Aug 11, 2019, 04:20 PM
And what is new with OpenTX 2.3?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2019, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Dumb question but I'm looking at try Taranis (yet again) with the new 2019 version of the X9D, but currently there is no companion for the version of 2.3 that Frsky ships the radio with.

Can the model file still be installed by putting it on the SD card and then using the restore model option from the card?
You can download the companion 2.3 nightlies.
https://www.open-tx.org/2019/05/17/2.3-nightlies
Aug 11, 2019, 05:16 PM
launch high, fly low
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Dumb question but I'm looking at try Taranis (yet again) with the new 2019 version of the X9D, but currently there is no companion for the version of 2.3 that Frsky ships the radio with.

Can the model file still be installed by putting it on the SD card and then using the restore model option from the card?
I don't think that 2.3 is officially released yet. If you want to save yourself for the troubles, then wait until it is official with Companion support etc.

Jesper
Aug 11, 2019, 05:18 PM
Yeah, after some more asking around I think it would be sensible to wait.
Aug 11, 2019, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickmann
I don't think that 2.3 is officially released yet. If you want to save yourself for the troubles, then wait until it is official with Companion support etc.

Jesper
Opentx 2.2 does not have profiles for the new radios. 2.3 is the only option. If you add a new radio profile in 2.2 it does not list the new radios. It looks like it is only supported on 2.3 even though it is not stable.

If a stable Companion is required I would hold off on buying a new radio. I have the X-lite Pro on the latest firmware and not experienced any issues but I only have a couple quads and a single plane.
Aug 14, 2019, 08:43 AM
in awe of glide...
I have heard that the two un-used ports on the board of the qx7 will be available for extra switches on the 2.3 release. However this is just hearsay as far as i know.

Hope that is with ACCST protocol.
Aug 14, 2019, 08:45 AM
in awe of glide...
hello all!

I have been studying my radio options for a long time now (too long, perhaps) and have narrowed my search to the QX7s. I plan on using Jesper's program for dlg and will be running the ACCST protocol. I will likely be using the Gx6r and ir the Gx8r and other d16 rx's.

Is investing in a Qx7s now a mistake considering it's age and the newly released ACCESS protocol??

I mean, I'm sure i'll be happy with it, and I feel no need to update the protocol but wonder if I would be investing in a system which days are numbered. I know that ACCST will be supported, but for how long? This is the only thing that gives me pause at this time.
Aug 14, 2019, 10:34 AM
extra switch support is in the opentx firmware, not the protocol, so access/accst shouldn't matter (and the switch support was planned before there was ACCESS).

SoarOTX/F3k is good on the QX7. I don't know if frsky will end up doing a hardware ACCESS upgrade for it, but even if they didn't that radio is a good value (especially if you do the X7 instead of X7s).

I was faced w/ similar choice when my x7 was destroyed -- I ended up replacing it with an xlite pro for dlg work --- which it's really well suited for.

If it were me, I'd go with either a base X7 or an xlite pro. the X7s is kind of a tweener
Last edited by cjpace; Aug 15, 2019 at 08:05 AM.
Aug 15, 2019, 07:42 AM
Plus 1 on the xlite .

I have a taranis x9d plus and a qx7 with upgraded gimbals-sitting on the shelf!

The one I use most for DLG ‘s is the x-lite. So small and easy to hold and I’m running Jespers Soar open tx DLG program on it .

Jack
Aug 16, 2019, 02:24 PM
in awe of glide...
Thanks for your replies.
Aug 16, 2019, 02:35 PM
The access protocol is used on the X-lite pro ( blue one ) .

the standard X- lite (red or black) still has on the standard protocol.

The access feature has no effect on Jespers program it will run fine.

Don’t let the look and weight fool you - the x- lite is powerful radio- and the pro version xlite adds a few more cool features ( like the momentary buttons and the frequency scanner )

I didn’t think I would like it as much as I do as I have big hands and fly with pinch grip on the right stick and thumb on the left stick- and it’s perfect for me.

Thanks , Jack
Last edited by Jackspt28; Aug 16, 2019 at 02:42 PM.
Aug 16, 2019, 02:42 PM
in awe of glide...
Good report! Thanks

I'll consider it for sure!
Aug 16, 2019, 05:41 PM
I know it’s not the place really to discuss it, but are you using the pro version as it comes out the box? Do the gimbals feel ok? I read they are shorter throw all round?

Just wondering if it feels weird compared to a traditional radio?
Aug 16, 2019, 08:03 PM
I have the regular black x-lite not the pro. I added a spring loaded switch ( aloft hobbies has them) - it replaces the three way switch on left side rear.

I just adjusted the length of the sticks out about 3 mm longer.

I also cut the tension springs shorter by 2 coils- on aileron/ elevator and rudder see the thread a couple guys recommended this mod- felt much better for me with stiffer sticks .

Overall took about two outings to get used to - but now I really like it.

I would just buy the pro version - you get the upgraded gimbals , batteries and charger along with the new protocol and you also get the momentary “ launch” buttons - so you don’t need to do anything to it - unless you want stiffer sticks ( spring mod).

I think Jesper said he has it running on the pro version already.

Jack
Aug 16, 2019, 09:05 PM
I have an xlite pro. The springs have a lighter feel as Jack mentioned. I usually adjust sticks stiffer on other radios but I'm leaving the xpro as is until the end of the season and see if I feel like I need to cut them.

At first I wasn't sure about the momentary button placement on the top plate, but they work great for launch buttons right out of the box.

They are definitely shorter in throw, and feel different compared to the X7+M7 gimbals I used for DLGs previously, and the X10s I currently use for other planes, but it's not hard to get used to, and still has a quality feel. I think it's pretty much perfect for DLGs because of the ready-to-go launch buttons, weight, tiny size, and how easy it is to grip --- and you have a choice of grip sizes depending on the batteries used. Compared to other frsky radios: I had a launch button on the grip of my X7 and that was a pretty good setup; the X10s is a nice radio but too heavy and does not have a deep enough grip when spinning around with it.

Jesper's program works great with the xlite pro -- I did have to comment out a line in one of the scripts, but that is due to an opentx 2.3 bug the will be fixed before it's final. The only effect as a result is that it always saves your practice scores (instead of being able to throw them away).

edit: moving to ACCESS on the g-rx6 recivers I use in my DLGs was easy-peasy

Quick Reply