Jan 01, 2016, 04:36 PM
low and slow
Thread OP
Build Log

H-4 Hercules "Spruce Goose" Scale 1:25

Those of you knowing me have surely noticed my fascination for the old classic flying boats.
I have built 5 of Ivan Pettigrew’s models, and my favourite is the Martin Mars by far..

Ever since my son Daniel and I went to Chilliwack in 2013, this project has been lurking in the background. The Mars model even got us a ride in the original Hawaii Mars. The videos I posted caught their attention, and during our stay in Canada, we were invited on a short flight. The flying boat craze did not get any better after that..

On the same trip we drove down to McMinnville to have a look at the Spruce Goose. Even tried out Howard’s seat. They had his hat lying around as well.

I know the Hercules has been modelled several times, and is even available as a kit. I’m still going to make my own. Scale 1:25 is big.. After all it is still the world’s largest plane. The wingspan will be 390cm, and it is 266cm long. For transportation and storage, no part can be longer than 200cm. That means I have to cut the fuselage just in front of the tail.

It will be built the Ivan way, and I hope to get the weight down to around 7kg. The Mars is 4.1kg. I will then have more or less the same wing loading as the Mars.

I work full time as a pilot with Scandinavian Airlines, so I don’t know when I’ll be able to finish this project, but with a bit of luck, before next winter.

I’ll keep you updated.

Arvid
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2016, 06:32 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Very ambitious project Arvid! I'll be following this one with great intrest.

Have fun !

Bart
Jan 01, 2016, 08:45 PM
Spad Driver
Building another airplane with construction inspired by Ivan would be another tribute to the "master". I had the privilege of spending a couple of days with Ivan last year at Chilliwack. My Empire, Circe, designed by Bart but inspired by Ivan, was a big hit at the lake. Your Hercules Spruce Goose would definitely get a lot of attention if you could get it to Chilliwack but I'm sure that this would be a project in itself.

Jim
Jan 02, 2016, 02:51 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Great start to an epic build Arvid!

Robin
Jan 02, 2016, 04:15 AM
Looks like an ambitious project, but I can't think of anyone better equipped to take it on. Make sure to design the packing case along with the model though, so you can bring it over here when the time comes!
Jan 02, 2016, 05:56 AM
build like there is no 2moz
Arvid,
Great plan :-) that root profile is bigger then some of my planes :-O
Will be watching with interest

Scott
Jan 02, 2016, 08:01 AM
low and slow
Thread OP
Air transport will require 2 boxes with a total volume of almost 1 cubic meter.. And that much volume might cost a few $$$$. UK could be possible with SAS, but Canada will involve some other airline.. Just have to build her first..
Jan 02, 2016, 08:19 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Great project Arvid - she will be close enough to the same scale as my Princess, so perhaps we could get them on the water together?
Jan 02, 2016, 09:32 AM
Would it not be awesome if we could arrange for us Flyingboat builders to all meet at a meeting.

Perhaps Faszination Wasserflug at the Grundlsee in Austria 21-22 May 2016? Im going to visit that meeting and Jim (parkcityskier) is also flying in for that weekend. It is a very large floatfly event in a beautifull setting. Pilots visit from all over europe and beyond.

http://www.ige-salzkammergut.at/

Cheers,

Bart

http://www.ige-salzkammergut.at/Fasz...015/index.html
Jan 03, 2016, 03:54 PM
low and slow
Thread OP
Getting well on the way on the front part of the fuselage. The construction is fairly simple. The top of the fuselage is a straight line from aft of the cockpit to the tail. Top is a half circle, and the tail behind the second step is a cone.

-Almost...

Ivan's construction uses mainly 5x5mm sticks. Because of the size, I'm using 6x6mm. That is actually a 44% weight increase.. So far I have glued 258 grams of balsa together.. Some parts will be removed later. (braces, and a few sticks used for keeping it together.

Arvid
Jan 03, 2016, 03:56 PM
low and slow
Thread OP
Bart, it would be a great idea to find some common ground.. (or rather water)

Arvid
Jan 03, 2016, 05:11 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Whoa that was quick!

First post says the man's got a full time job so it might be a while then a couple of days later the bones of a barn appear!

Are you using strip from the model shop or cutting from sheet Arvid - because the shop bought stock is the hardest grade they can find and it'd save a lot of weight to strip from medium-soft sheet. I'd definitely recommend cutting your own for the tail end... especially if it's all going to be sheeted with 1.5mm balsa... is it?

Robin
Jan 03, 2016, 05:16 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Agreed we all need to find a place to meet up and fly our boats...maybe next year?
Jan 03, 2016, 05:17 PM
Any thoughts about the Meeting in Austria i mentioned ?

Cheers,

Bart
Jan 03, 2016, 05:27 PM
low and slow
Thread OP
I've had a vacation during Christmas... And the boss has been in Malaysia with her family..

Yes I'm cutting everything myself. I have a Proxxon saw for that. http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/27006.php?list
The tail will be made of thinner sticks as well. Bottom will be 2mm balsa. The rest 1.5 mm.

Tomorrow afternoon it's back to work. The boss comes home middle of the month. I guess things will slow down then....

Quick Reply