Jan 04, 2016, 12:14 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Thread OP
Discussion

Do you plug-n-play or switch things up?

Hi all,

For years I have been using a switchjack system to power up and to charge through and thus have been quite used to taping my canopy shut and not going under the hood more than once or twice a year. And with the ballast box under the wing I never had to.

Now I am building out a couple of shiny new birds which will use lollipop ballast and suddenly I am loath to want to make a hole in my shiny fuse for the jack.

I am wondering out there how many of you just plug the battery in to fly or to charge without any switch, or how many of you are using magnetic switches like the Zepsus, and how many of you are still using a switchjack and just keeping the lid closed like in the good old days.

Let us know what your favorite method is to move those electrons around and why.

Thanks,
Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2016, 01:09 AM
Will fly for food
I use a direct plug and I use a single cell lipo so I plug in when I get there and don't bother unplugging until I leave or until 3 to 4 hours have gone by.
Jan 04, 2016, 01:45 AM
Zepsus switch for me. I figure the less I have to play with plugs the better but the battery is still discharged back to storage charge at the end of every session, however it mostly stays in the plane. Ideally I may fit just a charge lead into the battery as well.
Jan 04, 2016, 01:49 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
On snipe zepsus with fixed load connector onder the left wing in the thin part of the canopy, glued to the boom.

I hardly ever slide off the nosecone, only to change ballast. Thats for me once in a match. Im not that picky on ballast.

On a Helios im still thinking. So little place. For the moment just those red connectors.
Jan 04, 2016, 01:54 AM
No really, it doesn't have one
I use a direct plug with 1 cell lipo in all but the Vibe. On that one I went with a switch jack because I got tired of having to dig out the battery connector to charge and it's got a good place to put a switch jack.
Jan 04, 2016, 07:14 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Zepsus with a charge lead added. Altimeter wired to plug into charge lead.
1s.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 04, 2016, 08:09 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Homemade harness with a micro toggle switch
Jan 04, 2016, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Zepsus with a charge lead added. Altimeter wired to plug into charge lead.
1s.
My setup is the same, except for different switch manufacturer (UK based).

http://www.practicalrc.com/pico-switch.html

The fact that there is no physical plug/unplug between the battery and the rx, means that I can more tightly package the components under the canopy and of course is more reliable.

I think most people who try the magnetic switches will never go back to conventional.
Jan 04, 2016, 09:18 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S

I think most people who try the magnetic switches will never go back to conventional.
I certainly won't.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 04, 2016, 09:27 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
Homemade harness with a micro toggle switch
Roy, first toggle switch I've seen in a dlg. How do you charge and how do you attach the canopy?

Wayne
Jan 04, 2016, 10:27 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
Roy, first toggle switch I've seen in a dlg. How do you charge and how do you attach the canopy?

Wayne
The toggle is shortened a bit, by about 4 or 5 mm. The wiring has another connector for charging, look carefully at the picture.

I use a carbon rod, on some models it's front to back, on others two pieces, onbthe back I have a small plywood stopper so the canopy can't go backwards. To mount the canopy you slidebit forward then back up to the stopper, prevents the canopy from sliding back during a hand catch.
Been using this method for the last 18 years on both F3J and F3K models.
Jan 04, 2016, 10:44 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
The toggle is shortened a bit, by about 4 or 5 mm. The wiring has another connector for charging, look carefully at the pictures.
Yes, I see it now. Also remember your wooden stops on the canopy now that I see that picture.

When you read all the threads, sometimes there is too much info to remember it all. Brain overload.
Jan 04, 2016, 11:08 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
I'm actually thinking of using another easy concept when using 1s lipo:

take a standard male servo connector lengthener, male side, with the protection sleeve, so that the pins are actually inside.
mount it flush to the surface at some place on your canopy.
connect pin 2 to the minus and 3 to the plus of the battery,
connect pin 1 to the plus and 2 to the minus of the receiver.

now, to charge, just plug in a servo cable connected to your charger with the charge voltage on pin 2 minus and 3 plus.

to fly, plug in a bind plug, connecting pin 1 and 3.

if you accidentally put the charger plug in in revers, it will just try to charge your receiver with no damage done.

Any reasons this should not work??
Jan 04, 2016, 11:31 AM
hot air rises...
Quote:
Originally Posted by l shems
I'm actually thinking of using another easy concept when using 1s lipo:

take a standard male servo connector lengthener, male side, with the protection sleeve, so that the pins are actually inside.
mount it flush to the surface at some place on your canopy.
connect pin 2 to the minus and 3 to the plus of the battery,
connect pin 1 to the plus and 2 to the minus of the receiver.

now, to charge, just plug in a servo cable connected to your charger with the charge voltage on pin 2 minus and 3 plus.

to fly, plug in a bind plug, connecting pin 1 and 3.

if you accidentally put the charger plug in in revers, it will just try to charge your receiver with no damage done.

Any reasons this should not work??
Seems like extra "work" for no benefit to me. You still have to plug/unplug a connection every time you start to fly, end flying and charging. And where are you going to store that bind plug between flights? Might as well just keep a single JST connector between the RX and battery. FWIW, that's what I do on all my Snipes. I like to glue the female connector on top of one of the servos and the battery side hanging loose. I've not had any plug issues in the couple years of probably more than the average guy's use.

The magnetic switches sound fun though...
Jan 04, 2016, 01:12 PM
My best setup yet is a single cell with a Mag+ magnetic switch which has a tiny digital readout that shines through the pod of my XXlite. Gives current cell voltage, max amps drawn and total mah used. Open the canopy to charge.

Robert Samuels ... St. Louis

Quick Reply