Jan 19, 2016, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeBeyond
The newer X6 boards are a bit spotty, good ones and bad ones. Would personally lean toward the V666 board for that reason. You'll need 1.25mm plugs for the V666 FC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-SETS-Micr...-/251553090336

Looking at the V66 FC boards from GB and BG: they're different. Not sure why.

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopte...pp_144132.html
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V666-...-p-958988.html

Peeking into my V666, the board looks like the BG one (same plugs and red color).
More really great info. I will definitely be keeping this idea in my hip pocket. Since it sounds like a mod that has a high potential for success, I added a reference to it in the top portion of the OP. Thank you
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2016, 03:02 PM
I'm a bit envious? Would like to be able to spend the money to get really adventurous and build something special like you but funds are limited for 'toys' so the wife says. I blame her for buying me the little Revell for Xmas.

I assure you if you've flown under control for more than ten feet you are way more proficient at flying than I am. Just hope I can master it before I destroy my drones completely as I would like to take some video footage of my local area.

Now I have the S I tried the voltages on the camera socket and found I get 3v from centre to the 'R' end and 4v from centre to the other. Still different from yours but looking similar to my X so reckon I could use it with either.
Think I'll ask on the electronics thread to try to get a definitive answer about camera voltage.

Now if I could just get a windless day without solid frozen ground...........................
Jan 19, 2016, 03:08 PM
Do you guys think you can separate the two batteries of the super x so I can use them on my other quads that need only one 3.7v?
Jan 19, 2016, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
quote:
I'm a bit envious? Would like to be able to spend the money to get really adventurous and build something special like you . . .
Please dont' be. I've been working on getting to this point for years. To be honest, I probably shouldn't be spending so much on hobby. We've rationalized it by saying it can be used to find one of your animals when they go missing. We live in a heavily wooded/farming area where I can't see any of my neighbors. I'm only on 14 acres, but none of the adjacent properties are developed. There are times when we hear noises that are not in an area we can easily reach by vehicle or foot. We would like the option to check such noises (or smoke smells) out from overhead.

We also would like to experience FPV. You may note I am saying "we". I took my time (years) getting my wife on-board with this venture.
Jan 19, 2016, 07:50 PM
Hi rdlegy- Yes the pack is made of two seperate batteries which are taped together. Each battery is something like 50mmx27mm and about 6mm thick
Jan 19, 2016, 11:14 PM
Rum River watershed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrev
My TX antenna mod was very easy as the wifi dipole I had fitted perfectly into the hole left once the old stub was cut off and has a 'clamp' ring thing which holds it in the hole nicely- no glue needed.
Did you use an SMA connector! What antenna did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImA4Wheelr
Taranis Plus,
Now I'm jealous again. The small quads are definitely the way to go to practice your skills. Less dangerous and not a huge loss when you go "Oops".
Same story with planes, probably even more so.
Jan 19, 2016, 11:22 PM
Rum River watershed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImA4Wheelr
More really great info. I will definitely be keeping this idea in my hip pocket. Since it sounds like a mod that has a high potential for success, I added a reference to it in the top portion of the OP. Thank you
You're welcome. Glad you liked the idea. Whether I actually do it depends on how I like the TX. It's now 4 weeks since GB shipped my first Big Mouldy. Starting to wonder about it.

Quote:
I assure you if you've flown under control for more than ten feet you are way more proficient at flying than I am. Just hope I can master it before I destroy my drones completely as I would like to take some video footage of my local area.
Practice, grasshopper. Practice. And that's why we like to start with cheap quads.
And learn how to fix them.
Jan 20, 2016, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeBeyond
You're welcome. Glad you liked the idea. Whether I actually do it depends on how I like the TX. It's now 4 weeks since GB shipped my first Big Mouldy. Starting to wonder about:
I've been waiting 2 months for some shipments including 33040a, I guess when shipping is free I can't complain.
Jan 20, 2016, 05:29 AM
Been really lucky with Gearbest. Have ordered 5 items since Xmas and now only one I'm still waiting for. The Super X ordered 27th Dec arrived 15th Jan. The Super S ordered 3rd Jan arrived 19th Jan. Quite surprised as I read somewhere that Chinese New Year brings everything to a halt and likely would delay orders.

CanoeBeyond my Antenna came from an old PC router which I'd kept 'just in case'. The lead was long enough to reach the solder points on the TX luckily and I just unsoldered the original little bit of wire and soldered the new coax to this point plus the earth pad next to it.

