Jan 11, 2016, 12:23 PM
MaineFlyer
Ali,
can you give us dimensions of the cowling? I would like to use the RCGF 21cc twin engine if it will fit. It is supposed to be 8" wide plug cap to plug cap.

When do you expect to release the manual?

Thanks,
Joe
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2016, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearman17
yet another cub from hh! I know. I know what you guys are thinking... Yet another comment about yet another cub from hh. What happened to awesome scale planes like the dvii or tigermoth! I would love to hear people say yet another dvii from hh, although this one is 30cc or 20cc...

Having said that, this one is pretty with a lot of details for an arf assembler like me. So, i may have to buy it. But please, how about 20cc ww1 biplanes!
+1000
Jan 11, 2016, 02:30 PM
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarBroRC
Was expecting a little nose heavy just wasn't sure if the battery dimensions would fit. I make 3D printed battery carriers for all my models so could knock something up to have the battery secured a little into the cabin if necessary.

Thanks for the quick response.

To correct my own error earlier ... not a Carbon-Z Cub, just Carbon Cub

I had a few moments before lunch so I made up a dummy battery to your dimensions. It did indeed fit. However. If a tray is used I think it would be really tight as the height is about as tall as it can be right now. Plus the seat would for sure have to come out to get that long a pack into a carrier. With just velcro it could go in at an angle then straighten up once inside.
Jan 11, 2016, 02:36 PM
Just Plane Nuts
Quote:
Hi Ali,
Also to other folks ... not sure I understand the negative comments about it being yet another cub from HH. There are many varying types of Cab. This one has never been done by HH before has it? Or am I missing something
You CANNOT have TOO MANY Cubs !!!!!! Period.

Glad to see a new one, I think I have them ALL, back to the white one in 2006, getting ready to preorder the new one. I like the color scheme !
Jan 11, 2016, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert
Ali,
can you give us dimensions of the cowling? I would like to use the RCGF 21cc twin engine if it will fit. It is supposed to be 8" wide plug cap to plug cap.

When do you expect to release the manual?

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

With two straight edges taped to the outside of each cowl cheek it measures at pretty much spot on 8" so I think the 21cc twin is going to be a tight fit. It may need cutting for the plug caps to clear. Manual is anytime now. Regards Ali
Jan 11, 2016, 03:26 PM
MaineFlyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Mach
Hi Joe,

With two straight edges taped to the outside of each cowl cheek it measures at pretty much spot on 8" so I think the 21cc twin is going to be a tight fit. It may need cutting for the plug caps to clear. Manual is anytime now. Regards Ali
Thanks Ali,
Sounds like a no go for me. I'll probably stick with the 15cc. Hate to do too much cutting to such a nice looking cowl. Really looking forward to the "It's Shipped" notice from Horizon!

Thanks again,
Joe
Jan 11, 2016, 03:27 PM
Quote:
I had a few moments before lunch so I made up a dummy battery to your dimensions. It did indeed fit. However. If a tray is used I think it would be really tight as the height is about as tall as it can be right now. Plus the seat would for sure have to come out to get that long a pack into a carrier. With just velcro it could go in at an angle then straighten up once inside.
Thanks for taking the time to do this Ali. Very much appreciated. i will keep you posted on what my final solution is to keep the battery in place once the model arrives. I know it will be a shame to lose some of the scale detail by removing a seat but I think the trade off for longer flight time is worth it ... at least for me it is as I prefer flight time over detail anyday.
Jan 11, 2016, 03:32 PM
No problem Joe.
Jan 11, 2016, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to do this Ali. Very much appreciated. i will keep you posted on what my final solution is to keep the battery in place once the model arrives. I know it will be a shame to lose some of the scale detail by removing a seat but I think the trade off for longer flight time is worth it ... at least for me it is as I prefer flight time over detail anyday.
The seat would be perfect on velcro or maybe a "keyhole technique "
Where you have two screws in the fuselage floor ( 3mm or 4/40 cap heads for example ) Make two Keyhole shape slots in the seat floor and it can slide and lock in and out of place.. Having written it. I do have to say that Velcro sounds the better option
Jan 11, 2016, 04:07 PM
Magnets work too. Glue one to the bottom of the seat and glue a washer under it on the cabin floor
Jan 11, 2016, 04:11 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Quote:
Originally Posted by smking0656
Magnets work too. Glue one to the bottom of the seat and glue a washer under it on the cabin floor
20cc Taylorcraft came out of the box with a magnetted in seat.

I'm still twisted on this plane. I love the looks. I also love my Carbon-Z cub, but I would rather have a built up plane.

The problem is, I'm heavily invested in 6s3300, and do not own any 6s5000s. I know there are solutions.. Just trying to figure out if I'm comfortable with any of them.

I can run two batteries and do 6s6600.

I can do a single 6s3300, prop it for good power, and have a short flight time.

Or I can do a single 6s3300 and prop it for good flight time, but then I won't have good power.

At least I have a few months to think on it.

-J
Jan 11, 2016, 05:50 PM
I am not sure if this is any use? But.. Measurements of the battery / fuel tank bay are..

5" Wide ( From one sidewall of fuselage to the other )
2.5" Tall ( From cockpit floor to bottom edge of dashboard )
7 3/4 " Long ( From rear face of firewall to where I have the front seat glued in.... this is variable be end user )

I just thought this might help those looking at different battery options? Please consider this is the total area of the bay. No mounting/ Velcro or securing straps of any sort.

Regards Ali
Jan 11, 2016, 07:11 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
I just have to say thanks, once again, to you Ali, for your engagement on the forum in relation to your great new plane. THIS is the kind of very constructive support that I just had never seen until a few years back with HH on RCGroups that made me buy almost EXCLUSIVELY HH products.

I am certain I will be picking this one up, and this sort of great info now is helping me decide which way to go to power it. (Kinda favouring Joe's idea, might just buy a new EVO 15 cc and save my 20cc for a different project, I just would hate to mess up that beautiful looking cowl, but I am also starting to really like GAS motors ... )

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond and even post pics and measurements, advice, etc., just great stuff. You should also be very proud of this product, it looks like a beauty.

Looking forward to many new products with your stamp on them.

Marlin
Jan 11, 2016, 09:02 PM
No need to thank me Fish…. I am happy to be on here and listening to what you guys have to say. After all. Its you guys that buy the stuff that pays my wages and I am very grateful for that.
Good luck with you 15cc CCub. I have had lots of fun developing it. I have been modelling pretty much all my life and Cub's have, and always will have something about them that I never get bored of. Who knows. Maybe one day I might get to develop a bigger version??

Go for the 20 twin. I would love to see how it works out. Worst case scenario. A new cowling is only an order away

Happy to help when I can and yes. Very proud!

Regards Ali
Jan 11, 2016, 09:20 PM
Quote:
I am not sure if this is any use? But.. Measurements of the battery / fuel tank bay are..

5" Wide ( From one sidewall of fuselage to the other )
2.5" Tall ( From cockpit floor to bottom edge of dashboard )
7 3/4 " Long ( From rear face of firewall to where I have the front seat glued in.... this is variable be end user )

I just thought this might help those looking at different battery options? Please consider this is the total area of the bay. No mounting/ Velcro or securing straps of any sort.

Regards Ali
For fuel tank, sounds like about room for a 12 ounce tank. With a 15 petrol engine, should get excellent run time

Quick Reply