Jan 10, 2016, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

O.M.G what went wrong with my QR X350 Pro

Hi Guys & Girls..
i am an absolute novice to this whole RC thing, but loved the idea of having a drone and filming the landscape where i live on a small island in the middle of the mediterranean.
I bought a Walkera QR X350 Pro + Devo 10 Transmitter, G-2D Gimble and of course my trusty Go-Pro Hero 3+
I also ordered 2 of the 6600mah batteries to give the best flying time & a 2200mah lipo for the devo 10.

Anyway long story short, i have been playing indoors for a few days just to get the feel of operating the quad, hovering over the bed (for a soft crash landing) and practising the minute movements required to keep it stationary.

Today however is the first time i have taken it outsde,
It was a beautiful day, just a very slight breeze, but not enough to be an issue.
i made sure i followed all the guides i have watched, All batteries fully charged, Calibrated, waited for GPS light etc, then i decided to try a safe take off in GPS hold mode, I throttled up to approx 50% the quad took off vertically, then without any input from me it suddenly shot off to the right at quite a speed, i seemed to have no control over it at all except for throttle which i tried to ease down gently, but then it just dropped HARD into a field 50 metres away !!
Result = 1x Broken leg, 2x Bent Propellors, Gimble rubber dampers broken
Main body popped open a little.

What the hell happened ?
I can replace the broken parts easily enough, but i'm going to be Scared Sh****ss to try flying it again
Should i be updating software or changing something ? should i not have taken off with GPS hold engaged ?
Looks like this is going to be a hard / expensive learning curve
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2016, 06:41 PM
I void warranties
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeo
should i not have taken off with GPS hold engaged ?
Of course not!!! You should ALWAYS ALWAYS take off in manual mode.

Did you at least calibrate the compass before flight?
Jan 10, 2016, 07:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer
Of course not!!! You should ALWAYS ALWAYS take off in manual mode.

Did you at least calibrate the compass before flight?
Hi Cereal Killer
Yes i was (i think) meticulous in calibrating compass etc before take off.
The guy in this video shows a take off in GPS mode ?
Auto Start (Easy to Control Mode) WALKERA QR X350 PRO GPS 6CH Brushless Quadcopter (2 min 41 sec)
Jan 10, 2016, 07:20 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
".......... Looks like this is going to be a hard / expensive learning curve"

Maybe some time practicing with a "toy" grade "trainer" where one can really learn orientation skills, and all the other prerequisites like eye-hand-motor coordination transmitter stick skills needed to really pilot one's RC aircraft under personal control. And will provide one with the opportunity to learn how repair, replace, or modify an aircraft while it is still robust and replacement and/or re-replacement parts are still affordable (not like bigger builds)

Some of those RTF "trainers" are really fun to fly during the NOOB stage of this hobby BTW.
Jan 11, 2016, 04:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrumberg
".......... Looks like this is going to be a hard / expensive learning curve"

Maybe some time practicing with a "toy" grade "trainer" where one can really learn orientation skills, and all the other prerequisites like eye-hand-motor coordination transmitter stick skills needed to really pilot one's RC aircraft under personal control. And will provide one with the opportunity to learn how repair, replace, or modify an aircraft while it is still robust and replacement and/or re-replacement parts are still affordable (not like bigger builds)

Some of those RTF "trainers" are really fun to fly during the NOOB stage of this hobby BTW.
It's hard to admit, but i think you could be right practice on a smaller CHEAPER quad would be a prudent move.

Although it still doesn't explain why it suddenly shot off to the right without me even touching the stick ? i expect me suddenly grabbing the stick to try and correct it was actually the cause of the crash though.
Jan 11, 2016, 07:27 AM
I void warranties
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeo
Although it still doesn't explain why it suddenly shot off to the right without me even touching the stick .
Again, did you calibrated the compass before takeoff? Also did you connect to it and enter your magnetic declination? That's the main reason for most GPS fly away. If it doesn't know which way is which it has no chance to hold position...
Jan 11, 2016, 03:11 PM
ck is right. I set mine up after going through entire cd on the 350 and the devo 10. then I watched a guy cal the compass on youtube which was different then my guide told me. so after doing cal several times to get it in the 30 second window I let the gps link and took off in manual mode and flew it 3 to 5 min like the manual said and tried altitude hold position 2 on the switch and then return home which was position 3 on the switch.. never did any of the info I had tell me to be in hold position. I can find the video if you like.
good luck
jim
Jan 11, 2016, 03:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZNAE9aHGWM

here is the link. the only thing that was different from mine is how he put it into the selftest for calibrating the compass. video was great
Jan 13, 2016, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblhater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZNAE9aHGWM

here is the link. the only thing that was different from mine is how he put it into the selftest for calibrating the compass. video was great
Awesome thanks for that.
It's very likely that i did something wrong as i am a complete beginner, Even though i thought i had followed instructions to the T..

Will take a few days to get the replacement parts, then i will give it another go but follow this video.. Will keep you posted.
Jan 15, 2016, 02:54 PM
Hi, pleased to see someone in the same boat as me.
I to am a complete novice to the world of quad copters.
I've been practising in a very large field. So as not to kill anyone or receive a bill for damage to properties.
Every things been going fine, one or two bumps & scraps along the way, but no one dead.

To day I set up as usual, all calibrated, gps, off we go.
Took it up to around 50 feet flicked on gps, all good, then rth.... And off to the right it went at full speed....panic set in instantly, because it should not have done that !!!
Quickly calm down, think!
Turned back to manual & flew it back.
On hovering for landing I noticed the gps wasn't flashing, I had lost signal completely.
It was a sunny day not a cloud in the sky.
So long story long. I thing you lost gps also. 😱
Jan 15, 2016, 03:29 PM
".... Turned back to manual & flew it back."

Unfortunately there are owner/operators of RC aircraft who are incapable of taking manual control of their aircraft.
Jan 15, 2016, 06:08 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Quote:

Unfortunately there are owner/operators of RC aircraft who are incapable of taking manual control of their aircraft.
Agreed, this should be the first switch to hit when something goes wrong.
I've never seen a gyro fail, although I have seen an ACC fail (too many flips too fast).
Jan 18, 2016, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

I wish it was as simple as that !
Mine shot off and crashed before i had a chance to respond to the controls and put it in manual.
OK my inexperience probably had a slight bearing on this, but i would imagine even a seasoned pro in the same circumstances would have suffered the same lack of control.

Good news is i have the new legs, Just waiting on some props and will have another go, This time I will leave gps mode alone
Jan 18, 2016, 03:57 PM
Stupeo-

"Experts" crash too ; they may crash "better" and/or for different reasons than those less advanced on the learning curve flight path.

I am no "expert" , but I do know how to crash. I crashed a lot in the beginning of my learning curve with a few RTF "trainers" which helped me fly my build better and crash less often in the beginning with my build.

It takes a lot of practice to become really proficient at actually piloting an RC aircraft; and then more practicing until "everything" becomes a natural response.

I do not like the way my build takes off in GPS mode (NAZA M-lite with GPS). I prefer the ATTI (self leveling) takeoff. I spend a lot of pre-launch time calibrating and allowing the FC to initialize.

Good luck,

JB

Quick Reply