Jul 27, 2004, 11:44 AM
Blue skies forever!!
Thread OP

Secret sauce for high gloss??

What is the best brand/type of gloss clear coat to use on a glass PSS sloper. The model will be primered in Rust-oleum and painted with Testors, Tamiya, or Krylon "rattle" can. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2004, 02:09 PM
First of all, I'd be careful with using to many brands of paint because you might get a chemical reaction from one to the other causing the paints to wrinkle up. I would suggest using one brand.....As far as a high gloss clear, I havent found one in a spray can yet. I spray automotive paint sometimes and automotive clear such as PPG, DuPont, etc., is the only thing I know that'll give you a nice super high gloss...strong also! But very expensive and you'll need either a spraygun or airbrush to shoot it with....
Jul 27, 2004, 02:14 PM
Krylon comes in clear and works great...

ericm
Jul 27, 2004, 02:27 PM
I'd follow Henry Vs advice on using different paints...on the PSS ME109 I once had(*tear*) I used Painter's Touch sandable primer and Krylon all round except for yellow, which was the Monokote spray paint stuff and I started getting the wrinkling Henry speaks of. For decent gloss I've used the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel stuff, multiple coats help.

dunno if it shows up well but here's an example
Jul 27, 2004, 02:29 PM
Where's the wind?
House of Kolor makes a very good clear. There is a store on the net that sells it in small quantities, i.e. 2 oz, 4 oz. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. Will need to be thinned and sprayed with an airbrush. I did a heli canopy with it and it came out very shinny and wet looking. It does take some elbow grease between coats. Final sanding was done progressively up to 24000 grit (yes three zeros) and then with compound. Took me a full week of evenings to do, but was very cool until I crashed it two weeks later. Color was House of Kolor Kameleon Pearl (color change paint) over pearl black basecoat.

Andrew
Jul 27, 2004, 02:30 PM
Design something new!
For the mega-clear, I use the automotive Polyurethanes. They are catalyzed, and harden like a rock. I use a spray gun and shoot it on.
Good paint stores have the clear. (House of Color)
Last edited by Carlski; Jul 28, 2004 at 12:16 AM.
Jul 27, 2004, 02:37 PM
The monokote Lusterkote is laquer-based (I think) and can cause problems if used with other paints, as Raymond found out. Best plan is to stick with one "system" of paint. But enamels are generally safe with other enamels.

ericm
Jul 27, 2004, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm
Krylon comes in clear and works great...
The Krylon is ok, but it doesnt really give a great high gloss look. I use the krylon if I just need to seal stuff in,.. like panel lines, decals, etc.
The good thing about automotive clear is that after it drys you can go back and color sand the surface with 2000 grit wet-sand paper than buff the hell out of it with maguires polishing compound and achieve a "glass" look to your plane
Jul 28, 2004, 01:19 AM
Blue skies forever!!
Thread OP
Thanks to all for the advice and painting tips. I think I'll give the automotive paints a try.
Jeff
Jul 29, 2004, 02:45 AM
I'VE HAD Lotsa Luck using "Bodger" Holts Auto spray paint straight from the can. They work best over Holts light grey primer .

Cheers. Patrick.

Quick Reply