Jan 04, 2016, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Sagitta XC construction

I've read and read and viewed build logs, but I am so unsure of what to do to connect the wings to the fuselage sides. Can someone please explain how the wings are held fast?

I understand the use of steel tubes, carbon rods, dihedral, etc for building and mounting wings. And they have to be able to be removeable. Are the wings held on by a snug fit, friction? Before I start building, this is the only part "I don't get!"

Any advice, information you can help me out with is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

jamesHa
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2016, 10:05 PM
Pm sent
Jan 04, 2016, 10:06 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesHa
I've read and read and viewed build logs, but I am so unsure of what to do to connect the wings to the fuselage sides. Can someone please explain how the wings are held fast

jamesHa
I have not built a Sagitta XL, but if it is like the smaller versions they use a spring that connects to 2 eye hooks that are screwed into the plywood root ribs of each wing half. There are holes in the fuselage sides where the wings mount up, allowing the eye hooks to pass into the interior of the fuselage, which is accessible when the top hatch is removed. When the wings are mated up to the fuselage sides, the spring is attached to the eye hooks, holding both wings snug in place..

Check your plans...you should see the set up.

Andy
Jan 04, 2016, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Thanks so much.

jim
Jan 05, 2016, 12:50 AM
If it flies - I want one!

Hooks, springs and alternatives

Yes, my Sagitta XC had two screw-eyes on one wing root, and two matching screw-hooks on the other. Two short springs were supplied in the kit and they were stretched and hooked over the opposing screw-hooks on assembly - permanently located on the hook-eyes.
They were fiddly to hook up, but worked fine.
An alternative solution might be screw-hooks with small cable ties to hold them together, cut and discarded after flight.
There is no real force separating the wings in flight, so even strong magnets might work?
Enjoy your XC - outstanding flyer!
Pete
Jan 05, 2016, 03:41 PM
Thread OP

screw eyes and springs

Pete,

Thanks for the ideas. I am not building from a kit, so I will fiddle around with springs and hooks when I get there. Not sure what size or strength spring to use but I will figure something out when I get there. This step is a loong way off.

jim
Jan 05, 2016, 03:56 PM
This was discussed in one of the Sagitta threads (I think it was) in the Thermal forum a month or two back. Some guys use the springs, some guys use tape to hold the wings together, some use beeswax on the joiner rod, some dimple up the joiner rod so it is a tighter fit in the brass socket tubes. There are lots of ways to skin this particular cat.

EDIT - My mistake, I found it a month or two back while searching around but the posts are all older. Search on "beeswax" in the Thermal forum and you will find a number of threads and hits on it.

Mark
Oct 12, 2019, 12:10 AM
THERMAL WHORE
Picked this up today. Many years of wanting and now she's mine!
Oct 12, 2019, 12:23 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Sweet! Will bring the winch down Monday eve for inspection.
Cheers,
Pete
Oct 12, 2019, 08:10 AM
Open the screw eyes up enough to make it look like a hook and use #64 rubber bands. Easily accessible through top hatch.

JT

Quick Reply