This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 10, 2016, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Two new ones...

Here are two rocket gliders using lightweight tubing. The first is a retro shuttle sort of design, trying to replicate the booster portion of the old Centuri Space Shuttle which had a piggyback glider and booster that were both gliders. I always liked the booster design, and since I didn't have a piggyback glider added a third central fin in a similar shape to the piggyback glider just for extra lateral stability. I also did a top mounted wing so I didn't have to cut the tubing. Canopies are folded photo paper glued to the cones. I did it with both a short nose and long nose, decided the long nose looked better but makes it look more like an XB-70 than the original design....This is 11 oz rtf for 24mm rocket motors

The second is a Bomarc Missile. The bomarc has a pretty small wing for the weight so the glide is not long. My profile version glides much better but this tube based one is much better looking. 16 oz rtf with 24mm rocket motors. So far the ramjets are holding up well to landings.

Here are the latest flights, the Shuttle flying on an E-6 and the Bomarc flying on an Estes and aerotech E-12 motors
Rocket boosted RC Airforce Shuttle Concept glider (1 min 3 sec)

RC Bomarc Missile flying on E-12 rocket motor (0 min 30 sec)

RC Rocket boosted Glider futuristic Shuttle (1 min 8 sec)

RC Bomarc Missile Rocket boosted glider E-12 Aerotech flights (3 min 25 sec)
Last edited by burkefj; Jun 16, 2016 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2016, 10:05 AM
AMA 79169
Nice models, great to see them in action and thank you for swearing... um sharing.

-=Doug

Quick Reply