Jan 03, 2016, 05:56 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Daming DM003 Quadcopter (review)

A while back I have flown the GW-007, the "upgraded" version of the DM-007. Daming recently released a smaller quad, that looks very much like it, at first sight. Will it fly very similar, or be totally different? Let's find out...

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantuee you will get a product that performs the same as seen and described in this review.

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Transmitter (posting #1)
4: Flying Performance (posting #1)
5: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Hints, Tips & Modifications (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a link and a picture,

http://www.banggood.com/DM003-Mini-S...p-1011093.html

2 - Unboxing:

The DM003 (at least the version with the smallest transmitter) comes in a simple cardboard box:

Instead of the regular thin plastic insert, Daming chose to use foam to hold quad and transmitter in place. Seems to have worked well, even though the box had been crushed a little, the contents seemed in great shape.

Inside we find the quad, transmitter, 4 spare props, USB charger, and the landing skids.

From the bottom, the quad looks like this (blue markings on the battery are made by me, to keep it apart from other 300 mAh batteries):

Prop guards are screwed on, so these can be removed without having to cut things:

Total weight with battery and prop guards is 35.32 gram. The battery itself is 8.70 grams.

3 - Transmitter:

This quad can be purchased with 2 different transmitters, one a more hobby grade looking, and one that resembles a game-controller:

I only got the white game-controller style type, and it feels ok. It takes 3 AA size batteries, so it likely can go a long way before having to replace. One thing that I noticed when handling the transmitter, is that something was rattling inside. Would likely be a piece of plastic, but I decided to open it up anyway. Turned out to be a good thing, as the loose part was the transmitter antenna(!)

Which should have been attached on this little "riser board" with the transceiver chip:

Apart from that incident, the transmitter looks ok from the inside, and has a recessed push button to power on, or off:

So time to get the soldering iron out, and re-attach the wire, before the first flight.

As some pictures in the manual reminded me of the HuiYing 852, the "Gremlin" version, I decided to check that transmitter first for compatibility. And this was a direct hit, it worked! So it uses an already established protocol, and is extremely likely to be compatible with Deviation TX. One note, despite that the quad can bind to the 852 transmitter, it has the aileron channel reversed. So it's not possible to fly the DM-003 with the 852 or 6058 transmitter, unless you like the extra challenge of reversed aileron controls...

4 - Flying Performance

Bad weather outside, so I could only do a quick test indoor. After moving the throttle up and down, to arm, the quad is ready. First thing that is very obvious, is how smooth it sounds. Just a buzzing sound from the props, which is very agreeable to hear. Yaw rate and pitch are already quite lively, even on low rates. Switching to medium rates, the max pitch takes a big step. It can go to almost 45 degrees on quick elevator movements, and if being wild with the sticks, the quad will drop down fast, due to the extreme pitch, and lack of lift in that situation. Yaw rate is also faster. High rates doesn't seem to add any extra pitch or yaw speed, but maybe outside it will feel different.

LVC on mine isn't working well. At some moment, just after 4 minutes of flight, you feel the throttle response getting softer, less punchy. That is the time the battery is starting to get low. However, I could still keep flying, until if does a forced descent, and only when on the ground, the LVC leds start to blink. So these warn you of something you already knew, that the battery was drained. Might be just on mine, and that others have better tuned LVC. Flight time till this happens is little over 4 1/2 minutes, which isn't overly long. The LiPo was a bit warm after that, and was around 3.50 volts resting voltage. So might be best to land it as soon as it start to feel like the power is dropping, for better LiPo life expectancy.

5 - Preliminary Verdict:

A smooth, rather silent quad, that has steep pitch rates. Based upon the short indoor flights so far, it seems like it's mostly aimed at fast outdoor flying, unless sticking to the lowest rate. Would have been nice if the pitch would increase in smaller increments, between low rate, and medium. Especially with the game controller style transmitter, it will be more than a challenge to fly at anything above low rates. Flight times are a tad short, considering the 300 mAh battery. The HiuYing 852/853 manages about an extra minute on the same size battery, and probably has more powerful motors too.

The quad itself seems neatly built, the game controller style transmitter needed repair right away, but this could have been a fluke. The lack of different color props front and rear, makes it hard to track orientation, even with the leds shining through the partially translucent black plastic.

In short, it's steep pitch make it stand out from the crowd, but it does have a few loose ends here and there, that could be improved upon,

Pros:

- Compatible with existing protocol, can likely be flown with Deviation TX
- Very steep pitch and good yaw, that changes with rate setting
- Silent, smooth sounding motors

Cons:

- Due to aileron channel being reversed, it's not possible to fly with other RTF transmitters that use same protocol
- LVC kicks in rather late, at least on mine, after the battery was close to critical voltage. Might be a risk of hurting the battery
- Transmitter came with antenna broken off the transceiver board.
- Short flight times of only over 4 minutes on 300 mAh battery.
- Pitch already so steep on medium settings, that it's getting hard to fly with the game controller style transmitter

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

Not really. It does have prop guards, but even on the lowest control rates, it is not very docile. On medium rates it's way too twitchy.

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 12, 2017 at 04:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2016, 05:57 AM
Thread OP

7 - Hints, Tips and Modifications:

As mentioned earlier, the stock battery is a bit on the heavy side for it's capacity. There are lighter alternatives. Both the Tmart 300 mAh 30C batteries, as well as the NanoTech 260 mAh batteries will fit well. The NanoTech is almost 1 g lighter, and the Tmart battery about 0.5 g.

(reserved)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 04, 2016 at 07:06 PM.
Jan 03, 2016, 06:58 AM
Vox Furry Regem
i heard good things about this one as a cheapie. So I'll probably be very disappointed.
Jan 03, 2016, 07:53 AM
On mine power is droping a few seconds before Leds start flashing

What's the max mah battery compatible with DM003 ?

.. It flys nicely if commands are moved "gently"
Last edited by fanedi; Jan 03, 2016 at 08:01 AM.
Jan 03, 2016, 12:08 PM
Can someone tell me what size motors it uses?
Jan 03, 2016, 12:18 PM
What is the range of this guy?

Edmond
Jan 03, 2016, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanedi
On mine power is droping a few seconds before Leds start flashing

What's the max mah battery compatible with DM003 ?

.. It flys nicely if commands are moved "gently"
I managed to get one outdoor flight in today, on low rates it's already quite nice, on medium it turns to a beast, if not being mild on the sticks. It's easy to make it bank so far in a turn, that it just drops from the sky. So the max pitch is mostly useful to get some extra speed on forward flight, but not for other moves, unless maybe manual flips, these might be possible with these extreme pitch angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlegy
Can someone tell me what size motors it uses?
Will get to that, My first guess is some 7mm model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y
What is the range of this guy?

Edmond

Need to do some more testing, I didn't get a fly away condition yet, up till 20 metres. Couldn't go much further, as the quad is full black, with black props, so keeping track of heading is very difficult.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jan 03, 2016, 01:51 PM
40 m in my backyard with thé big TX

And probably more but not tested
Jan 03, 2016, 01:51 PM
Do you think this is a better option than the jjrc 1000? It is cheaper, but is it better?
Jan 03, 2016, 02:00 PM
I think that jjrc 1000 fliés à little better. .. but only 10 flight and already à motor not working (after à little shock)
Jan 03, 2016, 02:19 PM
I currently want to buy something > Should it be the jjrc 1000 or the dm003?
Jan 03, 2016, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlegy
I currently want to buy something > Should it be the jjrc 1000 or the dm003?
If the "1000" is still not "upgraded" beyond being usable, I think it's a better option. The DM003 is more silent, and has steeper pitch, but I doubt it will have the same excellent range of the "1000" and certainly not as good as night flyer, due to being all black.
Jan 04, 2016, 01:31 AM
Vox Furry Regem
So the range is supposedly better with the largest Tx according to it's specs. Anyone willing to try maximum range airborne with the smaller Tx then ?
Jan 04, 2016, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Added pictures...
Jan 05, 2016, 02:22 AM
Thread OP
Added some more content to preliminary verdict, added battery options, and a little more on the LVC behavior, as well as flight times.

Quick Reply