RHO-Lens The improved lens for the Headplay HD - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

RHO-Lens The improved lens for the Headplay HD

If you have magnification issues with your HeadPlay unit I have found the solution!

Splash

RHO provides a high quality lens for your HeadPlay unit.

I love my HeadPlay HD unit. One issue I have had is the image was always slightly blurry. Not enough to be trouble but enough to bother me. I tried both lenses provided. Ultimately I used both lenses together. That sort of worked.

I was on the internet and stumbled on the RHO site and realized they had addressed my issue. These retail at $43.

RHO Lens for HeadPlay FPV Unit - RCGroups Review (10 min 21 sec)

RHO Lens Info

The Headplay HD has revolutionized the market of video goggles, however the supplied fresnel lenses have some serious disadvantages.

• Do you have problems with focus?
  • Feel dizzy or strained?
  • Want a crisper image?
  • Are you over 35 years?
  • Too large FOV?
  • Need reading glasses?
  • See light reflections?

From RHO:

If you answer any of these questions with yes, then you should consider replacing the cheap fresnel lens with the RHO-Lens.

It is incomprehensible why a 2-dollar plastic lens was installed in this otherwise high quality video goggle. After much development with various prototypes we can now offer the RHO-Lens.

Get a pleasant focal distance of up to 16.5 inch (42 cm). As a rule of thumb people up to 55 years can focus at this distance.

You can test your minimal focus distance with a newspaper and a ruler. If it is more than 16.5 inch then you can wear your reading glasses in addition to the RHO-Lens.

Features

• Super High-Tech lens with highest optical imaging quality.
  • Super-Anti-Reflection coating to minimize glare and reflections.
  • Scratch-resistant coating.
  • Lipophobic cleaning coating.
  • Easy installation within 3 minutes.
  • Can be removed without leaving residue.
  • Adjustable field of view (FOV). The distance to the eye can be varied over a wide range.
  • Also suitable for eyeglass wearers. The distance can be adapted to suit all goggle sizes, head shapes and foam thicknesses.
  • Weighs only 1.0 oz (28.3 g)

Images

Take a Look

Conclusion

These really solve a problem for me. They do indeed sharpen up the image. With that said some folks don't need these lenses. Jason Cole has younger eyes than me and while he can fly with them installed they are blurry for him.

With the stock lenses the HeadPlays were always slightly blurry. These lenses really tighten the image and make the HeadPlay unit that much better for me.

I did get a set of these and snapped them in half. I contacted the maker and he was quick to address the issue with a new glue technique. Be sure to install them correctly. If you do run into trouble you can glue the two pieces back together without an issue. There is also a 14 day money back guarantee for unhappy customers.

For me these really solved a problem and make my HeadPlays that much better. I'm a fan.

Links

Click here for the site.

Click here for installation info.

Jan 13, 2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks for posting this Jim. I currently use the HPHD's with the stock lens but I have to use readers (cheaters) in order to bring the picture into focus for me. If I remove the cheaters, I have to hold the goggles about 6 inches away from the opening in order to see it clearly. If I understand this correctly, these would eliminate the need for cheater glasses? If so, I would have to confirm my focal length as recommended.
Jan 13, 2016, 12:18 PM
Admin Deluxe
These worked for me in that capacity. If they don't work for you then there is the 14 return policy.
Jan 13, 2016, 12:23 PM
ab amicis auxilio parvulo
What I gleaned out of this is that if you can focus on the screen of the HeadPlay with no lens in it at about 7-8" from you eyes then the included fresnel lens should be sufficient. If you can focus on the screen with no lens between 8-16.5" then the RHO lens could work. If you are like me and focus at 18" without any lens, then its probably still going to be blurry with the RHO's.
Jan 13, 2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks Jim. I'll probably be ordering a set today. I'm mostly ok now but I like the idea of the enhanced clarity and slightly reduced FOV.
Jan 13, 2016, 06:41 PM
How long did it take to get them over to the US?

Im thinking about these. The image is fairly clear, but not 100% where I want it. These sound like a great solution. I also have trouble seeing the bottom left and right corners w/o pushing the goggles into my face. Had to move OSD items around on my Brain FPV so I could see the items I choose to be on the screen. Hmmm.... If its like a 2-3 week wait, I may say nay.
Jan 13, 2016, 07:36 PM
Sweetness!
Jan 13, 2016, 08:14 PM
Just ordered.

Thanks for finding these and posting!
Jan 13, 2016, 09:23 PM
Matt Kelch
Is there a noticeable improvement in image quality for someone who has no issues focusing using the stock fresnel lenses?
Jan 13, 2016, 10:24 PM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelchm
Is there a noticeable improvement in image quality for someone who has no issues focusing using the stock fresnel lenses?
If the stock lenses on the HPHD's are in focus for you, then there is no need for the RHO lens as it will make it blurry. These are really just for the guys who can't quite get the image in focus with the stock lenses.
Jan 13, 2016, 10:42 PM
That's not necessarily true either. It's just a matter of where your eyes can focus.
Some people can focus at 7-8 inches in front of their face, some can't (anyone
with presbyopia which is a lot of folks over 40).
If you can focus at 16 inches, then RHO lenses shouldn't make it blurry.
If you're nearsighted, then you might be able to focus really well at 7-8 inches,
and only then would the RHO lens make it blurry, but so would simply looking
at a screen further away.

BTW, I do own and use these lenses.
Jan 14, 2016, 12:05 AM
Premium Registered User
Ordered lets see how they pan out...
Jan 14, 2016, 11:24 AM
Admin Deluxe
To distill this down to my issue:
The stock lens was blurry.
The second lens included with the unit was blurry.
Using both lenses at once was almost perfect but kind of funky.
The RHO lens made everything look great to my eyes.
Jan 14, 2016, 12:41 PM
Premium Registered User
I always used the smaller lends as I found the bigger lens way to big.
Jan 14, 2016, 12:52 PM
What about supporting dominator v3, this would be so cool