Jan 07, 2016, 10:30 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Review of Banggood’s SKYRC B6AC+ V2 Professional Balance Charger/Discharger

Review of Banggood’s SKYRC B6AC+ V2 Professional Balance
Charger/Discharger

Basics: This is the updated version of SKYRC’s IMAX B6AC+ V1 charger.

This AC/DC charger supports 6 battery types, with up to 5 charge operations, and comes with T-plug adaptor cables for charging batteries with XT60, JST or Futaba plugs.

Name: 20151223_123713-35.jpg
Views: 98
Size: 571.7 KB
Description:

This charger has a built-in transformer (110V/220V) and can be run off of household power, or a 12V source such as a car battery. Included are alligator clamps and cable for a 12V source.

The meter also displays pack/cell resistance and voltages.

Optional are (free) Windows software for configuring and controlling the charger over USB (cable not included), or IOS/Android applications which can be used to connect via an optional (extra fee) Wifi interface. Also available (extra fee) is a battery temperature sensor.

Specifications:
• Net Weight:632g
• Size:135x144x36mm
• AC Input Voltage:100 - 240V
• DC Input Voltage:11 - 18V
• Circuit Power Max Charge:50W
• Circuit Power Max Discharge:5W
• Charge Current Range:0.1 - 6.0A
• Discharge Current Range:0.1 - 2.0A
• LiPo/LiFe/Lilon Cells:1 -6S
• NiMH/NiCd Cells:1 - 15S
• Pb(Lead Acid) battery Voltage:2 - 20V

Name: 20151223_124106-35.jpg
Views: 152
Size: 620.8 KB
Description:
Name: 20151223_124135-35.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 584.0 KB
Description:
Name: 20151223_124158-35.jpg
Views: 119
Size: 582.0 KB
Description:

SKYRC’s optional free S/W (Charge Master 2.0) for Windows computers lets you connect to, configure, and operate the charger via a USB connection (cable not included). The s/w has some limits & bugs (not listed here), but is still handy.

Not having the Wifi interface or temperature sensor, I could not test their functionality.

The charger supports the following operations:
• Lipo/LiIo/LiFe : CHARGE, DISCHARGE, STORAGE, FAST CHARGE, BALANCE
• NiMH/NiCd: CHARGE, AUTO CHARGE, DISCHARGE, RE-PEAK, CYCLE
• Pb: CHARGE, DISCHARGE

• “Battery Meter”
• “Battery Resistance”

First, the BAD PART of the review.

Name: 20151223_123233-35.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 569.6 KB
Description:
Name: 20151223_123759-35.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 455.4 KB
Description:

While the charger is great for the price, it comes with a European 220V power cord and includes an adaptor for American 110V outlets. I used the adapter for the first week for testing, and HIGHLY recommend you do not use the adapter. As shown in the pictures the adaptor is not polarized, and does not include the normal holes thru the blade-tips which help lock the blades into the wall outlet. Due to the lack of holes, the adapter falls out of wall outlets very easily. The adapter also does not carry through the electrical ground, only the supply and neutral. My testing shows that the metal case is isolated from ground/neutral, so the lack of polarization on the adapter should not be a major safety concern due to potentially reversing the supply and neutral.

Name: 20160102_181744-35.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 592.1 KB
Description:
Either replace the EU plug with the appropriate 3-pole 110V plug (as I did), or obtain a replacement power cord. This issue is not a show-stopper, as the charger is very good, and the price is fantastic.

Now, the GOOD PART of the review. For years I have used an ElectriFly Triton EQ AC/DC Charger, which is double the price of this unit, and has fewer features. While I love my older Triton, the SKYRC unit adds user-programmable charge configurations, a STORAGE CHARGE option, and PC/Android/IOS device interfaces. For me, nice additions.

The 50W limit of the charger means the system won’t provide much more than 4.4A to a 3S battery during charge whether running off of the built-in transformer, or a 12V source. Likewise, the charger is limited to a 5W discharge, so a 3S 12.6V battery is limited to ~0.4A discharge rate. These limits are fairly typical with chargers of this size/cost.

