Sep 12, 2019, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings
You surely do not want to mount lower than the thrust line.
From some engine mounting images on this thread, i think some people are compromising....

I went horizontal mounted for accuracy. Worked out well.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 10:58 AM
Flyin Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh48
From some engine mounting images on this thread, i think some people are compromising....

I went horizontal mounted for accuracy. Worked out well.
What size Saito did you go with & do you have a picture with the muffler on it ?
Sep 15, 2019, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSteeve
What size Saito did you go with & do you have a picture with the muffler on it ?
Installed an FG21. needed 70 grams of tail weight
Sep 15, 2019, 11:30 PM
I had a horizontally mounted Saito 1.00 in mine (can't find any pics) and it's performance was what I would describe as very "scale". I've got a VVRC 20cc gas motor in it now to allow for the eventual addition of floats. I don't think the 1.00 would have pulled it well at all in that configuration.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sep 16, 2019, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok_hunter
I had a horizontally mounted Saito 1.00 in mine (can't find any pics) and it's performance was what I would describe as very "scale". I've got a VVRC 20cc gas motor in it now to allow for the eventual addition of floats. I don't think the 1.00 would have pulled it well at all in that configuration.

I can imagine that would be the case. I personally wouldnt like any less power then the FG21.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok_hunter

Saito 125 and it flies very well
Sep 16, 2019, 01:13 PM
Flyin Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Saito 125 and it flies very well
Do you have it under cowl?
Sep 16, 2019, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Now, cowl is cut up pretty well to fit the engine
Sep 17, 2019, 07:57 PM
Quote:
The 125 is the exact same size as the fg21 i just posted.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:22 AM
Flyin Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh48
The 125 is the exact same size as the fg21 i just posted.
I bought a 100 for mine. Another guy in our club has a O.S. 95 in his. I thought I would try the Saito 100 in mine with a 14 X 8 prop. You guys are making me think I may have it underpowered but the 95 seemed to be doing alright for my buddy.
Sep 18, 2019, 06:48 AM
Quote:
I bought a 100 for mine. Another guy in our club has a O.S. 95 in his. I thought I would try the Saito 100 in mine with a 14 X 8 prop. You guys are making me think I may have it underpowered but the 95 seemed to be doing alright for my buddy.
If you can still see some "remains" of the cowl, you'll prob "underpowered" ! LOL
Sep 18, 2019, 07:53 AM
Quote:
I've mentioned it before but I started with a Saito 1.00 in mine. It flew fine, very scale. You won't be able to horse it off the ground, you won't get a vertical climbout, and you won't have strong vertical lines. But it flies on the wing, not the prop! Takeoffs look great (took about 50' on my grass strip), gets to pattern altitude on the downwind, will loop and roll after a shallow dive to build speed. It's a perfect "cruiser" airplane with that motor.

Sep 18, 2019, 10:02 AM
Flyin Time
If it doesn't pull like I want it to the next step for me will be to put it on 30% nitro. Then I will go to the 125 if the 30% isn't enough.

Was your 50' takeoffs using flaps?
Sep 18, 2019, 10:04 AM
Quote:
I started with the OS 95. One flight and it was out, too little power for me and no margin. I put the 125 Saito in, running a 16 x 6 prop and, for me, it was a perfect match
Sep 18, 2019, 10:12 AM
Quote:
If it doesn't pull like I want it to the next step for me will be to put it on 30% nitro. Then I will go to the 125 if the 30% isn't enough.

Was your 50' takeoffs using flaps?
No, my takeoffs are usually 0 Flap.

If you do end up moving to a larger motor, Rocket_33 is a fan of the 1.25 and I've since moved to a VVRC 20cc gas, which is also outstanding.

Quick Reply