I have two more MK TX's. Both have stiff sticks like the first and will need freeing off. I also have another router antenna and I'm going to use just the base 'swivel' part and make a higher gain antenna to suit. This one's a bit longer and with a centre loading coil but supposed to be higher gain than the straight wifi router dipole- we'll see.
Jan 20, 2016, 01:55 PM
Did anyone test syma x8 or tarantula x6 props if they fit the mould king X?
Jan 20, 2016, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
^
Hi rdlegy. Good question.

I don't have either of those quads. Looking a product pictures and reviews, both don't appear to be direct fits stock.

The Syma X8 looks like a standard type prop (like those used on brushless motors) with no shaft collar extending down below it. The prop could probably be fit using a 2.3mm bullet prop adapter and some type of shaft collar going over the shaft below the adapter in order to hold the prop shaft at the right height for the gears to align. I have some 945's and some 2.3mm prop adapters on the way to try this approach.

The X6 prop looks promising. It appears to have a 3mm shaft hole. So some type of adapter would be needed to bridge it to the Super X's 2.3mm shaft. Maybe wire shrink wrap?
Jan 21, 2016, 12:56 AM
RC Otaku
According to my cheap digital caliper from Banggood, the Super X's shaft is 2.5 and the X6's is 2.8mm. The X6's props have a stopper at the top of the hole that would need to be bored to 2.5mm so that the prop could fit down far enough to reach the screw hole. Use something like shrink wrap (as ImA4Wheelr says) to go from 2.5 to 2.8 and it might be possible to use the X6's props.

Keep in mind that the Super X's props are much more flexible than the X6's, so it's much more likely to strip gears with the X6's props when hitting something with a spinning prop.
Jan 21, 2016, 01:21 AM
RC Otaku

2S lipo on Super X - Super Simple Solution

If you want to use 2S lipos with the Super X, there is a super simple solution that will allow you to use both two 1S or one 2S any time you like.

Just take a JST plug with bare wires (I would say at least 20 AWG thickness, lower number is thicker, so 18 is OK, 22 is not), and twist the plus and minus wires together (add some heat shrink or electrical tape). Plug the shorted JST plug in to one of the inputs on the Super X and the 2S lipo's plug in to the other (see pic).

Now I can use the X6 Tarantula's 2S 1200 lipos with the Super X (they fit perfectly) and still use any two 1S lipos whenever I want to. The X6 battery is only 15g more than the stock Super X's, compared to the Super X's prop guards at a whopping 35g.

Tried and tested. Works perfectly!
Jan 21, 2016, 01:40 AM
Rum River watershed
Quote:
Been really lucky with Gearbest. Have ordered 5 items since Xmas and now only one I'm still waiting for. The Super X ordered 27th Dec arrived 15th Jan. The Super S ordered 3rd Jan arrived 19th Jan. Quite surprised as I read somewhere that Chinese New Year brings everything to a halt and likely would delay orders.
I've had very mixed results. Strange that my 1st one was ordered on 12/22 and still isn't here. A number of people I've seen ordered after I did and have had them for a while already. Sent via Netherlands Post post, never seem to have luck with that one. Did you use free shipping?

Quote:
CanoeBeyond my Antenna came from an old PC router which I'd kept 'just in case'. The lead was long enough to reach the solder points on the TX luckily and I just unsoldered the original little bit of wire and soldered the new coax to this point plus the earth pad next to it.
Thanks for the update. Can usually get old routers at the Goodwill for a couple bucks.
Jan 21, 2016, 01:42 AM
Rum River watershed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robachan
If you want to use 2S lipos with the Super X, there is a super simple solution that will allow you to use both two 1S or one 2S any time you like.

Just take a JST plug with bare wires (I would say at least 20 AWG thickness, lower number is thicker, so 18 is OK, 22 is not), and twist the plus and minus wires together (add some heat shrink or electrical tape). Plug the shorted JST plug in to one of the inputs on the Super X and the 2S lipo's plug in to the other (see pic).

Now I can use the X6 Tarantula's 2S 1200 lipos with the Super X (they fit perfectly) and still use any two 1S lipos whenever I want to. The X6 battery is only 15g more than the stock Super X's, compared to the Super X's prop guards at a whopping 35g.

Tried and tested. Works perfectly!
Nice tip and totally makes sense. Thanks!

Quick Reply