Dec 29, 2015, 01:29 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Thread OP
Idea

Any Interest in a Plans Cutting Service?

Having spent considerable time building a CNC router and teaching myself how to produce CAD drawings capable of being cut with it, I find myself using it only infrequently because I'm such a slow builder. I've also discovered I enjoy doing CAD drawings, but have already accumulated a backlog of new CAD plans I will struggle to build over the next couple of years. To make things worse, I've recently discovered the Outerzone, with its thousands of downloadable plans available for free, many of which I'd love to try digitizing, cutting and building.

It occurred to me that I might not be the only one who'd like a short kit of CNC-cut parts for plans on Outerzone or elsewhere, and that I might enjoy drawing up some cutfiles and cutting them on my router. Obviously my throughput would be small, but I'd be willing to try cutting short kits on demand for plans available online.

Here's how it might work:

- you find a plan you'd like to build
- I agree that it's cut-able, trace the part outlines at no cost to you
- I cut the parts and send them to you for a fee that would cover only the cost of the wood, shipping and a nominal profit
- I keep the cutfile and offer short kits of the plan for sale to anyone else who wanted one

Is anyone interested in acting as a guinea pig for this plans cutting service?

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2015, 02:28 PM
I would be interested. And I have a plan in mind. Send me a PM with your email, I will email it to you. Would there be any problems coming from Canada?

Jim
Dec 29, 2015, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Sounds great! I think the only cross-border issue might be shipping cost, but even that shouldn't be outrageous, especially with the Cdn$ down to around 72 cents US. PM on the way!

Steve
Dec 29, 2015, 03:28 PM
Definitely interested.
Dec 29, 2015, 05:25 PM
Arrowhead
Your timing could not be better! I'm looking to build a Cloudcraft Mercury... as well as a couple of other OZ models.
Dec 29, 2015, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Your timing could not be better! I'm looking to build a Cloudcraft Mercury... as well as a couple of other OZ models.
I found the Cloudcraft Mercury on Outerzone; is this the plan you're interested in? Did you want to build one original size or larger? FF or RC?

Steve
Dec 29, 2015, 06:27 PM
Hi, Steve. It's a great idea for fun and profit. I don't think we could possibly have too many suppliers for kits, short kits, and parts. If you want to turn it into a full-fledged business? I have an idea.

Offer "rib packs". A "rib pack" would be a set of CNC ribs cut to the airfoil and taper a person needs for that special pet project. I know whereof I speak because I just bought a scroll saw mostly because I have to cut out a bunch of ribs for my current projects and realized that I need more speed and precision than I can provide by cutting and sanding ribs by hand.

Cheers!

BTW. I am seriously considering building a Pfalz D.III available from Outerzone and, depending on how things work out, a short kit would be a great help.
Dec 29, 2015, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Hi Peter,

Rib packs would certainly be easy to produce. They're a great idea!

Steve
Dec 29, 2015, 08:14 PM
Good idea. I would be willing to use ya. I would be very much interested in the Goldberg Jr. Skylark and Jr. Falcon, both available on Outerzone.

Mike
Dec 29, 2015, 08:34 PM
Interested in a short kit of deVries Velie Monocoupe which is available on Outerzone.http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6216
Dec 30, 2015, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Holy cow, this'll keep me busy for a month! If you guys can be patient, I'll look at the plans you've chosen and let you know if I think I can cut them, and then we can get serious. I'm waiting on some feedback from JIMA, CF-105's Cloudcraft Mercury is being digitized as I type (well, almost), and I'll look at the Junior Skylark, Falcon and Velie Monocoupe today.

Steve
Dec 30, 2015, 10:52 AM
Hi Steve:
I think Peter has a good idea regarding ribs. My next project will likely be a tapered wing aircraft and a set of ribs would be great. I'll phone you.

Martin
Dec 30, 2015, 12:50 PM
Arrowhead
Wow! You sure jump in with both feet!

Yep, that's the Mercury. It's actually my entry for a balsa conversion contest, so I'd need it cut for free flight. I'll convert it to electric R/C when I build it. Default size is perfect.

I think you have a busy winter ahead of you!
Dec 30, 2015, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Irvine
Hi Steve:
I think Peter has a good idea regarding ribs. My next project will likely be a tapered wing aircraft and a set of ribs would be great. I'll phone you.

Martin
Hi Martin,

As long as you have root and tip ribs, I can interpolate the ones in between.

Steve
Dec 30, 2015, 07:55 PM
Hi Steve,
This is a great idea. I would also be interested in the Devries Velie Monocoupe. Have you considered using something like Paypal?
John

Quick Reply