Dec 28, 2015, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hello all
New member with some questions on a Dumas 1249 I received for Christmas.

I want to build this as a static model. After reading the instructions and knowing this boat will not see the water do I really need to fiberglass the outside of boat or can someone chime in on how to finish hull for a static display please?
Also wanting to know how much glue I should buy?
Finally and good pre made display stands anyone would recommend ?

I am sure I will have other questions along the way. I also received the book "Mahogany in Scale" as a gift and have read thru it already but it does not address my questions. Thanks in advance for any input
Steve
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2015, 04:47 PM
Where's Pamela?
Fiberglass is not NEEDED for display... but plank seam separation is still possible, which might spoil your day a few years out.

For display mounting, you might like pedestals better than a cradle... plan ahead to build mountings inside the boat.
Dec 28, 2015, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
How about just resin on the hull? How about the glue? Any links to web sites for bases? Thanks
Dec 28, 2015, 07:56 PM
Where's Pamela?
Finish: Resin will build depth faster than coat after coat of varnish. But you'll still want a top coat of clear for the final polish... poly-u, spar varnish, automotive 2K clear, whatever you like. I used lacquer.

Stands: Most of us just build our own... it's a part of the hobby! The stand in the book is homemade.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637017
Dec 29, 2015, 07:15 AM
Submarine or Target?
BTW,

Welcome to the forum/hobby!

Dec 29, 2015, 07:41 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Welcome slinky!!, Just a thought, I too came here for research for "static" builds , but got hooked on how much fun it is to make something you built GO!! If you ever change your mind about RC-ing it ,it'd be one less thing to do, if you go ahead n seal her up in the build. Just an option ,..... Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Dec 30, 2015, 03:04 AM
I see all your typos
A friend once asked whilst looking at a boat I was building, "when you're finished, what are you gonna do with it?"

I never got to tell him it was intended for R/C but that phrase stuck with me. For most, the static build is a thrill that is soon over and its existence thereafter is little more than a dust collector. Build it for R/C, keeping it as scale as possible and you can have both--if not for you, then a legacy owner. Just a thought.
Jan 01, 2016, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
I get your thought. After reading about it all i will do as you suggested. I am into this build and so far coming along very well with a coupe of screw ups
Jan 02, 2016, 07:56 AM
Submarine or Target?
We're addicted to pictures around here. How's it looking?

Jan 02, 2016, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Well if I looked and tried to figure out picture posting I would. By the way it is coming along great. Hull is all built and moving on. I will say this I am getting smarter as I move along
Jan 02, 2016, 09:38 PM
I see all your typos
Well, when you reply to this thread, don't use Quick Reply. Either "Go Advanced" or use the blue "Post Reply" button right under the last post on the lower left.

Then add photos from your hard drive using "+Drag Files Here or Click to Browse" right under the message body field. You can edit them there, add a description or rename them.
Jan 03, 2016, 02:08 PM
Thread OP
I have seen rubber mats made with Chris Craft embossed also gauge bezels and better graphics for instruments. Any one know where these might be available? Thanks
Jan 03, 2016, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
Many hours of work and sanding and hull is done and fitting very well.
Jan 03, 2016, 04:11 PM
Submarine or Target?
Looks really, really good!

Sanding and painting are my least favorite things.
Jan 03, 2016, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
One question I have does the cockpit floor board go under the side panels? Seems time it should so it can sit on cross members. I broke the floor panel trying to figure it out. Frustrating !!!

Quick Reply