Jan 06, 2016, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

No more telemetry on my Taranis with FrSky Smart lipo sensor

Hi guys,
I've got my quad working really well with the FrSky Smart Port Lipo Sensor FLVSS and my Taranis.

The Taranis showed me the voltage of each cell....just perfect!

Then I've had a crash.

The display of the FrSky Smart Port Lipo Sensor broke and my X8R receiver lost one antenna.

...I've recovered the quad and the FrSky Sensor still worked + Telemetry showed up on the Taranis.

I've ordered a new antenna and a new lipo sensor but suddenly I don't get any more Telemetry.

I keep trying the broken FrSky telemetry and the new one but nothing. I don't know what happened, any idea?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2016, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
any idea?
May 01, 2019, 12:55 PM
I see this is an old unanswered post. It may still help others to mention some basic troubleshooting. If you have any other telemetry sensors, are they still working through the rx? If no other telemetry sensors work through that rx, but work through another telemetry capable frsky rx, then the problem is likely narrowed down to the rx that was in the quad when it crashed, maybe a smart port connection or part of the smart port circuitry on the 'crashed' rx, or a cable in the smart port chain. Try swapping smart port cables (careful of polarity if using the mini lipo sensor!). A bad smart port cable could cause problems with all telemetry sensors connected to, and after it. It sounds worth it to have on hand even a low end frsky telemetry capable rx,, as a diagnostic tool, simply to test if a questionable telemetry sensor is bad or not. Save that cheapie rx as a separate model on your OpenTX tx so you can easily switch to it in the field, to test a sensor, without unnecessarily modifying your actual model's config that had previously been working. And keep on hand spare smart port cables for swapping out an entire chain of cables if necessary. You might get plenty resolved quickly at the field, if these items are on hand.

And of course, after a crash, while still determining what may or may not still be working properly, it might be wise to NOT start updating firmware on any of the components involved, whether tx or rx or other. This may only further complicate the diagnostic process, if everything was working perfectly well, reliably, and consistently, before the crash occurred, since that makes it more probable that the crash introduced a problem rather than a lurking problem having caused the crash (though that too is not unheard of). Best 'guess' from what I read is that the crash broke something in the telemetry sensor 'chain' hardware.
Last edited by straightnlevel; May 01, 2019 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply