right with the throttle at 100% the throttle keeps going forward past the 100% mark, just like you mentioned in the last sentience you wrote, but that wont work because the arms physically stop at 100%. is there anyway to keep the throttle moving from forward when you turn left or right?
Jun 16, 2017, 01:48 PM
Trying to set up a Turnigy 9X for a tank and having real, REAL difficulty. Tried mixing channels as described above but it isn't working. I can either get forward and back working, but not left and right, or I can get left and right working, but not forward and back. Seems like I need to mix two channels on more then two mixers. Ideas welcome!
Mar 04, 2018, 01:48 PM
Well I have opened a thread for my question and now I have found this thread! Sorry for that!

Can I use a pistol grip transmitter to control a tank with two brushed motors,two brushed car ESC's and a usual receiver?
If yes, which pistol grip transmitter would I need?

Quick Reply