Dec 30, 2015, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Phoenix Model Super Cub PA-18 30cc GP/EP ARF 107"

Does anyone out there have this plane? Phoenix Model Super Cub PA-18 30cc GP/EP ARF 107" from Tower Hobbies. Looking at picking one of these up to give me something to do for the next month.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2015, 03:24 PM
I just opened mine a few days ago! Will probably start building it in a week or so. Using a DLE 30.
Dec 30, 2015, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
I just opened mine a few days ago! Will probably start building it in a week or so. Using a DLE 30.
That's the same engine I would use. Post some picks if you could. Thanks for the response.
Dec 31, 2015, 12:04 AM
I would love to assemble and fly one!
Last edited by tailskid2; Jan 06, 2016 at 01:02 PM.
Dec 31, 2015, 12:04 AM
Leroy G.
It sounds like the one I'm building size wise, using the DLE 30 also. I'll be curious and see what this bird looks like, hope you assemble it here and let us know what you think.

Leroy
Jan 06, 2016, 02:22 AM
Did a little bit the last 2 days. Different type of control horns but they seem to fit fine. Placed the servo shaft towards the LE and the supplied rods fit well.

Struts have long and short pieces. I put all the long ones to the rear and it seems to fit together OK.

Probably won't do the tail feathers for a few days..
Jan 06, 2016, 02:48 PM
I suppose some pictures would be nice but forgot..

couple of tips

I took a drill about 1/8" and twisted it a turn or two in the retainers for the clips to chamfer the holes. They go in real easy now.
You only have to cut the covering on one side of the struts to clear the holes for the screw in pieces in the middle. The threads don't go thru the other side.

an oops. After finishing the struts noticed the 4 little balls that are supposed to go into the strut ends! Decided (after the fact) they'll be fine wo them rather that take the 2 minutes to put them in..
Jan 06, 2016, 06:54 PM
Thread OP
Decided to order one, it showed up today.
Jan 08, 2016, 12:59 PM
the finish is quite good isn't it?

putting in the fuel tank this AM and see that the pick up line is for glow and not gas so am suspect of the stopper also.

rather that try to fit a gas stopper, I think I'll just put in a clear tank and move it back closer to the cg.

BTW the elevator pushrods has a fair bit of corrosion that had to be removed to get them to slide half decently; and the screw to hold the clevis to the elevator horn is impossible to get at after you put the stab on so do it before you attach the tail!
Jan 08, 2016, 05:55 PM
Used the original tank w/a Dubro stopper. It looks to be about 27cc so 40min flights on a DLE 30?

Had to hack the cowl to get the jug clear but it doesn't look too bad...

re: the tailplane struts - they seem to have a place for a ball to fit in but I didn't find any. After using the bolt to attach the end to the fuselage, the place where the end sits on the tailplane doesn't seem to have any support. I poked all over w/a pin but never hit anything like plywood. Probably should have opened it up and put in some hardwood but I just used some Goop where it attaches at the screw to, hopefully, increase the hold.

notice the throttle setup uses a cable? I disconnect the throttle return spring on all my gassers so will use a pushrod - hope it can fit around the tank or I may be using the clear one after all!

the provided bolts, spacers, and preinstalled nuts made installing the engine a breeze - except the top two blind nuts seemed to be full of paint so had to chase out the holes first.

almost time for a cg check
Last edited by stanordave; Jan 08, 2016 at 06:00 PM.
Jan 08, 2016, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
Its a gas engine airplane so I don't understand the glow fuel tank setup it comes with. Thanks for the other info.
Jan 09, 2016, 11:47 AM
From all the comments I'm hearing, this sounds like a "not recommended"??

Ultimately, I guess it depends on how well it flies, but there are a lot of other Cubs on the market.
Jan 09, 2016, 12:06 PM
nothing to not recommend really. just a few tidbits that come up in all planes...

but yes, the flight will be the main determinant.. soon hopefully..
Jan 09, 2016, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=Nergall;33674360]From all the comments I'm hearing, this sounds like a "not recommended"??

I wouldn't say that I think its a damn nice looking and well built plane.
Jan 10, 2016, 02:26 AM
Happy happy happy!

A straight wire pushrod ran from the throttle to the servo and cleared the tank!

Quick Reply