Banggood has free shipping on many of their products, and the delivery time was reasonable, especially considering it was during the end of December, during the holiday shipping rush.

Ordered 12/11/2015
Shipped 12/12/2015
Arrived in the USA, NYC, 12/21/2015
Received 12/23/2015

Name: 20151223_123522-35.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 497.0 KB
Description:

Name: 20151223_123251-35.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 636.0 KB
Description:

Name: 20151223_123317-35.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 517.9 KB
Description:

My use/testing continues, and I will update the post as I learn more.
Last edited by kross1; Jan 07, 2016 at 10:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2016, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
Update for LIHV, "Lipo High Voltage"

If you are not aware (I wasn't until last weekend) there are now lipo cells which charge to 4.35 volts per cell, vs. the standard 4.2 volts per cell. These cells, used in say a 3S pack, give you ~13 volts vs. the 12.6 volts which is typical.

These cells/packs need a different charger.

SKYRC has new firmware for several of their chargers which adds the ability to charge LIHV cells/packs, including this B6AC + V2 charger. This firmware update makes this charger all the more valuable.

http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...nt&news_id=185

While I have downloaded this code and upgraded my charger, I have not tested the new ability, as I do not yet own any LIHV packs. Just wanted to get the word out there about this!
May 19, 2016, 12:30 PM
hi guys, I have just bought this nice charger(V2) and I already have some questions, maybe someone can help me:
1. I've been charging NiCd and NiMH batteries and it seems this charger report about 10-25% less battery capacity than nominal even for a brand new batteries, I have tried discharging to 0.8V, but it makes no significant difference. do you think it is normal?
2. I have connected it to PC via usb PC link port, SKYRC charge master has a control and shows real time status, but it has no data logging feature and once a charge is complete or a software crash, all the data is lost. I was unsuccessful trying to connect it to any other data logging software. maybe some of you have any advise on this issue?
May 27, 2016, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
Asilens-

Sorry for not replying, but since I don't have an answer for you, maybe nothing lost?!

I have only charged Lipo packs, with good success. I have not used a NiCd in a long time. My charger seems to get my Lipo's to (or close enough to) 100%, I don't see any difference between this unit and a Triton EQ I use.

I have used the Charge Master s/w, and it does have some issues. At times where I thought it had locked up or crashed in reality it had a pop-up window (might be hidden behind another window, especially if you using the PC) which was waiting on a response. I saw this I think with "charge complete" or the likes.

I'll have to play with it again re: charge logging, I don't honestly recall.

By the way, there is a F/W update for the charger which enables LIPO High Voltage battery charging, if you are interested in LIHV, see earlier post about it.

Not a solid answer for you, sorry!
Jul 23, 2016, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asilens
2. I have connected it to PC via usb PC link port, SKYRC charge master has a control and shows real time status, but it has no data logging feature and once a charge is complete or a software crash, all the data is lost. I was unsuccessful trying to connect it to any other data logging software. maybe some of you have any advise on this issue?
Logview Studio (English) might be what your looking for. There's information, videos, etc. via Google. And an article on Hobbyking Forums (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...s.asp?TID=4598) I ran across.
Jul 23, 2016, 01:25 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Does the FW update add LiHv, or replace one of the 3 Li-settings, LiFe, Li-Ion and LiPo, with LiHv? I've seen some chargers recently, that added the LiHv program instead of Li-ion.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 23, 2016, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Does the FW update add LiHv, or replace one of the 3 Li-settings, LiFe, Li-Ion and LiPo, with LiHv? I've seen some chargers recently, that added the LiHv program instead of Li-ion.
It adds it. After upgrading I have:
  1. LiPo
  2. LiFe
  3. LiIo
  4. LiHV
  5. NiMH
  6. NiCD
  7. PB
Nov 18, 2016, 03:49 AM
dear asilens

You are not the only person, I received my b6ac+ and charging/discharging 18650's and it is 1000+mah less then the rated 3400mah that the battery rating. And this is verified by using another charger/discharger

I'm really mad at myself for spending the extra money on this piece of junk.

Has anyone managed to get a hold of skyrc customer service ?

BTW my firmware is up to date and my unit is orginal not a clone

Quick Reply