Dec 27, 2015, 01:43 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Thread OP
Discussion

Any interest in scanning 'Aircraft Described' drawings?

Not sure where is the best place to start this thread, it could fit into at least three different places, I mean say into the vintage, scale or scale drawings forums. But let's try here for a start. If this needs moving at some point, then so be it.

Is there any interest in scanning the old 'Aircraft Described' type of scale drawings that used to appear in the Aeromodeller magazine?

In an idle moment here I was leafing through some old magazines and came across the beautiful scale drawings of the PZL P-11c in Aeromodeller June 1960. That started me thinking. Attached below a scan, so you can see what I mean. I think these are very fine drawings, and I think they are interesting in a number of ways - as reference drawings of course, but also as pieces of graphic artwork, also as historical documents - I am often struck by what drawings leave out or get wrong, depending on when they were made.

Me, I am suddenly thinking how interesting it would be to have an archive of a few hundred of these all available free online in (say) PDF format for easy viewing and printing. All scanned in high resolution as crisp, clear, sharp images. All in one place with a good search facility on the front end.

My first question is this: is there anyone else out there interested in a project like this? I could not do this on my own, I have limited time available nowadays, many projects on the go already. I can help/manage/upload/etc but I can't do it all. Not on my own.

Second question is this: what format would people really like the scans to be in, to be most useful, most convenient? I have a habit of using PDF and harsh BW monochrome images (ie 2 colour black and white) but I am curious if people would maybe prefer say greyscale and JPG or something. I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the drawings.

Interested to hear any thought on this. If the idea turns out to be popular then we maybe use this thread here to thrash out the details of how best to proceed.

Attached the PZL drawing as a PDF. This is a tentative example of how I would suggest doing these. The pages with drawings were scanned at 800 dpi, the pages with text / pics were just scanned at 300 dpi.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2015, 02:53 PM
B for Bruce
That was an awesome feature! ! ! I'd be all over the idea ! ! !

Moreno than with the model plans I think you'd want to look into the copyright issue. Such drawings are likely under ownership of the artists or there estates. Sort of like Dylan and Matt drawings. But if there isn't any issues I know that I 'd LOVE to see such a project go ahead.
Dec 27, 2015, 04:55 PM
WMD
WMD
Thread OP
Thanks. I don't really want this thread to devolve into a long discussion about copyright (just yet), but I would quickly say in that respect, there are a few precedents in place. The Solid Model Memories site at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Ga....php?album=259 has hundreds of scans up on there, and they've been there for years. Also of course here on RCGroups the FF plans thread at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1534053 has I think a couple of hundred of these scale drawings by Aeromodeller posted by Algy2 up on there. Both of these examples have been in place for a couple of years now, at least.
Dec 27, 2015, 08:14 PM
B for Bruce
The response so far seems lukewarm. 131 views and only you and I talking.

Perhaps repost to the "Scale Views" forum?
Dec 27, 2015, 09:02 PM
I would certainly be interested, and appreciative!
Dec 27, 2015, 09:26 PM
Steel by day,Balsa by night
I too would love to find these posted on here or OZ
Dec 27, 2015, 11:56 PM
I'm prepared to do a few from my stack of old Aeromodellers.

The PLZ issue was one of the first issues of Aeromodeller I bought. I can even remember where and when I bought it in 1960.

It was Hobbyco, Sydney after a school excursion into the city.

How many aircraft were described in the series?
Last edited by locktite401; Dec 28, 2015 at 01:25 AM.
Dec 28, 2015, 01:59 AM
I'd love to see those drawings posted as PDFs, they are a wonderful resource
Dec 28, 2015, 03:57 AM
Slow builder
Very interested & prefer PDF but won't be heartbroken if you use Jpg or TIF or whatever.

Al
Dec 28, 2015, 05:29 AM
WMD
WMD
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401
...How many aircraft were described in the series?
Thanks to all for the encouragement so far.

Good question: how many? It gets complicated, because they used different titles for quite a few different numbered and unnumbered series that all to me look to be essentially the same thing. By this I mean they comprise essentially of a scale drawing along with a page of photo(s) and text. So... along with Aircraft Described, there was also Aeroplanes Described, Aeroplanes in Outline, Fighting Aircraft of the Present War, Famous Biplanes - these are just the ones I am aware of. Hopefully someone who knows more about all these can clairify.

The short answer is: keeping it just to 'Aircraft Described', the highest reference number I've spotted so far is 269. Would be nice to start with that core body of work, all as high quality scans.

I found a (full?) index of Aeromodeller articles online at http://www.eicnetwork.com/eic/Kirkham_Library.html in Excel format, that might help us. Actually, that's credited to Colin Usher, just noticed that at the bottom.
Dec 28, 2015, 05:47 AM
WMD
WMD
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
The response so far seems lukewarm. 131 views and only you and I talking.

Perhaps repost to the "Scale Views" forum?
Good point. Have asked the question and put a link from there https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post33561180 to here, just to get a bit more feedback, first. Hopefully. Thanks.

[Edit] Also asked on the from the scale forum too. Am frankly unsure of the protocol here, I dont want to spam too many forums with the same question.
Last edited by WMD; Dec 28, 2015 at 05:57 AM.
Dec 28, 2015, 06:18 AM
Yes - most definitely - Yes please. PDF preferred but whatever is easiest for you,

Mark.
Dec 28, 2015, 07:08 AM
*jj
*jj
Some of these seem to be reprinted in the 'Flying Scale Models' magazine, but I suspect that they are also playing fast and loose with the copyright business!
Dec 28, 2015, 08:55 AM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
Steve,

Maybe these should be posted to a special section on RCLibrary, dedicated to 'line drawings' and other similar artwork. Might even add magazine covers if the illustration is striking enough.
Dec 28, 2015, 09:50 AM
WMD
WMD
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw
Steve,

Maybe these should be posted to a special section on RCLibrary, dedicated to 'line drawings' and other similar artwork. Might even add magazine covers if the illustration is striking enough.
That's what I'm thinking - don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but if we reach a point where there are many and they all need putting in one place with a powerful search facility at the front, then a new section on RCLibrary might be the logical place. But that's a way off. Would make sense to me to run a thead here on RCGroups to get people working together on this first, posting them up on here as a start. It's just a more conversational and more team-friendly place for that kind of thing.

Quick Reply