Jan 02, 2016, 08:47 PM
RC Addict
Thread OP
Discussion

Moving company lost all my planes. Advice for a new one?

I recently moved from Chicago to Oakland CA. Our house in Chicago was twice the size so we have waaaay too much stuff and therefore boxes of stuff in our basement and garage. Today I finally got through all my boxes and found that all my gliders are gone. I will be calling the moving company but in the interim I need to buy a new plane for my new location. At the moment I can only afford one so I need some advice.

For background my old slope was a trash hill that would not provide great lift except in select conditions. I used to have a Combat Wing, a Weasel, a Raptor and an Alula. I also have a Hobie Hawk in a box which I mean to get flying one day but frankly I am scared to destroy it. I do not enjoy building and fly foamie because I would consider myself a good not great pilot..yet.

So I need a good all purpose plane for the Bay Area. I have never flown here so I don't really know what that means in terms of conditions. I was thinking a Weasel but I don't see them on Dreamflites website anymore. I also saw the Zulu referenced here and that looks interesting. Can anyone help me spend my money?
Last edited by abarickman; Jan 02, 2016 at 11:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2016, 08:59 PM
The Molded Zulu would be a good choice for all around flying. It will fly in as little as 5 mph and I ve flown mine up 18 mph Easy assembly about 2 hours, and really fun to fly !!
Jan 02, 2016, 09:01 PM
It's not going to build itself
Let me be the first to say, have no fear with the Hobie. Just send it to me and you won't have to worry about it anymore .
Jan 02, 2016, 09:05 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Bummer about your luck hope you get it sorted out soon.

If cash strapped is a concern you could build a Zagnutz for just a few bucks:

http://home1.gte.net/texhills/index.html

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jan 02, 2016, 09:06 PM
It's not going to build itself
You can't go wrong with something like a Zulu or Alula. Check in with Wayne at Alofthobbies.comHe's local, and he'll take care of you and help you spend your money.
Tom
Jan 02, 2016, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the Bay Area!

You can't go wrong with a Wing. I might have a spare Kato or two.

I've lost planes during a move before and it sucks when a 30yr old plane is destroyed by ignorance. If the Hobie made it thru, you are ahead of the game.

Hobies fly great,.... with a little nose lowered attitude, but they do have some attributes that are unique. Don't be afraid.
Jan 02, 2016, 11:32 PM
RC Addict
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME
Let me be the first to say, have no fear with the Hobie. Just send it to me and you won't have to worry about it anymore .
Ha. Very kind of you. Speaking of the Hobie Hawk check out this awesome video from 1975.
Hobie Hawk / Hobie Model Company 1975 promo video (8 min 48 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick J
The Molded Zulu would be a good choice for all around flying. It will fly in as little as 5 mph and I ve flown mine up 18 mph Easy assembly about 2 hours, and really fun to fly !!
Thank you for the suggestion. It looks like a great plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME
You can't go wrong with something like a Zulu or Alula. Check in with Wayne at Alofthobbies.comHe's local, and he'll take care of you and help you spend your money.
Tom
Buying local always seems like a good idea. Are they on-line only or is there a shop to visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely
Welcome to the Bay Area!

I've lost planes during a move before and it sucks when a 30yr old plane is destroyed by ignorance. If the Hobie made it thru, you are ahead of the game.

Hobies fly great,.... with a little nose lowered attitude, but they do have some attributes that are unique. Don't be afraid.
Thank you. I am really pumped to get out and fly. I have never flown in a seriously good spot.

The Hobie made it due to being in its original foam box. Great engineering even in packaging. I have heard they are hard to land so I am going to have to find a spot with a nice soft landing area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Bummer about your luck hope you get it sorted out soon.

If cash strapped is a concern you could build a Zagnutz for just a few bucks:

http://home1.gte.net/texhills/index.html

Ryan
Thank you!
Jan 02, 2016, 11:46 PM
RC Addict
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely
Welcome to the Bay Area!

Hey Chip. Whats a Kato? Any website you can refer me to?

I LOVED my Combat Wing. First sloper I ever flew and it was just so much fun in anything from 12-40 MPH.
Jan 02, 2016, 11:59 PM
Check this thread,

....for both some pix of the Kato (symmetrical airfoil Wing) as well as some local flying spot.

Good landing zones this time of year,....green grass growing tall
Jan 03, 2016, 11:55 PM
I know that the AMA has a insurance policy that covers you if your airplanes are stolen in your car, not sure if that applies to moving truck. You might want to look into it.
Jan 04, 2016, 11:05 AM
Yeah, feel free to stop by the shop. We have the Zulu and SST and FSST wings in stock. We are open weekdays during business hours. I think you will like the Zulu a lot.

As for flying, will have to wait until the sun pops out again. You are lucky to now live close to many great slopes and a lot of great pilots in the area. I think you will enjoy it a lot!

-Wayne

p.s. I have a Hobie Hawk sitting in the box here also. (Not for sale!) I need to get modern radio gear in it and get it back into the air this summer!
Jan 04, 2016, 12:30 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Also, to meet up with local fliers, you could check out the Sunset Beach Bash...see stickied thread at top of this slope forum.
Jan 04, 2016, 10:40 PM
auto-tune remix
When you get settled come on out to Tick Point in Marin County. It's 1 mile north of the Pelican Inn by Muir Beach. Fun spot, and usually some good lift. Spring will be here before you know it.
Jan 04, 2016, 11:49 PM
RC Addict
Thread OP
OK perhaps a dumb questions but why spring? Is there no flying in winter?
Last edited by abarickman; Jan 05, 2016 at 12:24 AM.
Jan 05, 2016, 01:16 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Summer/winter have lulls...for the most part.

Quick Reply