Dec 29, 2015, 12:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Storm on the Horizon... A UAS/ Drone/RC/Quad was flying by the Presidential Motorcade

With all of the current discussion going on about registration going on, ABC news is reporting that a "drone" was flying near the Presidential motorcade in Hawaii today

Story here

The last thing we need is this right now.

There was a TFR in effect in the area. Always is around POTUS.

I'll be curious what calls for new regulation come up after this.
Last edited by Flight Dynamics; Dec 29, 2015 at 01:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2015, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Dynamics
With all of the current discussion going on about registration going on, ABC news is reporting that a "drone" was flying near the Presidential motorcade in Hawaii today

Story here

The last thing we need is this right now.

There was a TFR in effect in the area. Always is around POTUS.

I'll be curious waht calls for new regulation come up after this.
This is just too convenient to the FAA. I suspect it's a false flag as justification for a nationwide NOTAM for hobby aircraft. They wouldn't even have to actually do it, merely issue a statement to the press that "a drone was spotted". No proof would be needed.

FAA: Oh so you're not going to hurry up and register huh? Lets see how you like THIS then.
Dec 29, 2015, 01:03 AM
Interestingly enough, it looks like the story was pulled.
Dec 29, 2015, 01:10 AM
Thread OP

Link Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkorczak
My bad. Bad code in the link. The story is still up
Dec 29, 2015, 01:13 AM
Capitalist
You guys need to RELAX, I'm sure he paid his $5. So the world is good again. Remember that $5 was gonna fix everything!!!! I'm sure it was in a gun free zone as well..........
Dec 29, 2015, 02:03 AM
Radio-Actif
Speaking of false flags in October when the FAA announced mandatory registration the local Baltimore TV news aired a report of a commercial plane and drone near miss. The airline pilot used his iPhone to take a photo of the drone which was a Shadow RQ-7! That's a military drone with 12 foot wingspan made by AAI in Maryland!

The reporter described it as a 'hobbyist RC plane'. That's a complete fabrication and is nothing more than a tool for causing hysteria. Never mind that it was at a commercial airline altitude.

How many of these 'drone' close calls are actually military or DHS drones flying in commercial airspace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
This is just too convenient to the FAA. I suspect it's a false flag as justification for a nationwide NOTAM for hobby aircraft. They wouldn't even have to actually do it, merely issue a statement to the press that "a drone was spotted". No proof would be needed.

FAA: Oh so you're not going to hurry up and register huh? Lets see how you like THIS then.
Dec 29, 2015, 04:03 AM
Unregistered night flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkorczak
I just heard this story mentioned on America This Morning on ABC. They might have pulled it from the source you're thinking of, but the media is going forward with it.
Dec 29, 2015, 11:10 AM
According to the story, it's the other way around. The Presidential motorcade drove by a guy flying his drone.

"The subject was completely unaware that the Presidential motorcade would be transiting the area of operation and immediately complied with law enforcement requests to cease and desist. No charges were filed. The motorcade proceeded without further incident."

In other words: NOTHING TO SEE HERE!
Dec 29, 2015, 11:18 AM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150
I just heard this story mentioned on America This Morning on ABC. They might have pulled it from the source you're thinking of, but the media is going forward with it.
I opened this up in my Blog at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2570445

This is just the beginning, I think!
Dec 29, 2015, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
According to the story, it's the other way around. The Presidential motorcade drove by a guy flying his drone.

"The subject was completely unaware that the Presidential motorcade would be transiting the area of operation and immediately complied with law enforcement requests to cease and desist. No charges were filed. The motorcade proceeded without further incident."

In other words: NOTHING TO SEE HERE!
A sensible reaction on the part of law enforcement, however here's the rub.

This guys is just minding his own business and out having some fun flying, and the motorcade happens along. The modeler has no idea the Pres is gonna drive by, and he has no obligation to check with anybody to see if a presidential motorcade is about to happen. So he's all good right?

NOPE There was a TFR prohibiting the operation of UAS and this is what the FAA/DOT is gonna have to wrestle with. A hobbyist with no knowledge of airspace rules, no real means to find out about them and probably would not be able to make sense of the TFR if it were handed to him. (Has RC flyer seen the actual TFR? They reference full size aircraft NAVAIDS and without a sectional are hard to figure out if you're in one or outside it.)

Quite simply, this whole thing is just becoming a Catch 22. Any licensed pilot that busts a TFR, WILL have the FAA trying to suspend their ticket for a period using the careless and reckless operations regs on the books, and rightly so. As a pilot it's my responsibility to check these and other things before my flight.

How are they ever gonna make this work on the hobby side? By current regs, this quad operator should face action by the FAA. Ignorance of the law is no defense. Should they pursue this? Of course not. What possible good will come of it? However if the FAA is gonna register UAS hobby operators, then we all have to play by the same set of rules, or the system wont work. This guy's operation in the TFR was inadvertent. Most GA pilots busting a TFR are minor and inadvertent as well. But the government can't treat one group one way and one group another.

The FAA needs to back out of the hobby side of UAS PRONTO. They cannot hope to police/regulate the hundred's of thousands of hobby flyers effectively, and the risk collapsing the whole system that manages and regulates air traffic in the US.

Regulate commercial UAS, i really have no problem with that. But please leave the hobby side alone.
Dec 29, 2015, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Dynamics
A sensible reaction on the part of law enforcement, however here's the rub.

This guys is just minding his own business and out having some fun flying, and the motorcade happens along. The modeler has no idea the Pres is gonna drive by, and he has no obligation to check with anybody to see if a presidential motorcade is about to happen. So he's all good right?
Yes. Same as if some people had been practicing archery in the same spot (I mention this because one place I often fly is an archery field); the Secret Service would have told them to cool it for a while, and then nothing more would have happened.

Quote:
Quite simply, this whole thing is just becoming a Catch 22. Any licensed pilot that busts a TFR, WILL have the FAA trying to suspend their ticket for a period using the careless and reckless operations regs on the books, and rightly so. As a pilot it's my responsibility to check these and other things before my flight.
I fly models. I'm not a airman. So I don't have that responsibility. So unless this guy was a full-scale pilot also, the FAA should take no action.
Dec 29, 2015, 06:15 PM
sno
sno
This is not news. Big whoop a dude was playing with his toy when obummer drove by. He stopped playing as soon as he was asked. He did not know the prez was in the area far as I can tell.
Dec 29, 2015, 06:18 PM
Even though the SS did not think it was a big deal, and as far as they are concerned, it is a closed matter, the FAA may think this is the perfect time to make an example. The new regs. are in place, and they have a fall guy. Would not surprise me if they try to burn the guy at the stake.
Dec 29, 2015, 06:19 PM
As far as being informed of current and pending TFRs the AMA has actually been a great help. I get an email every time there is a TFR for my home address and the clubs that I belong to also are notified by the AMA of a TFR affecting those flying sites.

Most have been for Presidential movements, but this fall there was a 3 day TFR for 35nm of Philadelphia for the Popes visit. I expect there will be many more with the election cycle spinning up and the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia this summer.

Making sense of the sectional chart provided in the notification can be a challenge, but there is an attached link to a file that is viewable with Google Earth that draws a nice clean red line on the map / satellite image showing exactly what area is under a TFR.

It may be a huge burden for the FAA but if they are going to venture down this road they will have to also notify all the affected registered pilots by zip code of pending TFRs.
Dec 29, 2015, 07:12 PM
You guys need to read this. It explains much of what is being discussed here.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/tfr/

Quick Reply