Jan 10, 2016, 01:02 PM
MaineFlyer
A beautiful looking plane! Mine is on order as of yesterday. I haven't decided on power yet but would like to use the RCGF 21cc twin. Will have to wait and check fit to get an idea.

RCGF says the twin is 8" wide.

Anyone else looked at this power solution?

Joe
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2016, 01:16 PM
Just Plane Nuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert
A beautiful looking plane! Mine is on order as of yesterday. I haven't decided on power yet but would like to use the RCGF 21cc twin. Will have to wait and check fit to get an idea.

RCGF says the twin is 8" wide.

Anyone else looked at this power solution?

Joe
Did you find any discount options ? I was told that there is a 10% off coupon, but only good until the end of this month -
Jan 10, 2016, 01:20 PM
MaineFlyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louierc
Did you find any discount options ? I was told that there is a 10% off coupon, but only good until the end of this month -
No. I didn't see any discounts. I had trouble ordering as I had a browser problem so ended up calling Horizon to make sure it was on order. Still want it regardless.

If it flies as well as my Valiant, I'll be very happy!!

Joe
Jan 10, 2016, 01:26 PM
My LHS knows what I like so they already have one on order for me. I am fortunate because HH stuff hits his shelf the moment it comes out. I am looking at installing the OS GT 22 but if that does not fit, I will install the OS GT15. Fortunate thing is I can make my decision when the plane arrives at the shop since he carries all of that anyway.

Sorry to put an OS in a Horizon airplane...
Jan 10, 2016, 03:23 PM
Same Day Delivery
The RCGF 20 cc gasoline job might be a nice alternative

A Saito Twin would be superb!! Don't know if a 100T would cut it thou
Jan 10, 2016, 03:31 PM
Beautifully bird indeed. I've been looking at real Carbon Cubs for a long time now. What a dream it would be to own one. As it pertains to the model, there is just one tiny thing that is throwing me off. I'm really not trying to be a nitpick either. Ali, the front facing windshield looks to dip far beneath the side windshield and door which kinda threw me off at first. When I got a close up of the model and I was wondering why something felt a tad bit off to me. Shouldn't that front facing windshield line up perfectly with left and right windows? Just a thought is all.

Drew
Jan 10, 2016, 04:49 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Machinchy
You are very welcome. Happy to be of help where I can and thankyou. Its quite a feeling from from one side of the trade to another and watching a product that has consumed so much time and effort be released to the market place. The evo 20 will fit but the cowling will need cutting to clear the plug cap. The 20 cc is only 6 mm taller than the 15 but its going to be tight to get it in without cutting. One of the production samples had the cowling cut to clear the plug cap and it did not not bad at all.
Regards Al
Thanks again Ali. This is looking like a must buy for me. Great looking job on it.

Marlin
Last edited by Fish99; Jan 10, 2016 at 11:16 PM.
Jan 10, 2016, 10:53 PM
Prefers radials
Love the ability to convert from gear to floats! DLE20RA seems likely fit.

Cheers
Jan 11, 2016, 09:46 AM
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louierc
Ali - can you provide any more interior photos showing the battery location and if it interferes with the front seat ??

I have the original 25% J-3 with the Power 110 and managed to get the batteries (8S5000) in front of the seat where the tank would go.

How is the door held up? Is there a magnet in the bottom of the wing?

Is there a removable floor like the J-3 so the RX battery will fit under it?

Is there a provision for mounting the RX switch in the floor ?

Will this model take a standard servo like the JR821 ?

Thanks, Louie

Some photos that I hope will help answer your questions Louie.
Jan 11, 2016, 10:35 AM
Do you have any photos of the petrol configuration? Specifically, since it is an option, will the firewall need modifications to make it sturdy enough going from electric to petrol? Presuming the fuel tank will go where the battery is, that would mean a fairly small fuel tank. Probably no room for a smoke tank option?

Is this more designed as an electric airplane that you could use petrol or a petrol aircraft that is easily converted to electric?
Jan 11, 2016, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Do you have any photos of the petrol configuration? Specifically, since it is an option, will the firewall need modifications to make it sturdy enough going from electric to petrol? Presuming the fuel tank will go where the battery is, that would mean a fairly small fuel tank. Probably no room for a smoke tank option?

Is this more designed as an electric airplane that you could use petrol or a petrol aircraft that is easily converted to electric?
This aircraft is actually designed to run either Gas of Electric. It comes with two install systems that bolt in. You can even switch from gas to electric of vise versa if wanted. The Gas model is currently in California at the AMA show. It wont be back at the office for a while to take photos. I hope the manual will be out shortly. This will show the gas install with photos. No mods required.
Regards Ali
Jan 11, 2016, 11:21 AM
Hi Ali,

I have the Carbon-Z Trojan and run a 7000mAh 6 S battery in it. Will this battery fit in the Carbon-Z Cub? Its 65x48x170mm. Is there any wiggle room with the standard battery?

Also to other folks ... not sure I understand the negative comments about it being yet another cub from HH. There are many varying types of Cab. This one has never been done by HH before has it? Or am I missing something
Last edited by DarBroRC; Jan 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Addition
Jan 11, 2016, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarBroRC
Hi Ali,

I have the Carbon-Z Trojan and run a 7000mAh 6 S battery in it. Will this battery fit in the Carbon-Z Cub? Its 65x48x170mm. Is there any wiggle room with the standard battery?

Also to other folks ... not sure I understand the negative comments about it being yet another cub from HH. There are many varying types of Cab. This one has never been done by HH before has it? Or am I missing something
It will fit but its going to require a front seat either set back a little or removable ( Velcro ) to ease battery installation. Also it will be a little nose heavy I think. But nothing too major.
Regards Ali
Jan 11, 2016, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Mach
This aircraft is actually designed to run either Gas of Electric. It comes with two install systems that bolt in. You can even switch from gas to electric of vise versa if wanted. The Gas model is currently in California at the AMA show. It wont be back at the office for a while to take photos. I hope the manual will be out shortly. This will show the gas install with photos. No mods required.
Regards Ali
Sweet, thank you very much for the reply. Looking forward to when it comes out.
Jan 11, 2016, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Mach
it will be a little nose heavy I think. But nothing too major.
Regards Ali
Was expecting a little nose heavy just wasn't sure if the battery dimensions would fit. I make 3D printed battery carriers for all my models so could knock something up to have the battery secured a little into the cabin if necessary.

Thanks for the quick response.

To correct my own error earlier ... not a Carbon-Z Cub, just Carbon Cub

Quick Reply