Jan 03, 2016, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Re-Cover a plane

I had a bit of a crash last July and after inspecting the plane I found that a good amount of covering was going to have to be removed from the plane to make it easier to repair. My question is should I try to remove (or cut out) the hinges and get all parts seperated or recover as a completed plane with only removing screwed on parts like landing gear and horns?
I know I still have to cover all surfaces individually but separating them sure doesn't look easy. Any tips or tricks to doing a re-cover job?
Let me state that this is my first covering job. I have read through a bunch of info on the basics of covering and have practiced a little on another plane that I acquired that needs a bit of work but all in all this will be my first one.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2016, 08:29 PM
Removing (cutting) the hinges would make it easier and faster to recover, especially if they are CA hinges. Covering is possible without removing them, but takes longer and makes for a more tedious job.
Jan 04, 2016, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I've done a lot of recovering without cutting hinges. It's a pain but not that bad. I use many small pieces at th hinge lines first, then do the major covering.
Edwin

Quick Reply