Jul 27, 2004, 07:52 PM
"HE CRASHES"
Thread OP

Quique's 72in YAK 54 Conversion

After seeing Quique fly at SEFF again, and checking out his YAK 54, I have decided that this would be my conversion. I have one being shipped tda to me and am starting to put the pieces together for the conversion. I know I will not fly it half as good as he did, but it fills my need for a pattern/3d plane.

You can see the plane at http://www.somenzini.com/wingspan.htm

It looks like a very nice plane that is almost 2M by 2M. It is not exactly scale, but it has some very nice lines. You can see the video from SEFF at https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4492

Then look for Vendors demo flights part 2 of 3.

He had his setup with a Hacker C50 12Xl Acro and a 10S3P TP Gen II pack. I think he had a 20/11 prop and a Hacker 90 Acro controller for a total of 11.5 lbs. What I am planning to put in mine is a C50 14XL with a 10S4P pack and hopefully a 22/12 prop. He is recommending all servos be at least 90 oz. I will see if I can get some JR 8411SA, looks like 5 of them. He is running 2 for the elevator.

My plan is to have this done for NEAT this year. I should have the kit by this weekend and start putting it together.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2004, 08:04 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
How much does a 10S4P run?
Jul 27, 2004, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
How much does a 10S4P run?
Around $790 for Gen2
Jul 27, 2004, 09:47 PM
Oh.
Jul 27, 2004, 09:53 PM
Can't wait to see it at NEAT.
Dave
Jul 27, 2004, 10:42 PM
Did you order it direct or through a hobby shop? Also did you find out what the wing area
is? I looked on the site but I could not find that info.

I am considering it with 9S3P or 4P and a C50-11XL 6.7 20x12 prop I am also looking at a 72" Edge in the same weight catagory or maybe even a 79" Edge at 13lbs

Dru
Jul 27, 2004, 11:40 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
I saw it fly at SEFF and have concidered it myself, but am improving my piloting skills first.

Cant wait to watch your conversion, the quality of the kit looked awesome.

You can see Quique fly his at SEFF in a video on my site
http://kepople.rchomepage.com

Kirby
Jul 27, 2004, 11:51 PM
BOSS
Those pics on the site are amazing Can't wait to see this thing Mike!

Jon
Jul 27, 2004, 11:55 PM
I'd like to e-power a 60 sized Yak.
Jul 28, 2004, 06:53 AM
"HE CRASHES"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlesnick
Did you order it direct or through a hobby shop? Also did you find out what the wing area
is? I looked on the site but I could not find that info.

I am considering it with 9S3P or 4P and a C50-11XL 6.7 20x12 prop I am also looking at a 72" Edge in the same weight catagory or maybe even a 79" Edge at 13lbs

Dru
I had my local hobby shop become a dealer. All they have to due is fax in a form. You can not order direct from them. I understand that www.ohiomodelplanes.com has them in stock, you would have to pay for shipping though.

the wing area is 1020sq

I think your setup would work, he was using a 12xl on 10s and a 20/12 prop.
Jul 28, 2004, 09:53 AM
Forgot how to fly
Mike,
Glad to see you doing this one. This plane has been getting good remarks from the gasser crowd.

-Mike
Jul 28, 2004, 02:37 PM
"HE CRASHES"
Thread OP
Thanks Mike. I have been reading those post by the gas guys. My only concern is prop clearence. I really don't know if a 22 will clear. I will probably not use the wheel pants as I fly off of some high grass, so i could put some bigger wheels on it. I have to wait and see when it comes in.

I still have to put your Sukoi together. I have the 4s3p Apogee pack ready to go in it. Just need some more time to get it going.

Mike
Jul 28, 2004, 02:53 PM
Forgot how to fly
Yeah, I thinkk QQ was spinning a 20" if I remember. Depending on the fuse width....the Gear that Chris (extremeflightrc.com), manufactures for his Yak conversion customers would probably fit this. It looks as though Maybe the CF Funtana gear would fit as well.

I understand about needing more time.......

-Mike
Jul 29, 2004, 10:06 PM
"HE CRASHES"
Thread OP
Got a call from the Hobby shop. The YAK is in. I will swing by tmr and pick it up. I will try to post some picts of it tmr night. I can't wait. All the parts are starting to come together. The 14 XL showed up on tuesday and the lipo packs are on there way from TP.

Mike, that pict is from the Extremeflight YAK? That might be a good option. Thanks. Can you swing a 22 in with that plane. I do realize the QQ's YAK is not exactly scale, it has a longer tail moment than the Extreme. He said that its actually a scaled down version of his TOC YAK, not a scaled down version of the original. I just wonder if the longer tail will eat up the prop clearance.

BTW: nice avatar, want a job in the phone company?

Mike
Jul 29, 2004, 10:31 PM
Forgot how to fly
Mike,
I was in one of those moods today, so the avitar needed spicing up. Lol, now you know Ma' Bell is already supporting my RC habit .

That picture is actually from QQ's. It shows a 3 bolt pattern on the bottom which can be adapted to any CF gear I would imagine. The one Chris provided for me is a 3 degree swept forward gear that is close to scale and can swing a 22". It looks like QQ's is horseshoed like the Funtana. I would think The CF Funtana Extra Tall would get it there easily. Either that or see if you can talk Cue into making you some as his on his Funtana 90 look great.

-Mike

Quick Reply