Sep 24, 2016, 11:45 AM
AMA 8614

Hickey Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Great photos!! Fantastic location. How smooth was the runway surface under the grass?
It's not perfect, but we were able to fly a lot of smaller planes off the grass. The biggest prolems were for those with wheel pants. They usually tipped over once the landing roll got slower. There were no plane damaged to my knowledge though. BJ
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2016, 11:00 PM
AMA 8614

A Day at the Masters

I took a day trip over to Woodland-Davis to look at the Scale Masters Championships today. Great fun. It was a clear day with a brisk wind, but the flying was fantastic. There were about 46 models entered. BJ
Oct 02, 2016, 10:23 PM
Official Boat Bum
Amazing! Thanks for posting the photos. Chris Wolfe won Grand Champion with his Mirage / Kfir Jet just today.
Oct 08, 2016, 12:56 PM
Official Boat Bum
It's been quiet lately...

I have been really busy over the summer with work but I thought I'd add two recent maidens.

PC-21 - and - Mig-21

I've got a "21" thing going I guess.

PC-21 is 94" long with an 82" wing span and weighs 24-28 pounds depending on the flight pack I use (5 minutes to 10 minutes duration). I have about 12 flights on the PC-21, done up in a future Roulettes paint scheme (RAAF display team) . This PC-21 is probably the nicest flying aircraft I've ever owned since I've been flying model airplanes at age 8.

The Mig-21 is about 60" long but only a 31" wing span and only weighs about 6.5 pounds. I still need to add the Romanian decals to the Mig. 5 Flights on the Mig so far, she flies wonderfully for this type a plane, very surprised at how docile she flies. Da Svyedanya! (да Сведана)!!

I also met a new member who visited the Carson City field on Thursday when I was out solo testing the mig-21. He moved to the USA from Europe a few years back and has come to Reno from the Bay Area. He is into scale, ducted fan, electric and glow powered models. You guys may get a chance to meet him soon!

Cheers-
Oct 08, 2016, 09:15 PM
Official Boat Bum
Wish I would have been home for that! "On the road again..." (In Austin TX today, one of the many homes of Willie Nelson, speaking of that song)
Jan 20, 2017, 09:01 AM
Official Boat Bum
As I look out my window I see a lot of white stuff. You bet we need the water and I'm happy to have it. But I bet the runway is covered in snow! I'd love to get some flying in some day

I wanted to thank "Paulie C" (his stage name for this video) for filming a few test clips on his new hat cam a few months ago. I don't have much video of my planes except for occasional generous guys who might throw some film at me to edit. Paul shot two flights of mine on his own accord and gave me the video clips to edit. Thank you Paul!!

This is my 1/4 scale Pilatus PC-21. Who's ready to fly?

PC 21 Nov16 (7 min 37 sec)
Jan 28, 2017, 09:38 AM
AMA 8614

Still Snow In Carson

Here is a link to our Frozen Finger Fun-fly Redux. We have had a blast flying off the snow this week. Today could be the last day. Yesterday was fantastic.

Thanks to Lance Morrison for the video.

BJ

Frozen Finger Fun Fly Redux January 27, 2017 (3 min 24 sec)
Jan 31, 2017, 04:06 PM
Official Boat Bum
Wow very cool video!

Anyone have a current field report? Is the snow melted enough to fly something without skis by tomorrow?

Jan 31, 2017, 06:13 PM
AMA 8614

Stilll 40 Per Cent Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Wow very cool video!

Anyone have a current field report? Is the snow melted enough to fly something without skis by tomorrow?

There is still about 40 percent on the runway, but it is thin and icy. Guys have been flying off wheels since Sunday. You wouldn't want to fly the Pilatus or EDF's but some lighter foamies would be fine. We flew the skis off the east end of the field where the uc strip is today with no prob;em and it will probably be the same tomorrow morning. It could rain tomorrow night. Bob J
Feb 01, 2017, 07:09 PM
Official Boat Bum
Thanks Bob!

A lot burned off today. Several of us took a chance and were rewarded with some very nice flying. Mid morning, 10am or so, was a little iffy with patches of snow throughout. But by the afternoon the runway was essentially clear in the center 70 percent and out to the ends.
Feb 01, 2017, 08:01 PM
AMA 8614

Snow at HSRCC

Ed...Glad you made it out. I got tied up, so I'll have to catch you next time. That was the longest lasting snow we've had in a long time. Plus the weather wasn't bad, or too windy. It was a blast. BJ
Feb 16, 2017, 06:38 PM
AMA 8614

HSRCC Events for 2017

HSRCC finalized our event schedule for 2017. As I receive the schedules from the other clubs, I will combine them here to make a comprehensive list of all of the events in our area. If you know of or have other club schedules, please get them to me. Let me know if you have any questions.-BJ