Flyzone Seawind EP Select Scale

This amphibian can go from land to water with just a flip of a switch!

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: (1438mm)
Wing Area: 421 sq in (27.2 sq dm)
Weight: 61 oz (1729 g)
Wing Loading: 20.9 oz/sq ft (63.7 g/sq dm)
Length: 44.3" (1125mm)
Servos: installed
Transmitter: Futaba 6X
Receiver: Futaba R3006SB
Battery: FlightPower 3S 2200 mAh
Motor: installed
ESC: installed
Manufacturer: Flyzone
Available From: Tower Hobbies
Price: $229.99

Living in Arizona has its benefits one of which it is "nice" during the winter months, so when I was asked to do a seaplane review in January, well let's just say Arizona has the warmth, but we are sort of short of water! Nonetheless I took the challenge and found out there is a lot of water around the greater Phoenix area and flying off water is routinely done - but no one told me about that!

I found the Flyzone Seawind not only a quick assembly, but a great plane to fly off the ground AND off the water! The fact that it takes the common 3S 2200 battery surprised everyone. Now throw in a unique feature of a scale amphibian (you will have to read the flying section to find out what that is all about) and we have a "WINNER" here!

Unboxing video

UnBoxing FlyZone's SEAWIND (11 min 26 sec)

Kit Contents

Need to complete assembly

Assembly

The assembly of the Seawind took about 45 minutes and that included the time necessary to take pictures along the way! The instruction manual was excellent due in part to the clear pictures and short assembly procedure. The only additional item necessary to complete assembly was the need of a receiver, transmitter and of course battery.

Fuselage

The first step was installing the mechanical retracts - that consisted of installing three bolts for each retract! With that over the horizontal stabilizer was installed with one screw and inserting the elevator wire through the elevator horn. The top portion of the rudder (called the 'fin tip') was then inserted and we move on to the wing!

Wing

The two piece wing already has the flap and aileron servos mounted/connected as well as the wing tip lights and its own strobe light. All that was necessary was to slide the wing on the wing tube and insert into the fuselage making certain the electrical connections are inside the wing root. The trailing edge of the wing is then rotated up and a round retainer rotated 90 degrees and that wing panel is 99% complete. The second wing panel completed this task without any difficulties.

The wires from each flap servo was then slid into the "E-Z Connector" and secured. The supplied "Y" connector was installed on the flap servo wires and plugged into channel 6 on the receiver.

Tail

The only thing left to do to the tail was to connect/tighten the elevator push rod. Funny thing - the elevator was in neutral when the receiver was powered on!

Radio Installation

The only task was to plug in the connectors - which all had labels. The flaps were installed in slot (Channel) 6, the "Y" connector (ailerons) in Channel 1, elevator in Channel 2 the ESC into Channel 3 and rudder in Channel 4. With all those wires the whole tangled mess was just stuffed in the back as far as it could go, reinstalled the rear seat and no one knows what is back there. I liked the receiver being held in a sort of suspended location - not on the floor or side, so if some water does get into the fuselage, the chances of dunking the receiver is less of a chance of happening.

By the way, the ESC IS ON THE FLOOR of the fuselage, but it is covered in some white coating and even when 'wet' it did not short out!

The 3 cell 2200 mAh battery was pushed all the way forward, and the CG was right on the mark! The ESC has a "T" connector "STAR PLUG"

Completion

To complete the Seawind the prop was installed as was the Styrofoam spinner. The controls were checked and everything wiggled in the correct direction. I do not like the motor 'arming' as there isn't one! Plug your battery in and the prop will start spinning as soon as you bump the throttle.

The hatch caused some problems in that it kept falling down when installing/removing the battery, but after a while either I got used to it, or it stayed up because it quickly became a non-event! One 'problem' was when routing the battery wire, it is easy to go OVER the push rod which will prevent the front seat from being located firmly on its magnet. Some flights were done without a front seat. The magnets really hold the hatch down and never had any problems in flight. Opening the hatch does require some longer fingernails than the stubs found on my hands.

An interesting feature of the Seawind is that when the retracts are down, the water rudder retracts and when the wheels go up, the water rudder comes down! When sitting on the workbench and the wheels are retracted, the water rudder doesn't quite touch the bench but for transporting the plane, the landing gear is down.

Flying

Many of those watching this plane fly are very impressed that it is flying on a three cell 2200mAh battery! One of them insisted it was a four cell and wouldn't believe me until HE took it out of the plane! Of of the many who have flown this bird, NONE had anything bad to say for it - other than me! I didn't like the way it handled the aileron rolls, but after some practice, by George, they are 'almost' axial and that is something I wanted to discuss. Earlier I mentioned this plane has a "unique feature' in its flying abilities and what I meant by that was the Seawind can assist you in training how to do an axial roll!

The roll rate of the Seawind is bordering on slow - really slow when even compared to even most trainers. So how is this good you ask? Thanks for asking....because with this slow roll, it gives the pilot plenty of time (to think) add rudder, first one way, (think) then down elevator, (think) then rudder the opposite way. In so doing you are training to do not just any old roll, but a nice smooth, clean and straight roll! Who would have thought???

