Traxxas Aton Drone Announced

Traxxas announced the Aton, a new kind of do-it-all drone designed to allow people who don't know how to fly to capture aerial video easily and safely...

Splash

Traxxas Releases New Drone

Traxxas announced the Aton, a new kind of do-it-all drone designed to allow people who don't know how to fly to capture aerial video easily and safely. It comes packed with some great sounding features and safety protocols. It certainly has a unique look with the body shaped like a futuristic car with a neat light system for night flying. It also has light indicators on top to let you know all the flight control systems are ready to go.

There are 3 flight modes, Film, Sport, and Expert. Film mode is for the pure beginner pilot and Aton will be easier to control. Sport mode cranks up the rates and allows for more maneuverability and aerobatics at the touch of a button. Expert mode is for experienced pilots only with full control rates and speed.

Currently there are two versions available, the Aton and Aton Plus. The Aton is $420 and comes with everything you need to fly including a 3000mAh lipo battery and fixed camera mount. The Aton plus is $525 and comes with everything you need, but upgrades the battery to a 5000mAh lipo and the camera mount to a 2-axis stabilized gimbal.

We're not sure what to think about the Aton. None of the technology is all that new or innovative. Fixed camera mounts produce terrible quality video and even 2-axis gimbals like they included on the Plus version are very outdated and produce poor quality video compared to 3-axis gimbals. You can see it in their marketing video too, we saw vibrations, shakiness, and other issues in the on board aerial video. They even got the LED lighting wrong. Red should be in the back like tail lights on a car, but that's just a minor pet peeve. No matter, we're sure they are going to sell well with the Traxxas name on it. Check out the Traxxas Aton webpage here and be sure to tell us what you think about the Aton in the comments below.

Dec 31, 2015, 12:48 PM
Dave's not here.
I think I'm a buyer...

◾Check Flight Ready Status
Check battery levels and verify GPS and radio connections

◾Adjust Film Mode Speed
Fine-tune your settings by simply touching and dragging the sliders on the screen

◾Navigate the Transmitter Menu Tree
Easily navigate the transmitter settings with a full-color graphical user interface

◾Adjust LED Settings
Turn the LEDs on or off from your smart phone

◾Adjust Rates
Tune how fast and responsive Aton is in Sport and Expert modes

◾Set the Geofence Radius
Designate virtual boundaries for Aton

◾Set the Flight Ceiling (Max altitude)
Set a vertical flight limit

◾Monitor Battery Status
See how much charge is left in your battery

◾Coming Early 2016:

FPV Framing View
3-Axis Gimbal Control
Headless Mode Operation
Dec 31, 2015, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Traxxas announced the Aton, a new kind of do-it-all drone designed to allow people who don't know how to fly to capture aerial video easily and safely.
Just what we need ..... more non-flyers with quads !!!
Dec 31, 2015, 01:05 PM
Dave's not here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysparkes
I hear you loud and clear. Everybody has to learn somehow but a 50mph unit shouldn't be your first IMHO.
Dec 31, 2015, 01:25 PM
More useless crap...yawn
Dec 31, 2015, 03:55 PM
Dave's not here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11
More useless crap...yawn
Just curious... what makes it useless?
Dec 31, 2015, 05:55 PM
they need to beat the phantom 1.1.1 pricing point imo much better. if they were 250 this would stand out. 400? ill take a dji anyday. even if this was 300 full setup, id take the no frills 400xx phantom 1.1.1.
Dec 31, 2015, 07:05 PM
liquid_courage
I hope traxxas continues to evolve with this, I would love to see something like this give the dji junk a run for their money in this class
Dec 31, 2015, 08:16 PM
The Ground is the Limit
Traxxas, the only company with decency not to sell out the enthusiast by going smart battery! Its all about the app ... and the GoPro control. Cheers to Aton for not promising a feature until it is real. With GoPro at 2.5Bn ... I think it should come in 2016 =P
Dec 31, 2015, 08:30 PM
Dave's not here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidcourage
I hope traxxas continues to evolve with this, I would love to see something like this give the dji junk a run for their money in this class
I just ordered one today.
I've been learning on and flying a Latrax Alias. It's been a riot and I've learned a lot. One thing I learned is that I like the sports type of flying. I also learned that my next purchase/investment would be brushless no doubt.
I like the fact that this unit covers a couple of uses quite well (or so it would seem). At 50mph it's not the fastest thing out there, but I'm not into racing anyway so who cares. With 3 modes available, after a bit of sports flying/flipping you can slap on a 2D or 3D gimbal and do some decent video capture.
Add the fact that you could strap on some FPV later, cool!
And the flight time seems great!
I can't wait for it to get here!
Jan 01, 2016, 05:06 AM
Zarapa's pilot !
Quote:
yep...but now with FAA registry
Jan 01, 2016, 06:02 PM
Quote:
I think you may be jumping the gun a bit - I'm told it will use several db to determine geofencing and has an 400' cap on altitude. If true, that would actually help reduce the number of 'offenses' be it intentional or accidental (think flying next to airport). That status bar is genius - much better then deciphering flashing leds...

I'd like to fly one before I pass any final judgement, but it is not too far off from what I'm currently building (only it's already flying, and doesn't require a lot of soldering, appears to have the ability to add a camera w/ gimbal, has an iPhone interface, doesn't require more FC programming, etc..).
Jan 01, 2016, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11
More useless crap...yawn
Not everybody has the need for the kind of professional, high-end, useful machines that you seemingly do.
Jan 02, 2016, 06:33 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I hope it has the same quality of the alias... that was a nice backyard fun flyer.
Jan 02, 2016, 06:36 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Now in stock
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFWFU&P=ML

Quick Reply