Jan 04, 2016, 03:18 PM
SSMA #01M9382, AMA #137824
Thread OP
Build Log

Olympic II Kit Build - Airtronics Vintage version

I purchased this incomplete Olympic II kit several years ago off eBay. It's missing the fuselage pieces, which I knew, so I'll have to create those pieces from scratch. Not a problem. Just a little more work.

I started laying out pieces just to see what parts I have to work with. I definitely have all the wing parts, joiners, etc. Those are all there in the box. It looks like I have all the materials needed for the tail feathers too.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2016, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
There are some older build logs on Olympics including the Skybench version, but the moderator for this forum suggested I start a new fresh one. This Oly will be built with modern methods. No dinosaur-hide based glues.

I worked on the tailfeathers first. No problems encountered and all the parts where there that I needed. I'm using aliphatic resin glue in most spots with CA as needed.

I put wax paper down on the plans. I kept the original plans pristine and made copies of them to build from. My building board is a water rescue spine board. Its made out of about 16 ply material. Very strong and very flat! On top of that, I have glued ceiling tile material. I've built a number of aircraft on this spine board. Its portable and really perfect for this use. It was a factory second with a bad paint job. That's how I got it for free. I'll get a better photo of that in the future.
Jan 04, 2016, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
I was hoping to use standard Futaba 3004 servos. Shown is a bum servo I have to figure space requirements. But, as you can see, the 3004's are a little too big. I will find some lower profile versions.

I plan on installing the spoilers, so the three servo arrangement noted on the plans is best. Yes, sideways mounted servos can rock a little bit in their mounts, but on an Olympic thermal sailplane don't think they are going to see those kinds of forces.
Jan 04, 2016, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
Over the 2016 New Year's holiday, I was able to get a lot of work done on the center section of the wing. As always, the Airtronics quality was there for the rib lengths and notches. I've build several airtronics kits over the years. A Sagitta 900 and some powered planes. They are always so nice to build.

Next I cut out formers. For those, I measured off the plans and used scrap from previous projects.
Jan 05, 2016, 07:51 PM
I built Sig Riser 2 meter and used Two Futaba S3004's. Plus my Tower Vista ARF has same servos. Oly 11 is standard class If i'm right ?
HS 82,s Hi Tech are smaller m/g and work great in my Kestrel 2 Mrter.
Build looks fine and good luck with it.
Jan 05, 2016, 10:27 PM
Another winner from the past! Nice work so far.
John
Jan 06, 2016, 09:16 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Hope to get some more work on it this weekend. First week back at work after Christmas time off wears me out!

Yes, the Olympic is standard class. 99" span. I can make 3004 servos fit if I trim the tabs a wee bit. I have some Airtronics servos that will fit. I just had other plans for those. Oh well. Guess that's why they sell more!

Here's some back-in-the-day photos of me with my Craft-air Viking. I also built a Airtronics Sagitta 900. Still have both, so, this will be sailplane #3 that I can still fly.

I started off with a Goldberg Gentle Lady. Flew the bajeebees out of that 2M sailplane and then sold it to get $ for another project. Wish I hadn't. It was a lot of fun and good memories. I also scratch built a Challenger from RCM plans (photo is upside down because it was hanging from the ceiling). Sold it too. What the heck was I thinking? I guess I can build another. It had the higher speed Eppler 205 airfoil. I don't recall it thermaling all that well, but it was fun to fly.

The last one you see there is the "L.A.R.S" sailplane. Also from RCM plans. "L.A.R.S." stood for Low Aspect Ratio Sailplane. The thought was it was still the same wing area/loading, but in a much stronger wing. It flew pretty well. Mid-air took the life of that one. I'd like to build it again.
Last edited by HelloScott; Jan 06, 2016 at 09:26 AM.
Jan 06, 2016, 03:05 PM
volare est vivere
hi there from Toledo

I use HS-81 MG servos for the rudder and elevator, and two HS-55 servos for the spoilers. They have worked well for over 5 years, no problem.

ciao rjf
Jan 06, 2016, 07:24 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
One of the problems with the Oly II is spar strength. Almost every one I saw fold it's wings did so because of a compression failure of the top spar cap in the main panels. Fibrous materials like wood usually have about twice the tensile strength as they have in compression. To equalize the stresses, the top cap needs to be twice as big. I scratch built one for a young man in Houston that could not build, because of his physical defects. I knew he was a bit hard on models, so I doubled the size of the top spar caps. It never failed... just a bit of food for thought as you progress...

Darth Itchy...
Last edited by schrederman; Jan 06, 2016 at 07:30 PM.
Jan 06, 2016, 11:27 PM
Nice looking birds in Pictures. I have Sagitta 900 kit to build down the road.
Jan 07, 2016, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley
hi there from Toledo

I use HS-81 MG servos for the rudder and elevator, and two HS-55 servos for the spoilers. They have worked well for over 5 years, no problem.

ciao rjf
Do you happen to have a photo of how you hooked them up Ray? I like that idea.
Jan 07, 2016, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
One of the problems with the Oly II is spar strength. Almost every one I saw fold it's wings did so because of a compression failure of the top spar cap in the main panels. Fibrous materials like wood usually have about twice the tensile strength as they have in compression. To equalize the stresses, the top cap needs to be twice as big. I scratch built one for a young man in Houston that could not build, because of his physical defects. I knew he was a bit hard on models, so I doubled the size of the top spar caps. It never failed... just a bit of food for thought as you progress...

Darth Itchy...
The Skybench version, they have beefed up the spars and ply joiners quite a bit. I am beyond the time to do that, but I could put something along the side of the spar I think.

Did they fold wings under a standard launch, or trying to zoom launch?
Jan 07, 2016, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
Honestly what sealed the deal for me was attending the Nostalgia Sailplane NATS last summer at the AMA in Muncie, IN. I just went as a spectator, but enjoyed myself thoroughly. A guy with an Olympic (see photo below) was just maxing out over and over. That sealed the deal. It was time for me to build one again! His was stock as you can see in the photos. THE colors too from the box lid. Iconic.

Scott
Jan 08, 2016, 12:25 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloScott
The Skybench version, they have beefed up the spars and ply joiners quite a bit. I am beyond the time to do that, but I could put something along the side of the spar I think.

Did they fold wings under a standard launch, or trying to zoom launch?
The ones I saw fold were either on a winch, or trying to come down from a boomer thermal. I never saw anyone try a zoom launch.
Jan 08, 2016, 01:29 PM
Gasbags & Gussets

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
The ones I saw fold were either on a winch, or trying to come down from a boomer thermal. I never saw anyone try a zoom launch.
If using a winch you must 'tap-tap-tap' the pedal otherwise the wings will break and model crash. There is no need to 'zoom' the model as it doesn't 'zoom', its designed to just fly fairly slowly and there is no more speed to be had.

Of all my rc sailplanes the OlyII has the most airtime and is most enjoyable to fly.

john s.

Quick Reply