Jan 05, 2016, 06:51 AM
Correx IS Always The Answer!
Thread OP
Discussion

Need help making Mugi Evo Fly!!

Hello all

I built myself a Mugi evo and now i'm ready to fly it, the only problem is, it will not fly.

I do feel the motor has enough power but when i launch it just wont go, am i doing it wrong or what? what info should i give to solve my problem?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2016, 11:01 AM
Every gram is sacred
Is it the standard size (800mm span)? What is the AUW and what motor are you using?

Mugis can be quite challenging to launch and won't fly at all if the CG is too far back. They prefer to be light too - around 450g - 550g is a good weight. I've added a launch handle to mine to make it easier to launch. Some folks swear by a discus style throw, but I've never tried that method. I usually hold full up elevator and bleed off as speed increases.

There is also a mugi thread here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...236710&page=11
Jan 07, 2016, 03:13 AM
Thread OP
Thanks man i'm waaay overweight!
Mine weighs roughly 650 grams!
I have to add that i used 3mm correx not 2mm
i'm using a 3s 2200mah battery
I do not know the KV of the motor as it has come of but it does feel sufficient
I have a few photos here too
This was only a prototype to see all the flaws i'd have building it. I'm getting alot of 2mm correx tomorrow then i'm going to completely rebuild it exactly to plan
Could you figure out what motor that is? I know the ESC is a towerpro but it's label has also come of
Oh and it's also not the pretiest at the moment
Jan 07, 2016, 09:49 AM
Every gram is sacred
I use a 1300mAh Lip pushed as far fwd as possible, and running span-wise, so save 50g just on the battery. You need a decent C-value Lipo though as the 2200KV motor draws about 26A at full throttle.

If you are making a new one, this post has some ideas for some improvements that don't add much weight: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...48&postcount=9.

Impossible to guess the KV of the motor. Looks to be about a 28-12 size, which is spot on, but if it's a low KV motor and you under-prop it, you won't have the power...but if it's a high KV motor and you over prop it, I guess you won't have a motor for long . Try a 6x4 prop and run for a few minutes. If it gets very hot, the KV is probably above 2200 and you need a smaller prop. If it remains very cool, try an 8x6 or higher. That size motor often comes in 2200KV (6x4 prop), 1450KV (8x6 prop) or 1100KV (9x6 prop).
Jan 07, 2016, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
Yep i do use a 6x4 prop and my LiPo has a 25C rating I can feel that the plane really wants to go so i know it has sufficient power, i tried the test and the motor only gets warm to touch but not much. Those are good ideas to add thanks! I'm going to try the toss launch when i'm done building the new one (Holding the side of the mugi and tossing). Hope the new one will be much lighter! Also going to get some ball joint servo links tomorrow from clown hobbies along with the correx from maizey's. will keep you updated with progress of the new 2mm mugi, hoping to fly it sunday!
Jan 09, 2016, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
I have a question, do your servo connectors on the servo not touch the top body? like rubbing against it?

Quick Reply