Jul 29, 2004, 07:20 AM
Thread OP
Question

3-blade prop on GWS Zero

Hello everybody! I was thinking about installing a 3-blade prop on my GWS Zero. Do you think it would work or would the stock motor and gear box be too weak? Going with 2s E-tec 1200HPs.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2004, 08:09 AM
easily confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perminator
Hello everybody! I was thinking about installing a 3-blade prop on my GWS Zero. Do you think it would work or would the stock motor and gear box be too weak? Going with 2s E-tec 1200HPs.
Worth a shot, I don't expect you'd have much problem, dunno how efficient it'd be. I run the GWS 1080 and APC 10 X 7 props on my Zeke with about the same battery, mine's TP I think...but I don't recall seeing 3 bladers on Zeros. That 3 blade 9070 was a must for my Stuka though I haven't flown it yet...we shall see.

Glenn
Jul 29, 2004, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
GWS has a 9x7 3 blader. Figure I will test fly it with the 10x8 and maybe paint and put the 9x7 on afterwards.
Jul 29, 2004, 09:41 AM
Stuka, stuka? What type/make?
Jul 29, 2004, 09:56 AM
easily confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplphabandaid
Stuka, stuka? What type/make?
Here's my build thread. If you make fun of me for not flying it yet, as so many others have, there will be beatings...

I'm off to go try some ROGs with my GWS Zero now...been flying it and getting comfortable with it for a bit, so it seems the thing to do if I'm gonna maiden the Stuka in a reasonable time frame!

Glenn
Jul 29, 2004, 12:05 PM
easily confused
Well, the Gummint Guys were striping the paved area at the park I fly in and out of, so I figured ROGs were out for today, left the gear off and flew a couple times in the adjoining grass field...but then I said to myself 'fortune favors the bold' (as does Death, of course) and decided to try flying off the gravel path in the soccer field parking area...

A pretty godawful runway; now I know how Saburo Sakai felt trying to fly his Zero out of the cruddy strip at Rabaul!

But, wonder of wonders, no mishaps! 3 takeoffs and landings, and some practice flying a rectangular pattern. They were bumpy due to the uneven terrain, but the Zero handled them nicely. Yeah, it kooks a little silly with the skinny wire gear and foam wheels, but I like these way better than the GWS skeletonized ones. I also had no problems with the wooden tailwheel I substituted for GWS' as far as ground handling.

After this adventure I took a break, calmed my nerves and flew a bit more off the grass field minus the wheels till the ESC cut the motor, probably an all-up total of 22-23 minutes on the 1200 mAh lipo pack, a fair bit of which was at reduced power...much fun was had.

I LOVE this plane! Thank you again, Mr. Lin!

Anyway I do have a point in posting; I'm really liking the APC 10 X 7 prop. Drops right in with a cheap APC-to-GWS adaptor from GWS. I think it's a bit more efficient than the GWS 1080 should the 3 blade 9070 not be totally to your liking.

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Jul 29, 2004 at 12:08 PM.
Jul 29, 2004, 12:10 PM
I use the 3 bladed from HL I think its a 9x7 on a MPJet 25/35 and it flies real great. Because it somewhat flexible it will hum while doing a hispeed dive! It should be ok on the std setup as well.

Quick Reply