Mar 07, 2016, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2
Well Steve, Density Altitude isn't your problem

I used to fly at 4200 ft. so I know about "Density Altitude". We had to overpower everything.

The only density problem I might be having is the density between my ears.
I'm starting to think that my Seawind is just wimpy. I have read as much as I can find in the way of others observations and there are a few that suggest they could be more snappy but overall most everyone seems satisfied with the performance. As I have stated before, I'm not looking for a racer but I do have concerns about being able to make a decent takeoff from water. For now I'll go with 4S, 2200's as other are doing and hope for the best.

Cheers
Steve
Last edited by NoMoGlo; Mar 07, 2016 at 08:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2016, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
Steve, we all have a lot of density 'between our ears', so we can relate <g>....is there anyway you can get a video of yours flying off the ground?
Mar 07, 2016, 09:37 PM
I never know when conditions here will be suitable for flying. The wind blows here almost constantly and I mean blows, 20-30 mph is not unusual. And you can't count on the local weather predictors either as they have no more of a clue than I have. I have no video equipment although it would not matter as I have enough trouble taking still pictures. My 20 plus years of RC flying definatly tell me this plane, for some reason just doesn't have the snort it should. As I said before, I'll just fly it on 4S and if it cooks I'll replace whatever cooks.

Cheers
Steve

P.S. Did you see the numbers I posted on the other RC Groups, Seawind thread? The numbers on 3S power are pretty weak.
Mar 08, 2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks Glo..just the info I was looking for...I might call flyzone just to see what they say but it sould like a 4 cell is the way to go...Besides I seem to need the extra weight..had to add an ounce and I still have to have about 1/8 down on the elevator
Mar 08, 2016, 08:59 AM
I'm glad the information was helpful sanman55. I don't know what information Flyzone will give you as I have heard they don't care to part with much info and I doubt they would endorse 4S. For those having problems with the decals on this plane, I just ordered a set of red decals for the Dynam Seawind from Motion RC. Hopefully they will stick better. I understand that the mold release that stays on the fuse is what causes the problem so I'll clean that up with acetone and see if that helps.

Cheers
Steve
Mar 08, 2016, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Acetone on foam? Test it first!
Mar 08, 2016, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2
Acetone on foam? Test it first!
Not to worry Sir, done already. That's what is used to clean off the mold release on the Flyzone, DHC-2 Beaver in order to repaint it. Both the paint and stickers have a habit of coming off that plane. There is a discussion thread here on RC Groups that is several years old and still running and hundreds of pages long. The Beaver is a very popular model.

Cheers
Steve
Last edited by NoMoGlo; Mar 08, 2016 at 12:13 PM.
Mar 08, 2016, 12:11 PM
Thread OP
Gee Steve, once again I learned something new.....thanks for the update.....

Jerry

PS MAN has a review of the plane in the latest issue....
Mar 09, 2016, 08:00 AM
Glo...you were right ..they were not much help
I tried the 4 cell yesterday and it uped the watts to over 500+
but even flying around at half throttle the esc. was 138 degrees..a little hot for me..and the prop would cavitate at wide open..I think I will stick to the 3 cell..One thing I did learn ..my bird wants the cg at the first mark..I have to add down trim but with the heavy battery moving the cg to the 3/4 inch mark it flew great...for some reason mine is tail heavy and the further back cg marks But it is what it is..so I added weight to get it at about7/8 inch mark...no trim needed and flys hands off...still no water flight...
Mar 09, 2016, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55
Glo...you were right ..they were not much help
I tried the 4 cell yesterday and it uped the watts to over 500+
but even flying around at half throttle the esc. was 138 degrees..a little hot for me..and the prop would cavitate at wide open..I think I will stick to the 3 cell.
What prop were you using? I used a MAS 11X7X3 in the short test I did. I think a 3 blade of that size would reduce the load placed on both the motor and ESC but still provide more than enough power. At least that's my understanding of the way it works but I'm certainly no expert on electrics.

I have read what I can find on what is an acceptable temperature for a ESC and I have read anywhere from 85 to 200 degrees F so I don't know what to believe. Maybe someone who is really well versed on the subject can help me with that. I would certainly appreciate the help. Maybe stepping up to a 50 amp ESC is the answer, certainly not a deal breaker IMO.

Glad to hear you got the balance figured out.

Cheers
Steve
Mar 10, 2016, 07:38 AM
I was just using the stock prop..and its not so undedrpowered that I want to start changing sizes of props ect..I fly edf jets and they draw a lot of amps so I am kind of familiar with the heat of the esc..for me anything over 130 f is too hot.. plus because its a seaplane there really is not cooling for the battery or esc..
I have always been told if you can not hold your hand on it for maybe 10 sec. its too hot
Yep...at least I got the cg down I think I will keep her stock...thanks again for your input...sanford
Mar 10, 2016, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55
I was just using the stock prop..and its not so undedrpowered that I want to start changing sizes of props ect..I fly edf jets and they draw a lot of amps so I am kind of familiar with the heat of the esc..for me anything over 130 f is too hot.. plus because its a seaplane there really is not cooling for the battery or esc..
I have always been told if you can not hold your hand on it for maybe 10 sec. its too hot
Yep...at least I got the cg down I think I will keep her stock...thanks again for your input...sanford
OK great. Now I know what is considered an acceptable temp for an ESC. Thanks for the info. I will run a few more tests to be sure that the numbers I got previously were accurate.

Cheers
Steve
Mar 10, 2016, 01:28 PM
PA Team Pilot
I see my next amphib!, move over Tidewater

Quick Reply