This thread is privately moderated by rdstarwalt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 08, 2016, 08:12 AM
AMA 79169
Thread OP
Discussion

Friday's Did You Know (81)...

...we cannot be certain how many models that Jack Headley designed are lost to us now. This project, unlike attempts to recover Mayan language, can benefit from a short span of time. We have excellent knowledge of most of Jack's work, but some will escape us unless folk come forward with more information not known to us now.

My list of 'Jack's Lost Models':

#1 Blue Max
I asked Kevin Flynn about Blue Max. He thinks that it was an Orange Julius, decorated in blue Monokote (or another iron-on covering).

#2 Northrop Long Range Model
There is one photo on the cover of an issue of the Northrop newsletter, but according to Jack, the model ended up being recycled into the Cyclops, the aircraft in the RCM article about the 8 mm movie camera. Lisa Headley had a very good quality B&W photo of her dad holding the Cyclops and we see that attached. +5 to Lisa! But lost it still is because we have no plans or other documentation to reproduce it.

#3 Hurricane
In Blog #62 I mentioned the Ono-Bird plans from the Northrop newsletter. The wing and tail for the Ono were based on a (currently) lost model, the Hurricane. We have good chance of finding the Hurricane if a complete copy of the January 1968 issue of the Norair Modeller is located. This is missing from the collection at the NMAM in Muncie.

#4 Tennis Rocket
Another Norair newsletter model that we have reference to, but no complete documentation. The July 1967 issue at the NMAM is missing the plans. This Jetex powered model might be similar to a model Jack lost for a short time while working for English Electric in the UK. See the attached article (Gimp processed) of a scan from Lisa Headley's personal collection.

#5 plus Any of the many models preceding version 'x'
Examples are: Skyriders 1 2, Tadpoles, the cardboard material models from RCM, and many more that Kevin Flynn said were built that we have no documentation on. Lisa Headley plans to send me scans of what few model photos she has. We may find some more lost models that way.

In truth we will never know all the models Jack Headley designed and built because he admitted forgetting many of them himself! We are very lucky to have what exists now. Perhaps more may show up by a sharp eyed modeller that attends garage sales or other flea market activities on the west coast?

We can hope.

-=Doug
Last edited by rdstarwalt; Oct 14, 2016 at 06:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply