Jan 02, 2016, 11:13 PM
Thread OP
Help!

What Engine is this ???

I recently made a large purchase from a guy who's father passed years ago and as I went through the boxes, I found this engine that has no size stamped into it. The carb just says "FOX" and there are no other markings that I could find.

What is this thing? And yes, it's for sale.

Donnie
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2016, 01:24 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
Fox Eagle II .60 I believe.

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...agle%20II.html
Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; Jan 03, 2016 at 01:51 AM.
Jan 03, 2016, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info, and great website link for engine specs.
Jan 03, 2016, 10:58 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniegilbert
Thanks for the info, and great website link for engine specs.
That engine looks like it's had a rough life... I wouldn't put a very high value to it. Parts for Fox engines - especially the old ones such as your Eagle II .60 (10cc) are scarce. Realistically, I wouldn't expect to get more than $25-50/shipped for it and assume it would be sold only for parts. Brand new ones in the box usually sell for $75-125 with about $100 being average and that's for the more modern versions (Eagle III and IV). Good engines for their day though.
Jan 03, 2016, 11:46 AM
Yes it is a Fox Eagle II .60 engine.
Jan 03, 2016, 02:14 PM
Thread OP
Reading through a search for more info, I found this in a thread.

Here's a review by Peter Chinn:
http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...gle%20III.html

Is it an Eagle II or Eagle III ? How can I tell?

And to 1QwkSport2.5r, the engine actually appears to have very little use, just bad storage. I see no burning on the piston and the interior is shiny.

I don't have a fox muffler anymore, so if I try to start it, I will need my ear plugs. It does turn over. Just feels a little rough. I have had other engines that felt that way after sitting and once started, they smoothed right out after some lubrication.

So, Eagle II or Eagle III ???

Thanks
Jan 03, 2016, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
Sorry, chopped the link.

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...gle%20III.html
Jan 03, 2016, 02:29 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
It's an Eagle II as we said. The Eagle I has a canted glow plug. Eagle II has no support web from the mounting lugs to the front of the crankcase. Eagle III has the support webs from the engine mounts to the front housing.

The pictures you posted make it look like it's in poor condition. Regardless, not a real valuable piece although it should run strong. If the crank turns roughly, plan to replace the bearings. The broken glow plug stem is concerning to me also. If it is in running condition, run it with a muffler if you can. Bigger engines like this will make your ears feel like they're gonna bleed without hearing protection.
Jan 03, 2016, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info. You might see it in the for sale section soon. I sold all my FOX engines, so this one isn't needed especially since it needs a muffler. And if it doesn't sell, then maybe it will go onto my old DuraPlane and I can see how fast it goes until the wing rip off.
Jan 07, 2016, 09:26 PM
I was given one of these a few weeks ago. Today was nice out and I wanted to run a couple of engines on my stand and I remembered the Fox Eagle that I was given. The only prop I could find that I had already drilled to fit a large shaft was a 13X10. So I put it on the Fox and gave it a test run. It started very easy and didn't act like I had over propped it. The carb was easy to set up and I like the way the engine runs. I'm going to put it in a plane for next summer.
Jan 07, 2016, 11:21 PM
Interesting, I had a eagle 1 or 2 and must say it was one of the worst engines Ive ever owned! Carb was terrible, cheaply made. Easy to see why fox folded.
Jan 08, 2016, 04:50 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
A lot of problems folks have with Fox engines is the fuel they use. Many were designed with low or no nitro fuel in mind. Using even 5% in some engines caused all sorts of problems. Many folks also don't know that the Model Airplane News .60 engine shootout out the Fox .60 at the top of the heap when it came down to power production beating the Rossi among others. If you're lucky enough to have the MkX carburetor, you have a nice two needle carb that works like many other 2-needle carbs. Put on a smaller prop and watch it make a little magic. Those older Carburetors were tricky to use if you didn't read the instructions on tuning them. Some needed the idle mixture tuned first. The Eagle I engine, IIRC, was a baffle piston engine with a slanted glow plug and the Eagle II, III, and IV were Schnürle ported engines. FWIW anyway.

Keep in mind - I don't like Fox engines much at all, but some models are actually really good engines that are sometimes given a bad rap because the operator doesn't understand them. The K&B Sportster engines are another one that is often beat up for being a piece of junk. They're actually fantastic running engines if you understand them.
Jan 08, 2016, 11:59 AM
Fox engines were good value but had the ugliest casting finish I've ever seen.
Jan 11, 2016, 12:59 AM
Suspended Account
I think It was Eagle II engine . I have using last year . It was amazing .

Quick Reply