Basics

The Seawind will do many of the 'normal' aerobatics most sport pilots can successfully accomplish. So in addition to rolls, loops, hammerheads, Cuban "8's", Immelmans, etc are all within the ability of the plane. Without a doubt slow fly-bys are great, especially with the flaps down, gear up! For some reason this plane doesn't want to stall, but if it does the left wing drops and if you hold in left rudder and aileron, you will get a nice spin, maybe not the best, but it isn't a spiral either!

Taking Off and Landing

Oh this is where this bird shines! For some reason, all of my takeoffs (both land and water) were straight ahead and did not need any rudder to straighten out. Most of the time I like to use some flaps on take off as it does shorten the ground run. On water it was found best to use full flaps. In fact I think the only take offs without full flaps was to see if there was any difference and yes, no flaps equals a longer run!

Landings are a sight to behold as the Seawind just doesn't want to come down with full flaps, so you point the nose down after extending the flaps and ADD power to drive it down! When the plane is about 2-3 feet off the surface you pull back power to a notch or two just above idle and wait, wait, wait for it to settle on its mains. The Seawind sure does impress those in the proverbial "Peanut Gallery".

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

The Seawind isn't built for aerobatics, but it will do a whole lot more than just fly in a racetrack pattern. As previously mentioned it will do what most sport planes can do, but it may be a bit slower on some maneuvers than others. Without a doubt touch and goes are the most impressive.

Is This For a Beginner?

A rank beginner - NO! Anyone with any experience can fly this plane but I would urge a buddy box for the first few flights, especially if you are learning to land or take off water. It would be a shame for a newbie get this bird flipped over out in the middle of some lake and have to wait for the wind to blow it up to the shore. We only flipped ours over once but we won't talk about that right now.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Flyzone's SEAWIND flying off water! (4 min 13 sec)
:Some great takeoffs and landings!

Last edited by tailskid2; Feb 02, 2016 at 08:28 PM..
Feb 20, 2016, 11:31 AM
Was wondering when this would happen...would really like a 4 cell{ that's all I use now} but 3 is fine...me likey ordering today....
Feb 20, 2016, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
I don't know the AMP rating of the ESC as it was already installed and tucked under the servo tray. I really think a 3 cell is enough for this bird as aerobatics is not its #1 purpose, but it will do the loops, rolls, etc with enough authority.
Last edited by tailskid2; Feb 20, 2016 at 11:15 PM.
Feb 21, 2016, 09:10 AM
nice pictures..can not wait to get mine..
Motionrc and tower are offering free shipping with the same price as flyzone...got to save where you can...I had already ordered mine before I saw that...
I can not wait to just roll her up the ramp after landing...will freak them out...
Feb 23, 2016, 08:30 AM
Mine arrives tomorrow getting excited......
Feb 23, 2016, 11:24 PM
I had the pleasure to float fly with Jerry recently and let me tell you that little Flyzone Seawind was super cool! I especially liked watching him taxi it on the hardpack right into the lake to retract the gear and take off from the water. Lots of fun and the bird handled nicely. It was a hit at the float fly among all the flyers!
Feb 24, 2016, 04:52 PM
Just finished my build and I must say I was impressed with the ease of the build and the unique way the wings were mounted...the only small thing was that the flap wire was a little short on one side...but no big deal.
Love the lights and the blinking ones too...also had a problem with the retracts but with a little fiddle its fine...can not wait to fly her...maybe Friday...Nice looking bird
Feb 24, 2016, 09:23 PM
3D Sunset Flier
Really enjoyed the review, so I went out & bought one!

Flew the maiden today off of concrete, but I'll be out at the lake next week. She flies great & I can't wait to get her on water.

It's a high quality bird. Hobbico did a fine job with this one!
Feb 24, 2016, 11:02 PM
Thread OP
Buzzed looks like a happy camper
Feb 24, 2016, 11:08 PM
3D Sunset Flier
Hehe! New toys are always fun!

Feb 25, 2016, 07:53 AM
The quality was exceptional for a bird in this price range..I was impressed with the sealing applied in the nosewell and the esc....
Windy hear today...maybe tomorrow and lake saterday.
I will say I have not seen a collet grip type on the prop..I would have felt a little better with a bolt on prop...but I can not remember one coming off in flight -- well one......just nit picking
Feb 25, 2016, 01:16 PM
is down elevator needed when flaps are deployed??
Feb 25, 2016, 02:38 PM
3D Sunset Flier
I put just a little to keep it from ballooning when I deploy the flaps to the Take-Off & Landing settings. It didn't take much:
Feb 25, 2016, 03:55 PM
ok...thanks
Feb 25, 2016, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
I have the flaps on a three-way switch so I have different amounts of down.....I put in a lot of down elevator when landing to keep the nose pointing down then relax the elevator and it flies level for landing....

Quick Reply