Jan 10, 2016, 01:51 AM
the one and only
Thread OP
Build Log

Top Flite Cessna 182

as its my 1st build log on RCG. i should introduce myself,
my name is matt im AD military in colorado, i was part of rc hangout but that place burned. i have been out of the hobby for a while, had a kid, joined the army, bought a house. you know, adult stuff. i have been building model airplanes since i can remember and love to keep this "old timer" way of flying around. i fell out of the hobby when i was 17 and had to put it on the back burner for 3 years. (im still young!!!!)

so, im starting back again and i couldnt think of a better way to break in my new house than to build a 81" balsa dust mess making toy, as my wife calls it. i have built the same plane with my old man a few years back and remember most of it, so we will see how this one goes. im not going to rush it but im shooting for summer time for a maiden

im still deciding what motor i want, i already have a magnum .91 2 stroke with the top flite muffler, or i can go with a satio 120 but i feel like its over kill. i love electric but not for a heavy boat like this plane is. probably going to go with a 4s glow motor.

servos im using HITEC, and a specktrum tx/rx

color scheme? not sure yet but post a pic!! i love seeing different planes.

id like to glass the plane but the last one my pops and i built was glassed and it came out around 15 lbs. i want this one a little lighter because the altitude up here in colorado.

i LOVE titebond II but i usually build with both thin CA and wood glue.

also i am a little pic heavy, so for now here is a teaser picture

sorry for the phone pictures, ill bust out my camera when the building happens
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2016, 09:09 AM
No bounce, No play.
Awesome plane. You will love flying it. You could train new flyers with this. A bit of flap and it lands like a feather.

For what it's worth, if you really do love electric, my previous one that was kit built and second-hand to me got the .60 ripped out and flew very nice on Scorpion S-4020-14. 5S 5000 gave plenty of power and easily 8-10 minute flights. This never pushed the motor any where near it's actual capability so it would be easy to electrify it and turn it into a rocket-ship that would fly way faster than scale and stay up for long flights.

My current 182 build is getting Evolution 15CC gas.
Jan 10, 2016, 11:28 AM
I'll be watching the build. I've always liked Cessna's. A 1.20 four stroke is within its recommended range, so use of throttle management wouldn't make it overkill.
If you really want to "glass" the model, do some reading on it. It really is easy and doesn't add excessweight if done right. Use .5 or .75 oz fiberglass and finishing resin to do the job. Good luck on the build and thank you for your service!
Jan 10, 2016, 01:12 PM
the one and only
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post

My current 182 build is getting Evolution 15CC gas.

How do you like that motor? I love gas also but haven't played with anything smaller than 30cc.

Kimchiyuk when we glassed the old one we used .5 oz glass I believe and z-poxy

I was Going through the kit yesterday getting ready to build, it was made in 92 which is cool to think about it has been held on to for this long. The die crunch parts come out of the spruces pretty easily with little sanding to get right. I'm not too sure if I like the wood for the fuselage it feels pretty heavy and the die cruncher must not of been sharp. But other than that it's a great kit and pieced together pretty well
Jan 10, 2016, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miramarrcf View Post

Kimchiyuk when we glassed the old one we used .5 oz glass I believe and z-poxy
Maybe it was built heavy to begin with? It would be practically impossible to add three lbs using .5 oz fiberglass. Even if you used all of the epoxy it doesn't weigh three lbs. I'm just going by the max weight of 12 lbs in the manual to the 15 lbs you said it came out to. What you could do is weigh it near the end of the build and see where you are, weight wise.
Jan 10, 2016, 01:42 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miramarrcf View Post
How do you like that motor? I love gas also but haven't played with anything smaller than 30cc.

No idea yet. Have not run it. Just getting the plane together this winter.

Am interested to see how it runs with pressurized tank and carb with metering chamber. Should be fairly smooth I bet.
Jan 10, 2016, 07:42 PM
the one and only
Thread OP
Evolution makes pretty good motors, haven't had any issues with them yet

For an update I'm forming everything up and getting it as straight as possible. Lots of sanding here. And for the life of me I can't find plastic syringes anywhere to put my wood glue in. Maybe tomorrow I'll go to Walgreens

The last plane probably was built heavy, glassed, painted, magnum .91 and a scale cockpit was 14.8 pounds built with all the wood in the box . But it did fly great and scale like
Jan 10, 2016, 08:49 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Welcome to doing a build log! And thank you for doing it, and also thank you for your service to our country! I'll be checking in to watch your progress.

Cheers!
Jan 10, 2016, 09:04 PM
the one and only
Thread OP
More progress, found my syringe hidden away. I'm waiting for all the glue to set up before I unpin it from the plans, then it's almost time to start sheeting the stab, hopefully that goes well because I can't even remember the last time I sheeted anything

And thank you LVsoaring for paying taxes, I couldn't afford all the stuff I have shot and blown up on my own hahaha
Just kidding though! Proud to serve
Jan 10, 2016, 11:00 PM
the one and only
Thread OP
More progress on the elevator. I started to cover the stab with balsa, the way I did it was by sanding the edges to sit flush then gluing the sheets together into one piece.

After that I rough cut them and put them on the sanding block.

To sheet I cover the frame with a bead of wood glue and place/ adjust the sheeting where I want it, then I put pins in it and tack the corners down with thin CA then usually I'll weigh it down with a bag full of lead shot from a gun store but I don't have that right now so I improvised, this way has always worked pretty good for me because the wood glue gives the stab that bit of flex that CA doesn't.

Here are some more pictures of my progress
Jan 11, 2016, 01:18 AM
the one and only
Thread OP
Progress for the night. I finished just the horizontal stab, got it sanded straight and sheeted. For my 2nd day at it I consider it good. More to come hopefully

In the meantime, here are some pictures of the figment of the sheeting and the final product. There are some low spots on the balsa that hopefully I can smoothen out with out spackle or putty. I don't really like using that stuff towards the rear of the plane.

Thanks. -Matt
Jan 12, 2016, 05:10 PM
Nice build I will be following this, I am new to the hobby and building so it will be cool to follow someone as they are building instead of looking at builds that happened awhile ago. Not sure how old you are but you seem to be around my age so it's nice to see someone young doing this besides me as well. Good luck on the build and thanks for your service
Jan 15, 2016, 02:01 AM
the one and only
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus89 View Post
you seem to be around my age so it's nice to see someone young doing this besides me as well. Good luck on the build and thanks for your service

I'll be 21 in May my friend, welcome to the hobby. It's a great learning experience and a good pastime. Kept me away from drugs and the wrong crowd in highschool.

and epoxyearl that 182 looks beautiful. I decided I'm going to use monocote on this one and make it a sport/ scale plane, kind of like the ARF version although I will be building the scale interior. No lights for this one, I'll make scale housings but no LEDs
Jan 15, 2016, 02:15 AM
the one and only
Thread OP
So today I burnt the midnight oil. I finnished the vertical stab and started on the fuse. I'm stuck now on the fuse until I buy 30min epoxy, I'm waiting till I have time to buy a long sanding bar before I build the elevator and rudder. I want the right taper on the LE of the control surfaces and can't do it without it. Or at least don't know any other ways

My sheeting "skills" are getting a little better now. Getting a tighter fit now.

On the vertical stab it does not look like I left the stick to mount to the fuse, it's there I just did not trim the sheeting yet so I can make it flush with the horizontal stab.

Quick Reply