Dec 31, 2015, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Alert

DJI Geofence - an attempt for freedom and privacy of UAV operators

Here is a link for rules of Geofence:
http://www.dji.com/mobile/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

Hm, i will have to authorize every flight over my garden in my City, even in my own house. I will stay with old firmware forever, and with DJI for never. Now i have locked a flying over airports and stadiums. Personally i dont care about that, but in new fw i will have locked almost everything in my country, even TSA zones over few kilometers up, and every one my flight will be tracked.

This is the last nail to DJI coffin. NO for alleged safety. This is only about tracking people or to find a scapegoat!

There is no other stupid solution on the market. Even with toy syma, parrot or anything else your flights are not collected and processed.

And what in a case of some air incident what could happend in the same day and area of Your flight?
Gov ask DJI for flight data, they get all DJI users who flied that day, all of them will be called to police, questioned and their drone will be keep by Government for analyse. It may take even a year.

And even not in a case of air incident. Someone will get a white toy for 30 bucks and his neighbor will call a police (only because he can), and a few people from authorization area could be questioned and waste a time.

Sorry, i do not have a time and desire for a that kind of unpleasantness.

IF this geofence systems could aplly to current no-fly zones and stadiums - OK - this is ont a big deal and i can understand security concerns.
But locking a 3/4 space of country? For a God sake!

Check maps for Your countries. This is the quarter of my:
http://i.imgur.com/bXsqYwQ.jpg

And what is the logic for putting NFZ for TSA zone, active over FL095 when Phantom limit is 500m?
And about cities - there is no NFZ there, of course you need to get a clearance to fly over Warsaw, but everyone will get it. Authorization by DJI is not needed. A garden near home at downtown is NOT area near airport!

Yellow authorization zones should be only 'warning' zones, and not all of course. Most of them should not have even 'warning', because there is no law or logic reason for that.

Only one reason of that. Not Your safety at all.
http://i.imgur.com/iYl33zx.jpg

Thread on Official DJI forum:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=v...&fromuid=51556

Really, i like my P3, but....
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2015, 09:38 PM
Is this added to Naza new firmware as well? if so I'm certainly not changing my FW
Dec 31, 2015, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
I think they will just add NFZ at first connection to the Internet, so you wil be forced to upgrade to unlock area and use your quad (and 3/4 of country need to unlock...)
If it prevent of adding this geofence or any other NFZ i will definately stay with old f/w... but to be honest - i think i will return my p3. This will not be the product what i payed.
Dec 31, 2015, 10:30 PM
How's it feel to learn you don't really own that which you paid for? By having the ability to change and limit your FC software on a whim they've told you all you did was rent it from them, on their terms.
Jan 01, 2016, 12:55 AM
MMAC Brian. K
When will someone with the ability and knowledge crack the fw to bypass all this? Just like apple phone jailbreaks.
Jan 01, 2016, 01:06 AM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmybaldwin
Is this added to Naza new firmware as well? if so I'm certainly not changing my FW
Really want to know this as well. Have a naza-m v2 f550 purchased earlier this year... I am not pleased at all with this and will never buy a phantom 3 now.
Jan 01, 2016, 02:04 AM
Well I'm not a DJI owner, but if this is where the hobby is heading, I'm definitely getting out.
Jan 01, 2016, 04:37 AM
DesertEagle
DJI's response

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/white-house-drone/

“We do provide different layers of security to make it difficult to hack and get around,” says DJI’s Perry. But for those determined to avoid geofencing, “there’s an easy way to do that, which is to buy another quad-copter.”

Well OK then... no problem.. hmm Yunecc or maybe the Solo hmm
Jan 01, 2016, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
No problem i you want to buy a drone, but not if you have dji product already.

I am angry becaue i like my p3 an this is a good product, but dji and geofence policy i breaking a deal completely.
Jan 01, 2016, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1
When will someone with the ability and knowledge crack the fw to bypass all this? Just like apple phone jailbreaks.
Then again, you are depending on others. If you want the freedom and do whatever you ask, ask the guy in the mirror.
Programming the fc is not hard. The tool and the source code are free; all it takes is time & effort.
Jan 01, 2016, 10:57 AM
Running jokes into the ground
I just got an Inspire 1...guess i wont be updating the firmware anytime soon. FFS
Jan 01, 2016, 11:01 AM
We need to recognize that manufacturers are simply using the flight restriction software to protect themselves from legal liability. It has nothing to do with flight safety. It's all about the money, their money.

We should also recognize that every brand of flight controller that uses GPS and receives manufacturer provided updates via the web will experience a software upgrade that restricts flight in locations determined by the manufacturers.

Personally, I'm not updating software in any of my 3DR and Chroma products. DJI screwed up this restricted flight area software thing a long time ago so it was only logical they would muck it up even worse later.
Jan 01, 2016, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
We need to recognize that manufacturers are simply using the flight restriction software to protect themselves from legal liability. It has nothing to do with flight safety. It's all about the money, their money.

We should also recognize that every brand of flight controller that uses GPS and receives manufacturer provided updates via the web will experience a software upgrade that restricts flight in locations determined by the manufacturers.

Personally, I'm not updating software in any of my 3DR and Chroma products. DJI screwed this restricted flight area software up a long time ago so it was only logical they would muck it up even worse later.
Now i'm not going to say DJI screwed the pooch with its first attempt at keeping people from flying around airports. As much as i hate to say it, idiots exist. But this is WAY too much. I wouldn't mind if it was a 400' limit in those areas, since that doesn't interfere with any manned aircraft, but "this is a warning zone, don't fly" is WAY too far, since they essentially put it over every podunk airport they could find.
Jan 01, 2016, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-29er
Now i'm not going to say DJI screwed the pooch with its first attempt at keeping people from flying around airports.
Why not?

DJI was the first to impose a 5 mile flight restriction around airports that only had a 3 mile ATA, if they had an ATA at all. They are now the first to place flight restrictions around all airports using a legal logic that does not exist. There is no legal basis for this. The FAA's recent edicts, including drone registration, are not law. None of what the FAA has been putting out to the public for that last couple years has been made law yet. If you elect to void that flight restriction they've already let people know they are storing that info for release to authorities if it's demanded/requested.

This isn't about preventing idiots from doing idiotic things, it's about preventing legal actions against a manufacturer. If the restricted areas prevent you from enjoying your very expensive toy, who cares? They got your money already. Perhaps you'll buy another to see if the one you have is broken?
Last edited by PatR; Jan 01, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
Jan 01, 2016, 11:25 AM
just out of curiosity, what is an ATA

Quick Reply