Aquacraft Cajun Commander Airboat in the Snow - RC Groups

Aquacraft Cajun Commander Airboat in the Snow

We first saw the AquaCraft Cajun Commander at the Toledo show last April and it looked awesome...

Splash

Tearing it up on the snow

We first saw the AquaCraft Cajun Commander at the Toledo show last April and it looked awesome. It was huge! It had a cool name and looked like it would be a ton of fun to drive around. Then at Joe Nall a month later, we finally got our hands on one and drove it around the lake and even on the grass. It was fast, handled well and was just a plain ball of fun. We thought it would be equally amazing on the snow, but alas, no snow was found in South Carolina in May. Now that winter is here and the north has been seeing some snowfall, we knew it was only a matter of time before some lucky boat captain would post a video driving his Commander in the white powder. Youtuber rkelim84 did just that and it looks every bit as fun as we imagined. Check out the video below and if you haven't seen the Cajun Commander yet, you can check out the AquaCraft webpage here.

Jan 08, 2016, 08:02 PM
DumbThumbsFPV
LOL this thing is COOL! Man you get to have all of the fun
Jan 08, 2016, 10:02 PM
Grumpa Tom
That looks like a blast! The track it leaves in the snow is interesting, can see the strakes really making an impression! (pun)
Jan 09, 2016, 02:37 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Cool....
Similar to this.....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d#post33332950
Jan 09, 2016, 06:18 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Nice. That boat flies on the snow.

Thanks for the video.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Jan 09, 2016, 07:38 PM

Awesome

Hey thanks for sharing, it is sure a blast on snow..!!! up here in montana we have snow! feel free check out my youtube, i have summer time videos of this Air boat also....
Jan 11, 2016, 02:09 PM
Jack of all, master of none
Driving the CC in the water can be fun, but driving on snow looks WAY more fun! Hopefully we'll get some white stuff here in NC this winter so I can try it out.
Jan 14, 2016, 03:48 AM
wow, nice boat
Jan 22, 2016, 02:20 PM
Well, I ran it in the white stuff just now and beat the crap out of it pretty good. Unfortunately the white stuff we have here right now is mostly sleet and freezing rain mixed together, not powder like in the video above. Probably would have been less destruction had it been the soft stuff.

Needless to say, I'm going to have to make some repairs before hitting the lake again. Has me thinking about donating the electronics and motor structure to a fiberglass scratch build in the future.. we'll see. Definitely thinking about a custom paint job at a minimum since I'll be doing body work. I broke both front corners of the hull, had the seat stand break off, and ripped off one of the upper lights (barrel roll).
Jan 22, 2016, 03:05 PM
Submarine or Target?
Skipper G.,

Thanks for the "heads up"about sleet boating. I'm still in the sleet portion of the storm. I hope that when we wake up tomorrow morning it will be "snow-boating" time. Just topped off one of my LiPo's and put the other one on the charger.

Actually, it might be fun to turn the lights on and go out later tonight if there's enough snow.

Right now, however, it's time to play on the computer and watch the bird feeder outside.
Jan 22, 2016, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbphoto
Skipper G.,

Thanks for the "heads up"about sleet boating. I'm still in the sleet portion of the storm. I hope that when we wake up tomorrow morning it will be "snow-boating" time. Just topped off one of my LiPo's and put the other one on the charger.

Actually, it might be fun to turn the lights on and go out later tonight if there's enough snow.

Right now, however, it's time to play on the computer and watch the bird feeder outside.
Good luck! Hopefully you don't end with repair work as a result like me.

With the sleet stuff, the boat really doesn't want to turn at all because the strakes want to keep it straight. In the snow video it looks like it was still able to drift like it would in water or soft grass. I did have better luck in the grass areas that were sleet covered.

Also, on the street it just keeps going and going when you left off the throttle. Wish it had a reverse thrust. Not being able to turn or able to stop = big hits to solid objects!
Jan 23, 2016, 03:44 PM
Submarine or Target?
Well, it only took 6 minutes to break my CC. Minor bow damage from hitting a tree. But.... During a flip, the motor shaft and propeller broke.

Onboard video later after I edit out the parts that look like snow on the lens - mainly because there was snow on the lens.
Jan 23, 2016, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbphoto
Well, it only took 6 minutes to break my CC. Minor bow damage from hitting a tree. But.... During a flip, the motor shaft and propeller broke.

Onboard video later after I edit out the parts that look like snow on the lens - mainly because there was snow on the lens.
Doh! After what I experienced with mine in similar conditions I'm not surprised. I'm sure you still had fun though.
Jan 24, 2016, 12:18 PM
Submarine or Target?
Here you are. Onboard video of a very bad airboat driver.

Snowboatin (3 min 7 sec)
Jan 25, 2016, 01:06 PM
Nice! I'm not sure about you but I think I'll stick to water use after repairs are complete. I have mine completely stripped down to the bare hull. I'm going to repair and apply a new paint scheme.