2016 Los Banos Scale Soaring Event - Weather Update - see latest posts - RC Groups
Jan 06, 2016, 05:54 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy
Discussion

2016 Los Banos Scale Soaring Event - Weather Update - see latest posts

Mark your calendars - April 16th/17th, 2016 for the 23rd Annual Los Banos Aerotow and Slope Soar.

We were going to move it up to March for better winds, but El Nino is here so chance of a wet March are high. We'll try March when the drought comes back...

More to come - stay tuned.

ONLINE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE AT:

http://www.scalesoaring.com/#!los-ba...stration/ytzm2

Bruce DeVisser
Lynsel Miller
Last edited by Bruce DeVisser; Apr 11, 2016 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added online registration link
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2016, 07:09 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Those dates should work out great Bruce. Looking forward to it.

Sean
Jan 12, 2016, 10:55 PM
Slopeaholic
I'm going to start working on my hall pass early. I miss you guys!

-hutch
Feb 23, 2016, 06:49 PM
I'm All Thumbs
I took the whole month off,no excuses now.
11 years since I've been out flying!Batterys ordered,2.4 equip. getting setup,afraid if I start practicing I'll break something at a critical time
Now where's that @*#! FAA sign up...
Skies
Jay.
P.S. And AMA too.
Mar 31, 2016, 01:28 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

2016 LB T-shirt design

Hi everyone,

Sorry I forgot to update this - here is the 2016 design.

Looking forward to another fun event this year. I will fly my 6.5m LS-4 and 5.33m ASK-13.
Mar 31, 2016, 01:35 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

BBQ Grill and Cook FOUND for Saturday April 16!!

Help! Totally forgot to post this earlier. We are looking for someone to bring their bbq (gas or charcoal) to the event to cook burgers and dogs on Saturday. All you need to bring is yourself, the grill, and whatever fuel you need. All the food, tent, tables will be provided, also others will take money and serve the food.

Please contact me at 408-921-1900 (cell) or bruce.devisser@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks!
Bruce

Ken Peartree has graciously volunteered to bring his grill and cook! Thanks, Ken!!
Last edited by Bruce DeVisser; Apr 12, 2016 at 07:18 PM.
Apr 10, 2016, 09:32 PM
BUFF-USAF

WOW! time really flys when your are having fun

Would you look at that -- next week-end the Los Banos event will be here!
I can't wait to try out my ASW 27B. My ASK 21 is ready to go as well.

Hope work doesn't get in the way!

Dave
Apr 11, 2016, 09:52 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

Weather Update

It has been raining in Los Banos but now a dry spell is forecast. For those who head out earlier in the week please check with the Park Rangers before you go to make sure the site is open. The Ranger's kiosk phone at the bottom of the Dam is 209-826-6393.

If it rains significantly on either Thursday or Friday the Park might not open the gates until Saturday.

The current forecast is dry with a slight chance of rain Thursday morning, winds Thursday noon NW at 19 and Friday noon NW at 24.

We will provide updates here on Thursday and Friday.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce DeVisser; Apr 12, 2016 at 02:48 PM.
Apr 13, 2016, 11:12 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
I was really hoping the weather would cooperate this year, but it looks like it's doing the opposite.
I don't see any rain in the forecast, but all of the wind is today-Friday.
Will there be any aerotowing?
Apr 14, 2016, 12:34 AM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy
Of course there will be aerotowing! We will have 2-4 tow planes for the calm conditions on Saturday and Sunday.
Apr 14, 2016, 10:04 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

Thursday Weather update

The field was mowed today, and some of the guys were sloping in 30mph winds!! Looks good for tomorrow for sloping again, mid-70's. Dry for the weekend, 80 Saturday, 90 Sunday, winds light and variable.

Get your scale on and get out there!
Apr 15, 2016, 08:12 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Friday was one of the best slope days I can remember at Los Banos. It blew early in the morning and was still strong when I left in the afternoon.
Apr 16, 2016, 12:05 AM
Showed up at 6 pm and maidened the Arcus woo hoo!! Thanks so much to Eric for chucking it off the cliff & to everybody there for moral support. The wind and lift were the best I've ever seen there. Super smooth too!
Apr 17, 2016, 06:51 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

Los Banos wrap-up

Thanks to everyone who came out to support our 23rd annual event. Turnout was low with only 20 registered pilots. We managed to get some sloping in Saturday with light winds, and a fair bit of aerotowing.

Sunday the wind as forecast was from the SE - a few people were seen heading for the far western hill to give it a try.

Let's hope the weather pattern continues to evolve and swing back towards the spring weather we like, such as we had this week.
Apr 18, 2016, 12:09 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Big thanks to all the volunteers who make this event happen year after year.