Jun 22, 2019, 12:35 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by abecarboncub
Hi..

Thank you for every post here. I read every single one of them before starting my project. I did read the post about how the metal bar can be difficult to fit in the wing and so I oiled it and still had a very difficult time fitting in. Finally on one of the attempts as I was twisting the bar in I heard a crunch. When I looked inside I could not believe that within a few inches of the wing opening the bar/tube inside had cracked all the way around.
I do not know how else I could have avoid it...nor do know what I could have done differently. The other wing is okay.
I called Horizon....not very helpful except they told me to send the wing in to evaluate and repair it. I offered to take pictures of it and they just told me go to the web site.
Other than that ....I love the model. Just be warned about the wing. Stuck with a 1/2 winged airplane.....should I try flying it...LOL.
I submitted a form to see how they will deal with this.
Thanks for allowing me to vent....and thanks to all who posted here. You really helped me build my plane.
Abe
One possible solution would be to sand the wing joiner tube, then when you insert it into the wing that has the cracked receiver tube: Glue it in place with a small amount of Gorilla glue. It will expand and fill the crack that has formed. You will then be leaving the joiner in that wing all the time, but that's not a big deal and could get you in the air.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2019, 09:22 PM
Anyone happen to have a spare set of doors? Mine disappeared when someone broke into the back of my truck a few weeks ago.

Checked Horizon but looks like you have to buy the entire fuselage to get them.
Thanks, Matt
Jun 24, 2019, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
One possible solution would be to sand the wing joiner tube, then when you insert it into the wing that has the cracked receiver tube: Glue it in place with a small amount of Gorilla glue. It will expand and fill the crack that has formed. You will then be leaving the joiner in that wing all the time, but that's not a big deal and could get you in the air.
I thought about that ...and I think I am going to do it. My SUV is not big enough to transport the plane with both wings...I can also just keep the "bad" wing in place all the time and take one off to transport.
Thanks..
Abe
Jun 25, 2019, 01:12 PM
In an emergency, one could build a set of doors. Because such a set would be unlikely to be a perfect match to the original, it would give your plane that ruggedly authentic bush plane look.
Jun 26, 2019, 01:55 AM
Hi guys, just about to get a Saito FG-21 for my cub. I see one or two people have already used them. What was the install like? TIA
Jun 26, 2019, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603
In an emergency, one could build a set of doors. Because such a set would be unlikely to be a perfect match to the original, it would give your plane that ruggedly authentic bush plane look.
LOL. Like a red tailgate on a blue pickup truck.
Jun 26, 2019, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603
Or, one could just not use the doors. I believe you can take the doors out on the real one and fly 'doorless' (like on a Jeep )
Jul 04, 2019, 09:36 PM
Hello Again...

Does anyone have a recommendation for AS3X settings....gain/priority for yaw, pitch, roll.
Thanks in advance,

Abe
Jul 07, 2019, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Hello Again...

Does anyone have a recommendation for AS3X settings....gain/priority for yaw, pitch, roll.
Thanks in advance,

Abe
On a Cub? Not really. You won’t need any stabilization assistance on this bird. Just give it a go! You won’t be disappointed.
Jul 10, 2019, 10:55 AM
Thank you..
Abe
Jul 10, 2019, 02:04 PM
Self Proclaimed AV Geek!
Hi there, new to this thread (and group) but I will be purchasing the cub in the next month or so. Anyway, you mentioned that you were getting 10 minute flight times and I was just curious of your motor/battery set up?
Jul 10, 2019, 06:18 PM
Toothpick Maker
Quote:
Hi..

Thank you for every post here. I read every single one of them before starting my project. I did read the post about how the metal bar can be difficult to fit in the wing and so I oiled it and still had a very difficult time fitting in. Finally on one of the attempts as I was twisting the bar in I heard a crunch. When I looked inside I could not believe that within a few inches of the wing opening the bar/tube inside had cracked all the way around.
I do not know how else I could have avoid it...nor do know what I could have done differently. The other wing is okay.
I called Horizon....not very helpful except they told me to send the wing in to evaluate and repair it. I offered to take pictures of it and they just told me go to the web site.
Other than that ....I love the model. Just be warned about the wing. Stuck with a 1/2 winged airplane.....should I try flying it...LOL.
I submitted a form to see how they will deal with this.
Thanks for allowing me to vent....and thanks to all who posted here. You really helped me build my plane.
Abe
Mine was really tight too. Turned out the metal tube was a perfect fit in the wing tube, it was just that the balsa root rib was misaligned just a little. Use some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel and sand away some of the balsa wing root rib and the tube should fit fine. same on the fuse rib.
Jul 11, 2019, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_joe1979
Hi there, new to this thread (and group) but I will be purchasing the cub in the next month or so. Anyway, you mentioned that you were getting 10 minute flight times and I was just curious of your motor/battery set up?

Hi, I have the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-430KV motor, Turnigy Plush 100 A esc, 6S 5000mA accu (actualy 2x3S 5000 in series in case I need 3S 5000 in smaler planes) and
 Turnigy Ultra-Light Wood Propellers the ony ones with the hub slim enough to be able to screw the nut on the engine shaft. And they are thin and lightweight props. I use 16x8, 16x10. But maybe 17 inch would work better if a more acro style is intended.
Last edited by Sacalu; Jul 11, 2019 at 01:08 AM.
Jul 11, 2019, 09:22 AM
Self Proclaimed AV Geek!
@Sacalu Thanks for the info.
Jul 16, 2019, 01:18 AM
Thanks Gary. Made my day.

Quick Reply