Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
View Poll Results: Do you think that under the current FAA rules that itís legal to fly FPV in the US us
Itís legal to fly behind trees and over hills as long as itís for a short time. 9 11.25%
Itís legal as alone as long as you stay with your visual distance. 28 35.00%
Itís only legal if I have a spotter. 26 32.50%
Itís not legal with goggles, only legal with a monitor. 5 6.25%
Itís not legal. 23 28.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 05, 2016, 01:22 PM
A man with too many toys
Poll

Is FPV legal in the US

Is FPV with goggles legal in the US?
Last edited by RC Man; Jan 06, 2016 at 05:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2016, 01:35 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
According to the Rules that I accepted when I Registered Myself...No , I must have visual sight of my UAS while in flight. Do I still fly FPV...Yes...On my own Property away from Occupied Private Property and below 100 Ft. Am I risking a possible FAA Fine and Imprisonment ...technically Yes...Do I fear it happening ..NO.
Jan 05, 2016, 01:43 PM
I do not see it as being illegal per se. The FAA wants us to follow "Safety Guidelines" The FAA did not issue laws, rules or regulations for this. I think people missed reading the title for the safety guidelines that they issued. I understand "Safety Guidelines" as being some good ways to be safe when flying RC model aircraft. Just common sense stuff. The FAA Safety guides aren't all that different from the AMA safety guides either.

Now if you do something stupid, then maybe you might get in trouble. But whether the FAA would do something about it could be a whole other issue though. Everything depends on the circumstances.

I do get concerned with people flying in and out of trees behind buildings etc. 2.4g radios tend to be line of sight anyway. So doing such things may eventually cause problems. But if the area you do it in is free of people or things to hurt or damage and you are being safe about it, then I don't have a problem with it.
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 05, 2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typo correction
Jan 05, 2016, 04:06 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
I do not see it as being illegal per se. The FAA wants us to follow "Safety Guidelines" The FAA did not issue laws, rules or regulations for this. I think people missed reading the title for the safety guidelines that they issued. I understand "Safety Guidelines" as being some good ways to be safe when flying RC model aircraft. Just common sense stuff. The FAA Safety guides aren't all that different from the AMA safety guides either.

Now if you do something stupid, then maybe you might get in trouble. But whether the FAA would do something about it could be a whole other issue though. Everything depends on the circumstances.

I do get concerned with people flying in and out of trees behind buildings etc. 2.4g radios tend to be line of sight anyway. So doing such things may eventually cause problems. But if the area you do it in is free of people or things to hurt or damage and you are being safe about it, then I don't have a problem with it.

Delete....Lost my thoughts ..lol...Senior Moment...
Last edited by jinly; Jan 05, 2016 at 04:14 PM.
Jan 06, 2016, 03:59 AM
You need one more option in the poll:

It is legal. Period.

Sigh. Fight for what we desire.
Jan 06, 2016, 07:13 PM
A man with too many toys
Amazing that the majority voting think it’s totally illegal. Does that indicate that most are giving up on FPV?
Jan 06, 2016, 07:45 PM
I think it's legal in your home with the blinds down but a spotter is still required.
Jan 06, 2016, 07:54 PM
That isn't a bad idea about the spotter. Heck I was flying a little ProtoX FPV inside and I ran into myself with it. Those little itty bitty propellers cut me up pretty good too. When those little tiny motors have those props spun up at speed, the props can sure cut the heck out of you. You wouldn't think something that small could get you, but it can.
Jan 06, 2016, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Amazing that the majority voting think it’s totally illegal. Does that indicate that most are giving up on FPV?

Nah, you're just assuming that because some federal or state regulatory agency declares
something illegal, that everyone will stop doing it. People break the law knowingly
and unknowingly all the time.
Using non-FCC certified RC and video equipment without a Ham license is also "totally illegal" but that hasn't stopped most FPV pilots.
Using a handheld FRS/GMRS radio at more than 0.5W or on exclusive GMRS frequencies without obtaining a GMRS license from the FCC is totally illegal, yet everyone does it.
Jaywalking is totally illegal, yet people continue to do it all the time.
Driving over the speed limit is totally illegal but people continue to do it all the time.
Not paying import duties on all purchases over $200 from your favorite foreign FPV vendor, is totally illegal, but people do it all the time.
Not calculating and paying local sales taxes for *all* items you buy from out of state, is totally illegal but people do it all the time.
The list goes on and on.

BTW, it's also possible for the statements
"FPV is legal" and "FAA thinks FPV is illegal" to be true at the same time, as several
of the things that the FAA has done over the last couple years go against the intent
of the law (Sec 336) and they did not follow their own legal NPRM processes , yet they
just keep building on that shaky foundation.
Jan 07, 2016, 11:43 AM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Amazing that the majority voting think itís totally illegal. Does that indicate that most are giving up on FPV?

Nooo Waaay!... ha ha I will never give up on FPV. Even though I think the Govt. thinks its unacceptable.
Jan 07, 2016, 11:45 AM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
That isn't a bad idea about the spotter. Heck I was flying a little ProtoX FPV inside and I ran into myself with it. Those little itty bitty propellers cut me up pretty good too. When those little tiny motors have those props spun up at speed, the props can sure cut the heck out of you. You wouldn't think something that small could get you, but it can.
yes,, everytime I hear my little Racer come around, I make sure I can see myself in the video. It is a little intimidating hearing that buzzing noise get louder and louder.
Jan 07, 2016, 12:12 PM
info in uk about the (caa) meeting,note all the other people who fly involved
Jan 18, 2016, 10:42 AM
336 states you must fly within VLOS (distance) and follow CBO guidelines.

The only ones I know of that address FPV would be AMA Safety code, document 550 and possibly 560, which allow FPV with a spotter.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf

And per the AMA blog: (emphasis added by me)
Quote:
Q: Am I permitted to fly first person view (FPV)? Can I fly at night?

A: Yes. AMA members are still protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. As long as AMA members continue to follow AMA’s safety guidelines for these activities, they can continue to fly. The guidelines listed on the FAA UAS website do not negate the modeling activities and related safety procedures established in AMA’s community-based safety program.
This debate has been argued to death in other threads but you had some good choices in your poll.

Edit: Although, technically, I would have to pick two poll choices, within visual distance and with a spotter.
Last edited by waltm; Jan 18, 2016 at 10:49 AM.
Jan 18, 2016, 12:23 PM
400' + is where fun starts.
^^ True Dat^^
Last edited by Martin Y; Jun 08, 2016 at 10:30 PM.
Jan 18, 2016, 01:52 PM
according to the ama, if you follow their rules in 550 you are legal:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=99

Quick Reply