Jan 10, 2016, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

AMA Expo "FAA and AMA Update" ?

Does anyone have any information on the update that was being discuses at 12PST at the AMA Expo. I at least want to know what has been said and has changed. Im expecting something to be announced. However I doubt that is going to happen. Those who are not there want to know. Well at least I want to..
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2016, 09:57 PM
I know they ( someone) was taping the session on Saturday.
Jan 10, 2016, 11:35 PM
Early video here:

Airplane! Phone Booth Clip (0 min 5 sec)
Jan 11, 2016, 12:05 AM
Lol
Jan 11, 2016, 12:48 AM
Okay, just found this, posted about an hour ago.

AMA Expo 2016 FAA Marke Gibson Presentation (1 hr 15 min 43 sec)
Jan 11, 2016, 02:18 AM
Okay fellows, skip to 58:30 for the real scoop from Rich, and then you can watch the whole thing like I did.

My take: As I suspected, "Registration" is being required by all simply because those that want to make a buck with a sUAV that don't have a pilots license aren't currently capable of acquiring a 333 exemption. The FAA fellow in the video alludes to the Part 107 coming up in the next 4-6 months and that is where they will get rid of the Pilots license requirement. As a Land Surveyor by profession, the use of a sUAV commercially is already in place. In fact, one of my local competitors I understand has recently dropped much more than 50k into a remote sensing type of sUAV. He doesn't have a pilots license, none of his staff are licensed pilots.
Bottom line: Regulations for commercial use are going to be much easier to meet.
Jan 11, 2016, 03:43 AM
Onward and Upward.
Last edited by CatManDu; Jan 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Jan 11, 2016, 03:52 AM
Moving forward to make the sky safe for commercial unmanned flight aircraft.
There is money to be made not for hobby flyer's air space any more.
We dont want to tell what the industry and manufacturing what to do we don't want to burden them.
Jan 11, 2016, 08:29 AM
So AMA folds like a cheap suit. What a surprise.

Looks like they've put a FAQ on their site:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ked-questions/

"AMA is exploring several legal options that would address the registration rule as well. These legal strategies will take time to develop and pursue."

Lie. The first thing AMA could have done, and should have been prepared to do, is file an injunction against enforcement of the rule. Why didn't they?

"The federal registration box requiring agreement to only fly under 400 feet applies to individuals who are not operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude restriction does not apply to AMA members."

Ah, so this is one of the concessions the AMA got in exchange for not challenging the regs; AMA members get special privileges.

"AMA has secured a concession from the FAA that allows AMA members to continue using their AMA numbers as the primary identification on his or her aircraft. "
Another concession for not challenging the regs.

"... allows AMA members to operate model aircraft over 55 lbs as long as they are operating in accordance with AMA’s Large Model Aircraft safety program"
I notice no mention about whether these need an N-number, as the registration rule seems to require.
Last edited by nybbler; Jan 11, 2016 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added FAQ
Jan 11, 2016, 08:38 AM
I want my 1:15 back!
Jan 11, 2016, 09:30 AM
The digital natives are restless, the AMA faq now has 10 net "thumbs downs".
Jan 11, 2016, 10:01 AM
Retired, and loving it!!
Actually, as of 10:00AM EDT today (11 Jan 2016) that count is 11 "thumbs up". There's no "minus" sign in front of the number.
Jan 11, 2016, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark flier
Actually, as of 10:00AM EDT today (11 Jan 2016) that count is 11 "thumbs up". There's no "minus" sign in front of the number.
-15 now. Guess it's a bit controversial
Jan 11, 2016, 10:17 AM
It's bouncing back and forth...
Jan 11, 2016, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
So AMA folds like a cheap suit. What a surprise.

Looks like they've put a FAQ on their site:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ked-questions/

"AMA is exploring several legal options that would address the registration rule as well. These legal strategies will take time to develop and pursue."

Lie. The first thing AMA could have done, and should have been prepared to do, is file an injunction against enforcement of the rule. Why didn't they?

"The federal registration box requiring agreement to only fly under 400 feet applies to individuals who are not operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude restriction does not apply to AMA members."

Ah, so this is one of the concessions the AMA got in exchange for not challenging the regs; AMA members get special privileges.

"AMA has secured a concession from the FAA that allows AMA members to continue using their AMA numbers as the primary identification on his or her aircraft. "
Another concession for not challenging the regs.

"... allows AMA members to operate model aircraft over 55 lbs as long as they are operating in accordance with AMA’s Large Model Aircraft safety program"
I notice no mention about whether these need an N-number, as the registration rule seems to require.
What I am curious about is does our AMA membership automatically mean we have "signed" tha contract with the AMA that the registrants of the FAA website have signed? If so that should be a huge concern for all AMA members

Quick Reply